Thread: Spry 27 July 2011

Spry 27 July 2011

Dustin, Mckell and I hit Spry Canyon yesterday. It was a beautiful day, but we were really glad we got an early start, because that approach would have been absolutely miserable (if not impossible) in the heat of the day.

Anyway the canyon was sweet, and we had a good time in there. I have to add, in my humble opinion, that a lot of the bolts were poorly placed for good rope pulls. Maybe I'm wrong, but we saw what we thought were several places where natural anchors could have been placed in more effective locations, or where bolts could have been placed better. It was a true shame how many rope grooves were in that canyon.

Anyway, it was in great condition. The deepest pool was about waist deep, and the water smelled funny, but was for the most part pretty clean. So, here are some pictures:

We did the optional rappel on the way down the boulder field. It turned out to be the coolest one!

Finally, I'm a huge fan of this video:

Last edited by ilipichicuma; 07-28-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Change video source
    --Cliff

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Video not avail.

Cool report though dude!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Nice TR, Cliff. Good to see you using the pinch anchor in the watercourse(your 2nd pic up)

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Video not avail.

Cool report though dude!
    Thanks! It just worked for me, but there may be complications because it's a Facebook video. I'll change it to Youtube once it's done processing over there.
    --Cliff

Nice work, wish I could have been there. Did you guys do Keyhole too?
    - Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    Nice work, wish I could have been there. Did you guys do Keyhole too?
    We didn't end up doing it. We decided to just head home and get back at a decent hour.
    --Cliff

X2 on the chokestone webbing. Way to Follow the watercourse
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru View Post
    X2 on the chokestone webbing. Way to Follow the watercourse
    That anchor was already there, so don't give us too much credit. Although you might like the anchor we built right after that one...

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dustinsc View Post
    That anchor was already there, so don't give us too much credit. Although you might like the anchor we built right after that one...
    because... ???

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    because... ???
    Dustin wasn't supposed to let that cat out of the bag, but we accidentally pulled our rope right before we realized that that was the anchor for the next drop as well. We weren't too scared because there was a group behind us, but, to our credit (at least I think so) we got ourselves out of that jam by building a deadman out of some sticks that we buried (very deep) in the sand, since there weren't any rocks down there. We backed it up on the test and it worked and got us out of there, so after we felt really stupid we actually felt pretty pleased with ourselves. Because we may have gotten ourselves into trouble, but we got ourselves out of it, too, and I think the problem solving aspect of canyoneering is my favorite.
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    Dustin, Mckell and I hit Spry Canyon yesterday. It was a beautiful day, but we were really glad we got an early start, because that approach would have been absolutely miserable (if not impossible) in the heat of the day.

Anyway the canyon was sweet, and we had a good time in there. I have to add, in my humble opinion, that a lot of the bolts were poorly placed for good rope pulls. Maybe I'm wrong, but we saw what we thought were several places where natural anchors could have been placed in more effective locations, or where bolts could have been placed better. It was a true shame how many rope grooves were in that canyon.

Anyway, it was in great condition. The deepest pool was about waist deep, and the water smelled funny, but was for the most part pretty clean. So, here are some pictures:

a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205890_10100124889871669_17827744_43459050_3167051 _n.jpg
    Well fellow, that is a really stunning photograph, I am in awe. Love your work!!!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Dustin wasn't supposed to let that cat out of the bag, but we accidentally pulled our rope right before we realized that that was the anchor for the next drop as well. We weren't too scared because there was a group behind us, but, to our credit (at least I think so) we got ourselves out of that jam by building a deadman out of some sticks that we buried (very deep) in the sand, since there weren't any rocks down there. We backed it up on the test and it worked and got us out of there, so after we felt really stupid we actually felt pretty pleased with ourselves. Because we may have gotten ourselves into trouble, but we got ourselves out of it, too, and I think the problem solving aspect of canyoneering is my favorite.
    In the past, that same spot you built your anchor in has been a swimmer, from disconnect to the start of the next stage.

I don't recall hearing the story(probably have) of the bolts placed high on canyon right, just above the last stage you talk about. I believe a reasonably good climber could reach it.

Dustin wasn't supposed to let that cat out of the bag
    I did no such thing! I just mentioned that we built an anchor.