Thread: one night in Zion from Lava Point: worth it to get shuttle?

one night in Zion from Lava Point: worth it to get shuttle?

Hi all,

I've got a reservation coming up for one night at campsite #6 in Zion (telephone junction). We were planning to hike from Lava Point in to the campsite, spend a night, and hike back out after poking around the area a bit.

Another option is to stay at #6 one night, and then the next day keep hiking down to the grotto and do Angel's Landing (we definitely want to do Angel's, if not now then as a separate daytrip).

The second option would require hiring a shuttle either to 1) take us back to our car at Lava Point or 2) having a shuttle drop us off at Lava point to begin with and leaving our car at the visitor center).

My basic question is whether doing the through hike rather than in/out from Lava Point is worth the expense/effort of setting up the shuttle. I've heard the shuttle can be in the $75 range, which is pretty steep for us broke college students.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You might try hitchhiking? Or, re-post this on the canyoneering forum. Folks are always doing shuttles up to Lava for canyon venues.

I'd say it'd be worth it, but, I like the concept of the through hike and pickin' up a car at Lava is a long reload. Nice to not have to do that. Depends on how much time v money you have.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    for a shuttle ask tyler and be flexable at going at an off hour. you might be able to get a reasonable rate for your budget then
    http://www.canyoncountryguides.com/

Why not hike up and back?

It would definitely be best to do the thru-hike, but if you can't pull it off I'd suggest hiking up from the bottom. It's much more scenic this way and worth the extra legwork (literal vs shuttle) IMHO.

That's a good camp BTW -- not as scenic as #5, but a good location. If you do hike up -- go ahead and continue farther up while exploring to check out the viewpoint to Imlay. You can also fill up on water here.

- Jamal
    Last edited by Jammer; 07-27-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added detail

Thanks all for the info. Posted a thread in the canyoneering forum. We definitely do plan to do it either way, shuttle or not.

Jammer: Can you clarify what you mean? I was told going in from Lava Point to #6 was more scenic than coming in from the grotto and would also help us avoid crowds.

Just my opinion -- but I bet many would agree. Views are non-stop up the climb past Angel's Landing and on to the mesa with views into Behunion and lower end of Phantom Valley. Either way you go arguably the best views are of the West Rim near camp 5. Coming in from Lava Point just has distant views of the Pink Cliffs and the northern part of the West Canyon and Imlay. BUT... it's a much easier hike and you will bypass the circus of people going up to Angel's Landing. It's a toss up. Hope you get the shuttle so you can see both and then offer up your persepective.

- JG