Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zion - Mystery Canyon

Zion - Mystery Canyon

Lucky enough to get permits for Mystery Canyon again. This time it seems like the area around top of the water fall is a lot different than before. There is so much sand now that the pools are gone. You used to need a swim to get past the second to last rappel, now its ankle deep. Also there used to be deeper pools. Not bad or good, just fun to see how much it changes naturally.

Also, thanks to whoever put the rock piles at the start of the hike to help show the way. It still can be very easy to go down the wrong canyon.

More pictures and gps information at:
    http://trailtip.com/Member/DerekHolm...3/Gallery.aspx

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by derekholmes View Post
    Lucky enough to get permits for Mystery Canyon again.
    *phony eastern european accent* This Zions Bank, it has canyons too? *off accent*

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Since you were just hanging out at a bank, and have nothing to live for, there is no reason to wear a helmet, right?

Donde Va?

Donde va "Zions?"

Quote Originally Posted by tdoughty View Post
    Donde va "Zions?"
    Perhaps he meant "Zion's" as a possessive noun but forgot the apostrophe. Like "Zion's Mystery" or "Pandora's Box".

k

Next to Vells Fargo.
    Life is Good

Cool report dude! I have tried to get permits for this multiple times but always fails. Someday!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Thanks for the update. Love Mystery.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Cool report dude! I have tried to get permits for this multiple times but always fails. Someday!
    How did you get on "The List"?
    Life is Good

What's the big deal with Mystery? It's Tom's favorite and everybody loves it. Is it the last rappel? Because, 'Not Imlay' has a nice last rappel....people clap there too.

Mystery was my first technical canyon. Great memories there. As for canyons go, yes there are much better canyons in Zion, much better. But let's keep selling Mystery shall we? (hint, hint... )
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    How did you get on "The List"?
    I'm sure I'm on a couple people's "list"

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm sure I'm on a couple people's "list"
    Your on mine, want to go do Benson Cr. tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Your on mine, want to go do Benson Cr. tomorrow?
    Haha I wish! Work work.....

Dang guys, take it easy on the Trip Report poster It'd be nice if he came back after the Zions and helmet criticism.

But yeah, nice report, Derek. People get a little crazy around these parts when Zion is referred to as Zions.

but seriously, nice photos dholmes, thanks for posting.

can you tell me why you choose not to wear a brain bucket? Or perhaps I'm assuming it was you too when in fact it's your partners who made that personal decision? Thread drift, but I'm just wondering why someone would make that choice when the chances/possibilities and consequences are so readily apparent......

not that i'm a saint in this area, i've climbed many rock routes without, but have never done a canyon without one, particularly a wet one. although i did find myself one rap into zion's pine (on a keyhole/pine trip) with my helmet still clipped to my harness!!! i'll blame it on my partners rather than my soggy brain....

Quote Originally Posted by tdoughty View Post
    but seriously, nice photos dholmes, thanks for posting.

can you tell me why you choose not to wear a brain bucket? Or perhaps I'm assuming it was you too when in fact it's your partners who made that personal decision? Thread drift, but I'm just wondering why someone would make that choice when the chances/possibilities and consequences are so readily apparent......

not that i'm a saint in this area, i've climbed many rock routes without, but have never done a canyon without one, particularly a wet one. although i did find myself one rap into zion's pine (on a keyhole/pine trip) with my helmet still clipped to my harness!!! i'll blame it on my partners rather than my soggy brain....
    You'd be surprised (I think) at the number of people who do canyons without a helmet. And the number of people who avoid posting here because of the amount of criticism and lack of welcome they receive.

You'd be surprised (I think) at the number of people who do canyons without a helmet. And the number of people who avoid posting here because of the amount of criticism and lack of welcome they receive.

So they are being criticized for things that might demonstrate their competency? That actually explains a lot.

Wow... bring on the criticism i guess! Sorry, I thought this was a hiking forum not a english critique!!!

Mystery is popular... well probably because its hard to get permits for ;) The trick is to have people get there first in line the night before the climb and get the walk in permits. It is a great canyon that isn't too strenuous. I like a lot of the other zionS hikes just as well though. Oh and to open another bag of worms, I rock climb, done plenty of canyons, and don't wear a helmet. Sorry not going to change. Its not a rebelious thing, just honestly don't see a need. Do wear one on motorcycle ;)

Quote Originally Posted by derekholmes View Post
    Oh and to open another bag of worms, I rock climb, done plenty of canyons, and don't wear a helmet. Sorry not going to change. Its not a rebelious thing, just honestly don't see a need. Do wear one on motorcycle ;)
    Huh...... well there you have it.
    Life is Good