Thread: Heaps v. Imlay?

Heaps v. Imlay?

I did Heaps 3 weeks ago and Imlay (sneak) on Friday. Both canyons were fairly full; I think I used a pack toss in Heaps and 2 pack tosses in Imlay. I understand that the canyons are different animals when the water levels are low, but I didn't feel that the canyons compared in how exhausting they were. I felt far more exhausted at the end of Heaps than at the end of Imlay. Is this a function of the length of the day? Would I be more exhausted if I'd have done the full Imlay? (Although I think that the longer canyon would still be less energy than the miserable Sneak approach.) Is Imlay more technical when water levels are low? Is that why they merit a comparison? I just felt that the narrows were longer and more exhausting in Heaps. Anyone else feel this way or was I just a wimp when I did Heaps?
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    I did Heaps 3 weeks ago and Imlay (sneak) on Friday. Both canyons were fairly full; I think I used a pack toss in Heaps and 2 pack tosses in Imlay. I understand that the canyons are different animals when the water levels are low, but I didn't feel that the canyons compared in how exhausting they were. I felt far more exhausted at the end of Heaps than at the end of Imlay. Is this a function of the length of the day? Would I be more exhausted if I'd have done the full Imlay? (Although I think that the longer canyon would still be less energy than the miserable Sneak approach.) Is Imlay more technical when water levels are low? Is that why they merit a comparison? I just felt that the narrows were longer and more exhausting in Heaps. Anyone else feel this way or was I just a wimp when I did Heaps?
    In current conditions, yeah I see your point.

Imlay has a lot of sand in it now, which makes the potholes less deep, thus easier to get out of. Several of the "usual keepers" are not keepers because of the sand. Hopefully this will change one of these winters.

Imlay loses water quicker than Heaps, being not so deep. So the keepers kick in faster in Imlay. Imlay also has a smaller catchbasin, so it does not refill as often.

When Heaps gets low and difficult, not many people do it. Most people's experience of Heaps is ONLY when it is relatively full. Also, a lot of stumps blew out of Heaps a couple years ago, so it has become easier.

At the end of the day when tired, select one: A. stumble down the Narrows for an hour and a half; or B. Big Wall rappel sequence.

Certainly A. is easier than B.

T

Also, the full meal deal in Imlay is more tiring. Agree with Tom about your choice of obstacles at the end of the day. This should be a major consideration when choosing Heaps or some other canyon. Heaps for me, in the conditions I have done both Heaps and the full Imlay, is more tiring. Seems to be much more backpack fighting going on in Heaps among other things.
    Life is Good

Imlay has a lot of sand in it now, which makes the potholes less deep, thus easier to get out of. Several of the "usual keepers" are not keepers because of the sand. Hopefully this will change one of these winters.

Imlay loses water quicker than Heaps, being not so deep. So the keepers kick in faster in Imlay. Imlay also has a smaller catchbasin, so it does not refill as often.
    Is there any seasonality to the keeper status of a pothole? Fall vs Summer vs Spring ??

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRock View Post
    Is there any seasonality to the keeper status of a pothole? Fall vs Summer vs Spring ??
    The potholes almost always get filled up by winter snow / spring snowmelt, so they start the summer season full, then work their way down over the summer, as the hot air erodes away the pools. If thunderstorms HIT the watersheds, they might fill the potholes up again -- but it takes "direct hits".

So - early summer - almost always full. Late summer into fall - depends on the T-storms. Often, both canyons get in more interesting conditions until some extended rainstorms in the fall top them back up.

Tom

Thanks Tom.

I descended Imlay and Heaps top down years ago, maybe '02 and '04, in mid-Oct timeframe. I didn't find any pothole that couldn't be climbed out of.

Anyway, I'm returning late Sept to do the Sneak of Imlay. Reading some of these blog posts on potholes, anchors and conditions has got my attention. Rightly so, I just want to prepare for what to expect that might be different from what I experienced!!

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRock View Post
    Thanks Tom.

I descended Imlay and Heaps top down years ago, maybe '02 and '04, in mid-Oct timeframe. I didn't find any pothole that couldn't be climbed out of.

Anyway, I'm returning late Sept to do the Sneak of Imlay. Reading some of these blog posts on potholes, anchors and conditions has got my attention. Rightly so, I just want to prepare for what to expect that might be different from what I experienced!!
    Good on ya.

Welcome to the Bogley forum, Slickrock. May your stay here be enjoyable, and occasionally feisty. There is a place to introduce yourself:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?12-Newbies

Not sure many people read that though...

Tom