Thread: Duck Lake- Uintas- July 22nd-24th, 2011

Duck Lake- Uintas- July 22nd-24th, 2011

Finally got out to the Uintas this year. As we all know that the snow has lingered far to long, so you had to know I was excited when I got the call from Chris and Collin to get ready we were heading out. We had a large crew, I traveled with my friends Robbie, Ryan and Alex, and Muskie and Mike came in on Sat. Collin had 3 friends with him, so we had a rather large party. But not on the trail at the same time. We got to the trail head Friday evening and made a 20 min push to the pass. Took a small break and then full speed charged our way down to Duck Lake. We had pretty good light all the way to Pot Lake, then it started to get pitch. We made it right at pitch to camp to find Chris and Collin and their friends enjoying some cold ones. We pitched camp and joined everyone and had a great night by the fire.

Morning brought clear skies and the sun peaking up over the ridge tops. I got up right away and threw a line in and on my third cast, landed a nice cutty. It was on from there. everyone was fishing, and catching. They were even boiling on Duck Lake till about noon. This is when the rest of the crew decided to just hang at Duck, so me and Chris rolled up to Beaver Lake. You can really tell how much snow we got, the meadow up was a running torrent and really squishy in places. As we got to the meadow, I had a slight accident with my camera bag, and it broke my UV filter on my lens. I hate broken glass! But to my surprise that is all the damage that happened from the drop. After cleaning up the mess, I put on my polarized filter to protect the lens. To my relief, everything was working like a charm. We got up to Beaver Lake and there was no one there. We had the place to ourselves, but the fishing was very slow. No matter, Chris got a new wrist rocket for his birthday, and we shot it a bunch while having some beers in the back basin above Beaver Lake. On the way out of Beaver, we fished the tributary and both caught dinner. We headed back to camp for a fish cookout. Our friends Mike and Muskie had shown up while we were gone, so the whole crew was there. After a great meal, everyone got out the beverages and the fire going. Midnight drew and I did not want to turn into a pumpkin, so I headed for my tent for some shut eye.

Sunday morning came far too early for me. I was sleeping so soundly when the sun finally hit my tent. I got up, brewed some coffee, sat lakeside with my brew while Chris, Mike and Muskie were getting the glass before the winds picked up. I broke camp, and had a bite. I was packed and ready to go by 11 am, so I decided to wander ahead of everyone to shoot pictures and just enjoy the great weather we have had all weekend. After about an hour I found myself standing on the pass, and took a long sun break because the temps were perfect, slight breeze and no skeeters, which were pretty gnarly morning and dusk at Duck Lake. After a nice time kicking it on the pass, I made the final push to the car. Waited about a 1/2 an hour and the crew showed up. We all had a beer to celebrate a great weekend in the mountians. Duck Lake is not the most picturesque place in the Uintas, not the farthest jaunt out there you can do, and there are people in that basin a lot. We and one other couple that was camped up by the inlet were the only overnight residents all weekend. But it is a fun place to get away, and just unwind. I had a great weekend, as did the crew. Clear skies, very little wind, and very warm temps. And we all had fish for dinner. Good times all around!
    Last edited by Dr. Nebz; 12-23-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Leaving

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Good times! Great to hear about successful trips coming outta the Uintas.

Yeah, the wait was worth it. Had such a great time, ready to roll out there again. Missed it a ton for sure.

Beautiful pics of that area. Your post and photos gave more information about the conditions of the mid level Uintas than is available anywhere else right now.

I'm heading to Wier/Marjorie/Long/Pot area this week and after seeing your photos can't wait to get there. I am taking my 4 kids for their first experience in the backcountry and am excited to hit the lakes with them.

Any suggestions on flies/lures beyond the usual for the Uintas? What was so hot at Duck lake? Thanks for the tips and thanks for the great photos and information!

Quote Originally Posted by fryermd View Post
    Beautiful pics of that area. Your post and photos gave more information about the conditions of the mid level Uintas than is available anywhere else right now.

I'm heading to Wier/Marjorie/Long/Pot area this week and after seeing your photos can't wait to get there. I am taking my 4 kids for their first experience in the backcountry and am excited to hit the lakes with them.

Any suggestions on flies/lures beyond the usual for the Uintas? What was so hot at Duck lake? Thanks for the tips and thanks for the great photos and information!
    Thanks! Your kids are gonna have a good time. It is all just starting to bloom out there, flowers everywhere. Mid-week you guys are gonna have that place to yourselves. Awesome!

As far as what we were fishing with, Caddis worked in the AM, after that Renegades, Leeches worked as well. Our friend Muskie was using a silver spinner, and he caught on those. Have fun out there!

Great trip report, I'm jealous. I went to Beaver Lake a few years ago and caught more fish than I could count in the shallows on the Eastern end. It's a beautiful little lake, and your pictures are great. I like Nature's Smiley Face, I've caught a couple nice brookies in that meadow.

nice pics. i saw you guys in the parking lot as i was getting ready to head up to divide lakes for the night. perfect temps, lots of fish, lots of bugs, no pics though.

Quote Originally Posted by justo View Post
    nice pics. i saw you guys in the parking lot as i was getting ready to head up to divide lakes for the night. perfect temps, lots of fish, lots of bugs, no pics though.
    Friday or Sunday in the lot?

Were you heading up to Three Divides? We want to hit that whole area in a few weeks. How was the fishing? Yeah, the skeeters at Duck Lake were gnarly AM and PM. Once the sun went down they were gone. I still have bites that are itching me. And I had on 100% DEET on, and still got some nasty bites. I hate that DEET stuff, but I hate skeeters even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by brettcottrell View Post
    Great trip report, I'm jealous. I went to Beaver Lake a few years ago and caught more fish than I could count in the shallows on the Eastern end. It's a beautiful little lake, and your pictures are great. I like Nature's Smiley Face, I've caught a couple nice brookies in that meadow.
    We each got a couple up at Beaver, but it was really slow for us. The meadow in between Duck and Beaver was good stream fishing though.

Any hints on what they were hitting so well for you up at Beaver?

I had to laugh when I looked over and the meadow seemed to be grinning at me. I had to shoot that. I try to capture smiles whenever I can.

Nice report and pics! A couple of years ago when I was back in there I found that Weir was the best fishing...at least then. But when I was catching them at Duck, I had my stove there on the shore and took one right off the line, gutted it, and threw it in the frying pan. It was so fresh it flopped around in the pan. I've never tasted better trout in my life.

I've heard that Fire Lake is really good early in the morning. I don't suppose you made it up there, because you didn't write about it, but I'd like to find someone who can confirm it for me. The time I hiked from Duck up to Fire, was mid-day and we caught nothing.

Thanks! I have been out there three times now, and the fishing for the most part has been great.

We wanted to head up to Fire Lake, but the crew was just lounging around. Me and Chris went up to Beaver Lake and the basin behind it. So not sure on the fishing up there at Fire Lake.

Awesome Trip.... Great Pics, Can't wait until I get back up there again this year.
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    Friday or Sunday in the lot?

Were you heading up to Three Divides? We want to hit that whole area in a few weeks. How was the fishing? Yeah, the skeeters at Duck Lake were gnarly AM and PM. Once the sun went down the were gone. I still have bites that are itching me. And I had on 100% DEET on, and still got some nasty bites. I hate that DEET stuff, but I hate skeeters even worse.
    Sunday. i saw you guys crack beers and i wanted one even though i hadn't even started hiking yet. yes three divide. fishing? AWESOME!!!! i lost count. Clyde lake is the first you encounter up there, it's the biggest and seems to have the best fishing. the next lake i thought was divide #1 but now i think is named something else. that lake also has excellent fishing. the next 2 lakes are divide #1 and #2. #1 has ok fishing and #2 doesn't seem to have fish at all. i camped on the far west end of #2 and had to hike back to the first 2 lakes to fish. not a big deal though as they are all close together. oh and there were still some piles of snow left to bury the beer in. but they will be gone this week.

Quote Originally Posted by justo View Post
    Sunday. i saw you guys crack beers and i wanted one even though i hadn't even started hiking yet. yes three divide. fishing? AWESOME!!!! i lost count. Clyde lake is the first you encounter up there, it's the biggest and seems to have the best fishing. the next lake i thought was divide #1 but now i think is named something else. that lake also has excellent fishing. the next 2 lakes are divide #1 and #2. #1 has ok fishing and #2 doesn't seem to have fish at all. i camped on the far west end of #2 and had to hike back to the first 2 lakes to fish. not a big deal though as they are all close together. oh and there were still some piles of snow left to bury the beer in. but they will be gone this week.
    We had extras, you should have stopped by for a brew!

Nice to hear the fishing starting to open up in that area. We has some piles of snow in the trees at Duck Lake, so it was nice to have our beverages cold all weekend. I think between everyone that packed beer in, we had two 30 packs total in beer up there. Adam and his girlfriend had mexican cream and serrano peppers and made fish tacos with fresh corn tortillas for the whole camp. I think we had enough food to feed at least 5-6 more people up there. It was a crazy good time!

looks sweet! I almost went out to duck lake this past before I settled on ryder
    "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by gloo View Post
    looks sweet! I almost went out to duck lake this past before I settled on ryder
    Yeah, I saw your post for that. I would have loved to hit Ryder as well. Your pics looked great. For sure bringing my gaiters if we head up there soon.