Thread: Boulder Mountain

Boulder Mountain

As some of you know, we'd originally planned on Kings Peak as our destination, but due to the large amounts of snow and water still in the Uintas, our plans changed and we went to Boulder Mountain. The guy who prompted us to go there didn't like the suggestion of Deer Creek Lake or Chris Lake because on the map they looked too close to a main road, so we ended up on top, near Rim Lake and Spectacle Lake. The funny thing was, there were roads all over the place up there and our "backpacking" trip ended up being about 1/4 mile long to the far side of Rim Lake. Still we only saw one other vehicle in our 4 day/3 night trip.

The scenery was beautiful, but the fishing sucked, to put it mildly. At Rim Lake, where we camped, not a single fish ever hit the surface. There was an old bullet-hole ridden windmill on the shore and a sign that had fallen that said, "The windmill was installed to pump air into the lake so the fish don't die over the winter". It didn't look like it had been used in years and we tried to spin it and were able to with difficulty. I think it would have taken a wind of 60 to 70 mph to get it moving, and that's if the bullet holes weren't causing it to pressure like a sieve, which they would have been. We tried fishing at Spectacle Lake, but again, no fish hitting the surface. Our last night there, we saw a couple of rings on top, but I think most of the fish had died during the winter and they just hadn't restocked.

It rained hard our first three days as well.

We spent most of our time then, hiking around the mountain top, looking off the edge of the cliff, finding small lakes etc. It was very pretty, but not as nice as the Uintas. Of course, I knew that before we ever left and was always dismayed that we had decided not to at least go somewhere in the Uintas. Even the guy who wanted us to go there said that after going there "it was pretty, but not as pretty as the Uintas".

I think I'd go back, but not to this particular area, unless it was just to do some four-wheeling or something. I'd like to try the Deer Creek Lake area sometime for fishing. Name:  Pictures 2011 099..jpg
Views: 1984
Size:  84.1 KB The lakes were quite photogenic at times.

Name:  Pictures 2011 124..jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  121.8 KB This fungus is and example of the varied colors in the forest.

Name:  Pictures 2011 070..jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  117.0 KB The wildflowers, like everywhere this year, were amazing.

Name:  Pictures 2011 111..jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  36.0 KB One evening, we planned on taking a bunch of sunset shots.We joked around about someone cutting down that tree in the middle.

Name:  Pictures 2011 056..jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  66.6 KB Rim Lake in the afternoon light.

Name:  Pictures 2011 062..jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  43.6 KB Spectacle Lake at dusk.

Name:  Pictures 2011 112..jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  38.1 KB I don't know why this picture is rotated like this. It's rotated correctly on my computer. Turn computer on its side for a better look.

Name:  Pictures 2011 104..jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  32.2 KB

Name:  Pictures 2011 061..jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  96.6 KB My friend built this fireplace. Behind the fire at the domed end inside he created a ledge and used it as a reflector oven to bake cornbread and apple cake to perfection.Name:  Pictures 2011 118..jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  23.6 KB We waited for some nice sunrise shots as well, but they never really materialized. This was the best one I got.

Name:  Pictures 2011 088..jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  59.0 KB The rain showed up usually in the early afternoon. Since we didn't want to go back to camp every day at that time, sometimes we got caught out in it and hid under some overhanging rocks or clumps of trees.

Name:  Pictures 2011 065..jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  113.1 KB More cool flowers.

Name:  Pictures 2011 125..jpg
Views: 2580
Size:  126.1 KB We pretty much figured that underneath this rock was some kind of animal den. I told my friend to crawl back in there and I'd take his picture. He refused. I also told him not to remove that bent sapling or the rock would fall down.

Name:  Pictures 2011 080..jpg
Views: 1540
Size:  133.9 KB Steep precipices and cliffs line much of the top of Boulder Mountain. Here's one place you wouldn't want to lose your footing.

Name:  Pictures 2011 113..jpg
Views: 1479
Size:  34.9 KB There's that darned tree in the middle again.

Name:  Pictures 2011 108..jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  37.0 KB Behind us, when we took the sunset shots, the moon was putting off its own show.

Name:  Pictures 2011 110..jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  Pictures 2011 089..jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  103.9 KB In between rain storms, the weather would get completely calm and offer many opportunities to take reflection shots.

Name:  Pictures 2011 115..jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  36.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice TR!

I have never been to Rim or Spectacle Lakes up there. I just have been to Deer Creek Lake, Moosemans, and Chris Lake and Deer Creek that runs between them. Pics look awesome! Much greener than when I was down there. Sounds like the weather was hit or miss for you. I know from my report in June that I mentioned that Deer Creek Lake had zero fish alive in it, and we could see them belly up on the bottom, dead from winter kill. They got the massive snow pack too this past winter. It has made fishing everywhere just kind of off, for sure from all the angling reports I am getting all over the state that it is not "hot" fishing anywhere. Try the trail I reported on next time, I think you will have a better experience.

Yep, great TR! Sorry to hear about the sporadic weather...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    Nice TR!

It has made fishing everywhere just kind of off, for sure from all the angling reports I am getting all over the state that it is not "hot" fishing anywhere.
    I'm starting to find that out. We just got back from Currant Creek and the fishing wasn't great there either.

We just missed you on the Boulder top, arriving 7/25 for a BSA 50 miler. I just finished a TR (here) and came across yours. We camped at Rim Lake as well. We did the Great Western Trail which was single track the whole way. Most everywhere else was like you said, two-track. You're right, beautiful area, but there are prettier. Very remote, fishing was a no-go, but a nice destination nonetheless.

Great thread. I'm not in the "ultralight" category, my base weight for a week long trip is around 30 lbs. My two best weight savings items are my sub kilo down bag (REI) and NeoAir mattress (thermarest). No compromise on comfort but lighter than my previous synthetic bag and more comfortable than my old pad also. Got a nice light 4 lb tent, but the tarp guys go much lighter.