Thread: Popular Capitol Reef swim hole closed after near drownings

Popular Capitol Reef swim hole closed after near drownings

By Mark Havnes - The Salt Lake Tribune

A popular swimming area on the Fremont River in Capitol Reef National Park has been closed after three near drownings since June.

Scott Brown, chief ranger in the Wayne County park, said Friday that a section of river known as Fremont waterfall was closed to swimming on July 16 and will remained closed during the season after a 12-year-old California girl and a 32-year-old Logan man nearly drowned on July 15. A 6-year-old Wisconsin boy was the first to nearly drown at the same location on June 20.

The parking lot at the popular site has been closed and signs warning visitors not to swim have been posted until temperatures drop, making swimming impractical.

Brown said the 6-year-old, Cody Grundstrom, was swimming in the pool created by a waterfall plunge and was sucked under the water.

Jay Torgersen, a fire captain with the Unified Fire Authority in Salt Lake County who is trained in swift-water rescues, and his wife, Tali, were able to get Cody out of the water and perform CPR.

"I tried to hang onto rocks, but the waterfall took me toward it," Cody told The Salt Lake Tribune in a June 21 interview from his hospital bed at Primary Children

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like a nice shallow pool to go swimming in.

I've swam here many times. Never had any problems but it sounds like the undertow may be getting worse because of erosion.

I get the feeling this is just one of those "problem areas" The Park gets tired of dealing with and closing it is the easiest solution. The falls have always had a problem with litter, injuries, crowds, graffiti, yada, yada....

But if they close the falls I'll miss them. it was a great place to refresh after a hot day of canyoneering and swimming through putrid slot canyons.

I jumped off here last month and I can say the undertoe stuff is definitely powerful. and the river was crazy high at that point too. it was a real effort to get out of it when i jumped in. Somewhat concerning but if you're a good swimmer you should be fine. I remember the week after I saw on the news that someone almost drowned in there. Regardless, that place is really neat and fun to jump off of. Hopefully it can open up again...and still be safe.
    "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Gandhi