Thread: Wind Rivers Backpack

Wind Rivers Backpack

I'm making my first trip to the Winds in mid August, heading into the Big Sandy basin. I usually go to the Uintas but am branching out. Has anybody been to Big Sandy Lake? Where's the best place to camp and fish in the basin? Big Sandy Lake #2, right below Big Sandy Lake looks promising for getting away from the crowds. Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've never fished that small lake below Big Sandy Lake. Might be really good as I didn't even know it was there! I'd hit it and the river below! I've always wanted to fish the river but we never made it down to that area except when hiking in or out. We usually hit Clear Lake and Deep Lake. Big Sandy Lake I've hardly fished and never catch anything the little bit I did fish it. Rapid lake has a zillion little brookes in it. It'd be a great lake for learning to fly fish.... You can make a really nice loop by going up Clear Lake to Deep Lake, dropping over to Temple Lake and down to Miller and Rapid Lake!

Blue lake above Big Sandy is great and then there is hidden lake above that. Good fishing and no crowds.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

There is room to camp at the pond below Big Sandy. Be prepared for bears in this area. There are bear boxes at Big Sandy. Most of the camping (and one of the bear boxes) is at the SW corner of the lake. Day hike to the Cirque. Beautiful hike and great scenery even if you don't descend from Jack Ass Pass to Lonesome Lake. We didn't go up to Clear Lake (I hope to in the future) but up over the pass to the Cirque, bear Lake, the southfork Lakes, Grave, Hailey Pass and back out. It was one of my favorite backpacks. I hear the fishing in the stream below Black Joe is pretty good for small cutts.

Quote Originally Posted by kvolk View Post
    Day hike to the Cirque. Beautiful hike and great scenery even if you don't descend from Jack Ass Pass to Lonesome Lake.
    I must be one of the few who was very disappointed in the Cirque. I think there are much more pretty areas around Big Sandy than the Cirque... Of course, I was expecting it to be absolutely spectacular after hearing so much hype about it.... When that happens it's usually a let down for me.

I must admit being just a little disappointed as well but it's still a beautiful spot. If someone is already at Big Sandy they really should make the hike if they have the time. It's got some great scenery along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by kvolk View Post
    I must admit being just a little disappointed as well but it's still a beautiful spot. If someone is already at Big Sandy they really should make the hike if they have the time. It's got some great scenery along the way.
    I agree, if you already at Big Sandy and have the time, I'd go up to at least Jackass Pass. The first year I went into Big Sandy we didn't hike up to the pass to see the Cirque so I had to go in another time and do the things I missed the first time, the Cirque being one of those things.

FYI - My buddy just got back (Sunday) and says there's still lots of snow up high, but it didn't affect his trip.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn

mosquitoes around Big Sandy

Great info! I'm also planning a trip out Big Sandy Lake and the surrounding area for mid-August. Anyone have news about mosquito conditions? I fear the worst...