Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is long lake a viable 3 day (2 night) trip?

is long lake a viable 3 day (2 night) trip?

Hey ya'll. I'm doing it...headed out to the uinta's this weekend. but i can't decide exactly where to go. I really like the sound and looks of the long lake loop on climb-utah, but i'm worried it will be too busy and not long enough . As of now I think I'm going to hike to our spot (camp at duck lake. side note: is there any viable camping at fire lake?), camp there both nights and explore/day hike the middle day then head back home the 3rd. So I feel like I could put in 6-10 miles before bunkering down for our camp.

thoughts?
    "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Gandhi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

oh - and is there any good books or guides on multiday backpacking in the uintas? most of the stuff I've seen is just for hiking and overnighters.

depends on what your tolerance is for sitting around... pretty short trip mileage wise, unless you bag some peaks or other stuff while you are out there. fishing? or maybe go up through cliff lake and then wrap around mt. watson cross country?

When i was up that way the end of last week, I ran into some guys on horseback that were heading back from long lake. They said that there's still a lot of snow around the lake. From what I can tell you from my trip, we had a hard time finding a semi dry place to set up a tent around cliff lake. All the flat spots are flooded and/or snow covered. So i would say if you do go that way make sure you're prepared for it to be very wet.

I agree with Dan. If you've got a lot of stuff to keep you busy it would be fine. Otherwise it's really short for a 3 day trip and honestly, that area is not that spectacular, IMO. I bet we could come up with a bunch of good suggestions. Whats your criteria? Solitude? Fishing? Peak bagging?

yeah, that was my worry...not enough to do on a shorter hike. solitude and pictures are my goal as well as a couple things to explore on day 2. and nothing too crazy but i do want a challenge. there will be 3 of us - maybe 4. all of us are in good shape and active but not the most experienced backpackers. I'll definitely check out that book

I was looking at an old book i have of the uinta's and ouray lake. it would be like 11 miles in and sounds pretty decent.

Middle Basin from the Christmas Meadows trailhead would be a great trip for you. Dramatic scenery for photography, decent mileage, moderate usage. You'll run into people but not nearly as many as you will over by Crystal Lake. It's about 20 miles round trip with some nice day hiking around to the different lakes in the basin or even up to the surrounding ridge/peaks. The hike in is nice, very gradual climb until right before entering the basin. It gets super steep for a bit and then meanders through meadows on the way back to Ryder Lake. I did it in 2007, here's my TR: http://backcountrypost.com/?p=237

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=40.726576,-110.824548&z=14&t=t2

Quote Originally Posted by gloo View Post
    I was looking at an old book i have of the uinta's and ouray lake. it would be like 11 miles in and sounds pretty decent.
    Ouray in Rock Creek? That's going to be more than 11 miles, probably more like 13+ one way. It's a very wooded area and the lake is kind of shallow. Could be good fishing and solitude but not great scenery. I tried to camp there on a solo hike once but kept going because of some unfriendly cowboys that had taken up a huge camp on the north end. If you're going to hit Rock Creek, go for the high lakes. Lightning, Marjorie, Gladys, etc. But personally I would save that and hit them on a through hike with a car shuttle. Highline to West Fork Black's Fork, one of my favorites. http://backcountrypost.com/?p=276

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Middle Basin from the Christmas Meadows trailhead would be a great trip for you. Dramatic scenery for photography, decent mileage, moderate usage. You'll run into people but not nearly as many as you will over by Crystal Lake. It's about 20 miles round trip with some nice day hiking around to the different lakes in the basin or even up to the surrounding ridge/peaks. The hike in is nice, very gradual climb until right before entering the basin. It gets super steep for a bit and then meanders through meadows on the way back to Ryder Lake.
    the bridge over ostler creek is blown out right now though, so you'd have to be prepared for a big stream (river right now) crossing...

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    the bridge over ostler creek is blown out right now though, so you'd have to be prepared for a big stream (river right now) crossing...
    I refuse to believe that this bridge didn't stand up to the spring runoff!

nick ryder lakelooks perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    Hmm - doable - for people and a dog -though right?

I got some feedback on one of my TR's the other day from a guy who hiked up to Middle Basin on June 29th. Yes, JUNE 29th! He said that the river crossing was "raging out of control" but that they were able to cross it. You can read exactly what he wrote in the FB comments at the bottom of this page: http://backcountrypost.com/?p=844

Personally, I would think it could be done. Just don't think you're going to keep your boots dry. I'm a fan of crocs for river crossings and wearing around camp.

naturalist basin should be coming into good condition too, but it might get crowded. i'm tempted to check it out this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    I got some feedback on one of my TR's the other day from a guy who hiked up to Middle Basin on June 29th. Yes, JUNE 29th! He said that the river crossing was "raging out of control" but that they were able to cross it. You can read exactly what he wrote in the FB comments at the bottom of this page: http://backcountrypost.com/?p=844

Personally, I would think it could be done. Just don't think you're going to keep your boots dry. I'm a fan of crocs for river crossings and wearing around camp.
    i saw it a few days ago... it is definitely raging. definitely doable if you can find a mellow spot to cross, but it will be deep. hard part is finding a spot where it's not too swift. a dog would be hard, have to carry it across probably. should be going down everyday too...

So this might seem kind of mean but if I'm bringing my dogs through a questionable river crossing I tighten up their collar a notch or two, put a leash on and just go for it. I usually try to kind of push/throw them through the really deep spots. If they get picked up, I pull them through it. I figure it would be better to choke my dog for a few seconds than have them get swept away. I can't even imagine trying to carry them.

No worries on getting the boots wet...i'll likely be wearing mys teva zilches the entire time haha. I have a good harness for my dog so I'll just stick her leash on that and go. Knowing my dog though, i should be more worried about myself than her haha If others have been succesful at crossing it we should be fine as long as we aren't stupid, lol.

We will be out in that basin this weekend at Duck Lake. All reports from our friend Adam and brookiekiller are saying that the snow is mostly gone, and that the fish were spawning- and no skeeters- bonus! I could spend just about three days fishing anywhere as long as the fishing was good, and the weather cooperates. And I like Duck Lake, it is pretty cool, with a lot of options for day trips out of camp. Fishing was good there last year. Took this pano at dawn last time I was out there:

Name:  46324_444673114455_&.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  25.9 KB

And here is a sample of what we had for dinner out there (photo:ibenick)

Name:  66559_446325569455_&.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  129.1 KB