Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is long lake a viable 3 day (2 night) trip?

Quote Originally Posted by gloo View Post
    No worries on getting the boots wet...i'll likely be wearing mys teva zilches the entire time haha. I have a good harness for my dog so I'll just stick her leash on that and go. Knowing my dog though, i should be more worried about myself than her haha If others have been succesful at crossing it we should be fine as long as we aren't stupid, lol.
    Damn! I can't believe you backpack in those things! I bet they're nice and light on the feet though.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Damn! I can't believe you backpack in those things! I bet they're nice and light on the feet though.
    LOL, super light its amazing. My feet can't handle regular backpacking boots... they cause me way too much pain.
    "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Gandhi

2 more questions: my ole book says the better camping area are near the two unnamed lakes near Ryders lake? do you guys agree? and if I wanted to bag a peak (or just get up high for awesome views) - what one/route should I look at doing? looks like hayden pea and mount agassiz are the nearest peaks.
    "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Gandhi

mcpheters has less wooded area around it, so ryder is typically preferred if you want some shelter.

hayden is a tougher climb than agassiz, but i haven't done either so i'm just sharing second-hand info. spread-eagle is pretty easy as well. i might try and sneak out into that area this weekend though, perhaps i'll cross your path.

Yep, the sheltered spots are pretty much all to the east and some to the south of Ryder. When we did it we found a sweet spot right on the SE corner of the unnamed lake directly south of Ryder. I highly recommend that spot if its available. Great views of Hayden over the lake and Ryder is just a few hundred feet away. I wouldn't normally try to camp at McPheters although I did see a few sights up that way when I day hiked it. The weather pattern is supposed to get really dry starting today so if there was ever a good time to camp up there, this weekend would be it. Not saying you won't get stormed on, just saying the chances are lower. Personally, I would probably camp at McPheters this weekend if I were heading that way. It's a very cool lake that I would have liked to spend more time at.

The peak info is all readily available on Summitpost. If you just want a really easy way to get up onto the ridge for some good photos, hike to the very top of the basin and you'll get to a low saddle that you can hike right up into. Some people use it to get into the basin from the Highline trail but from what I hear it's not recommended with big packs.

This is the saddle as seen from the top of the basin: