Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Completion of Biner Block Rigging

Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    Dr.; Spinesnaper:
    OFF TOPIC
    I hope he is a real Dr. and went to medical school which included a residency. That title should be earned.
    Last edited by Pelon1; 07-22-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: clarified
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

OFF TOPIC
    I hope he is a real Dr. and went to medical school which included a residency. That title should be earned.
    Medical school, internship, residency, and five years of fellowship. But here I don't think the medical degree counts for much (ok, a little something: I can bring the drugs ). Here I am spinesnaper or Ken.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelon1 View Post
    OFF TOPIC
    ... cause those other PHD's, they just give those things away.

Tom

PHD...does that stand for poor, hungry, and dumb?

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    PHD...does that stand for poor, hungry, and dumb?
    I thought it was Piled High and Deep

Clarification; Relating to rigging biner blocks and other styles of anchors: One comment contextually offered. "It's an irony that areas like Arches and Zion have such rampant bolts."

Ratagonia; Emporer of Canyoneering; Tom Jones; "T" replied: "It escapes me - what is the irony here" T

The Emporer most often publicly espouses "natural anchors" in a host of areas. North Wash, Robbers Roost, San Raphael, Escalante, Glen Canyon. He has placed and pulled anchors though in most of these areas. He's also pulled and placed bolts in many regions of Zion. Within approx the past year he pulled bolts in Mindbender and then put a bolt in "K-9" in N Wash, (which was then pulled by "agent Zen".

A contradition between an act or expression; propogating the caricature of an observant canyoneer and yet doning the mask of a bolt placer or bolt puller; a fetish, impulse or infatuation fed by an "illusion", or a twisted sense of reality?

The emporer dons the public mask - natural anchors. But then the next week or month he places bolts, or via his own private inclination, pulls them and rigs not natural, but "unnatural anchors". The new sandtrap - maybe that should be left at rap stations in Zion? Or long ladders in potholes? Zion bolted up, but other zones bolt free (kind of)?

Once upon a time Imlay was mostly bolt free - I/others experienced it that way. The last rap had long slings. Birch Hollow was once bolt free and then the Emporer called the bolter, in printed word, an A-hole. But then times change and ZAC (& other guides) now lead paid guests down Birch Hollow; the canyon is bolted (liability and BLM access). South Oak, industrial bolts, ZAC guides...on and on...bolts here, bolts there, some pulled, some left. Once upon a time, outside of isolated climbing pitons and bolts, Arches was mostly fix anchor free. But then the psuedo canyoneering took hold - guided - and the bolts took off. Why not remove the bolts and declare the zone natural anchor terrain? It's a paradox really, all these endless contradictions...or maybe it still "escapes" the emporer? Or maybe no contradictions, just a sign of summer?

"3,198 Bogley posts" and counting (and endless posts on the yahoo canyons group)...and running a business, and guiding for ZAC...some social scientists are now using the term "internet addiction". It "escapes me" how folk find or make the time. A psychological prism or prison I guess...or apocalypse...get it "all in" before it ends. And/or a sign of the times, an agrarian, hunter gatherer society morphs, slides past industrial, and then slip streams into the constant supernatural "peddling" on the public domain. (I'm partially smitten, but then hope limits/moderation can be a guide)

And the Emporer's subtext reference to "Jesus"; while he touts himself an agnostic? Any contradiction there? "It's beautiful weather", ......as it was pummeling rain and thunder last nite. The paradoxical (irony) hand (mask) that's "played" in (life) "show business"?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    The Emporer most often publicly espouses "natural anchors" in a host of areas. North Wash, Robbers Roost, San Raphael, Escalante, Glen Canyon. He has placed and pulled anchors though in most of these areas. He's also pulled and placed bolts in many regions of Zion. Within approx the past year he pulled bolts in Mindbender and then put a bolt in "K-9" in N Wash, (which was then pulled by "agent Zen".
    Not I, at least in Mindbender. Some other emperor, perhaps. Or your time scale is off.

When I place or pull bolts, I declare them here on Bogley and on the Canyons Forum. I have not been to Mindbender in quite some time.

Yes, I placed a bolt last fall in Constrichnine (aka Project X) in the Poison Springs area, and then expressed regret at doing so, and suggested I would go back and remove both it and the dicey pin it replaced. I do not know of a canyon called K-9 in the North Wash area, must have been someone else.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    Agree. Other than isolating two independent strands why are some of you dropping the pull cord?
    You ever hear the anecdote about the three generations of women who always cut the ends off their pot roast? The daughter's husband asked why she did it, and she replied that it was because her mother did it. So the daughter asked the mother, and she said because that's what her mother had always done. So the mother asked the grandmother, who said that she did it because they had a small oven and it wouldn't fit otherwise.

The point is, some people drop the pull cord first because they learned from someone who did it first. It originally started with someone who had to go down first for some reason and didn't trust the last guy to remember to throw it down (or something like that, I'm just throwing out ideas here).

Either way, I am for sure not throwing down the pull chord without tying it like that first from now on.

That was a lot of turd throwing Reflection at Tom who in most cases people think did more for Zion canyoneering than what QVC did for the Snuggie.

I am just freakin glad i get the rare chance to go experience these amazing places weather they are bolted or not bolted or you need permits for them or not. Who cares about placing bolts and removing bolts or whatever. Yeah sure it is best to leave the canyon how you found it but if i need to place a bolt to get my but down canyon without killing myself you bet i am going to do it. If i was in Toms shoes you bet i would guide people and make some money, in this economy work is work, it doesn't matter where it comes from.

Plus times change and opinions change and technology changes. You can't bring up the past about what happened or what was said because its no relevant now. Anyways thats all i got just be happy that you don't live in a communist country where you would probably get shot if you were caught having fun in slot canyons.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

That was a lot of turd throwing Reflection at Tom who in most cases people think did more for Zion canyoneering than what QVC did for the Snuggie.
    Personally I think Reflection stepped over the line with his last post from being mildly insightful but mostly bombastic to being just plain creepy. Hey if Tom pulls a bolt, I am sure it is not needed. If Tom places a bolt, I am sure as hell going to use it. I could careless what religious beliefs he may or may not hold. I do very much hold him in great esteem due to his decision to drop Kelsey's books from his website: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...lsey/index.htm

Ken

Excuse me Dr./others; too many conflicts in canyoneering circles these past many years; didn't intentionally mean to upset anyone. Professionally and personally I work to get along with others - that's important to me. Discussion of religion, Kelsey, bolting, pulling bolts, accidents and icons of canyoneering...all mostly out of bounds I suppose. And the past, mostly irrelevant I guess too. We all bring different eyes and experience to this process, hopefully folk know that. My experience & views don't and can't match others. And "that days" tilted style, borrowed I suppose from "that day's private political debate" that shouldn't have made it's way onto these pages. Excuse me again. But so many apparant contradictions...I suppose I/one should just let it go. Best to you all - in the canyons. (K-9, (Project X) verbal abbreviation for Constryc....nine). Maybe a new movie, post 127 Hours....Placing and Pulling Bolts, a New Blue Pool..and new "drama"...I guess, or maybe not? And a side bar in the flick - Who's guide books to buy or not buy and who's canyoneering product to seek out or avoid. Safe, civil discussion should be the rule - most of the time - for most, I believe. I stretched the civil cord, excuse me; but please know, others have stretched it mightily too. But that's no excuse, at least in my case.

Excuse me Dr./others; too many conflicts in canyoneering circles these past many years; didn't intentionally mean to upset anyone. Professionally and personally I work to get along with others - that's important to me. Discussion of religion, Kelsey, bolting, pulling bolts, accidents and icons of canyoneering...all mostly out of bounds I suppose. And the past, mostly irrelevant I guess too. We all bring different eyes and experience to this process, hopefully folk know that. My experience & views don't and can't match others. And "that days" tilted style, borrowed I suppose from "that day's private political debate" that shouldn't have made it's way onto these pages. Excuse me again. But so many apparant contradictions...I suppose I/one should just let it go. Best to you all - in the canyons. (K-9, (Project X) verbal abbreviation for Constryc....nine). Maybe a new movie, post 127 Hours....Placing and Pulling Bolts, a New Blue Pool..and new "drama"...I guess, or maybe not? And a side bar in the flick - Who's guide books to buy or not buy and who's canyoneering product to seek out or avoid. Safe, civil discussion should be the rule - most of the time - for most, I believe. I stretched the civil cord, excuse me; but please know, others have stretched it mightily too. But that's no excuse, at least in my case.
    huh?