Thread: Imlay\Narrows Conditions?

Imlay\Narrows Conditions?

Anyone been through the last couple of days? Lots of pothole escapes or mostly beached whales out? And the Narrows? Worth bringing my inflatable raft through Imlay to try floating?
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    Anyone been through the last couple of days? Lots of pothole escapes or mostly beached whales out? And the Narrows? Worth bringing my inflatable raft through Imlay to try floating?
    Couple weeks ago, July 1, when the water was higher, the water was not high enough to float out much, and a pool toy would not have helped. So, I would say ixnay on the pool toy.

Pools toys in The Narrows are also not allowed by the NPS. Too much fun, or something like that...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    No need for floaties. Just keep your wetsuit on, buckle up your waist belt on your pack, blow into your camelpack and kick your feet back and float feet first down the narrows. Anywhere a boat would be useful, you can float. Plus, tourist tend to look at you in awe while doing this. After the deep spot past Mystery, stand up and just blow through the water to the exit. Try not to slip as this will ruin the coolness. Please don't any one tell me I look like a dork as my current perception is that I look cool exiting the Narrows in full canyoneering equipment and glory. Oh wait, got to lose the gut....dang wetsuits.
    Life is Good

Imlay Blown Anchors Replaced?

From Tom's July 1 TR and subsequant postings it was noted that some anchors towards the end were blown out. Have they been replaced? Headed in there next weekend (weather permitting, 7/31 & 8/1) for a two day with a Sneak approach so I will have plenty of time to REPLACE a damaged bolt here or there.

The rap where the webbing had ripped through the hangers is anchored off a log. It's bomber for now but I imagine that another flood could take the log out. It looked (to my admittedly very untrained eye) like the bolts were still good but the hangers needed to be replaced. Someone with more experience should probably make that call though.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

And they are 3/8" bolts? I'll have the hangers w me......

Quote Originally Posted by tdoughty View Post
    And they are 3/8" bolts? I'll have the hangers w me......
    1/2" Bolts.

I'd like one of the hangers back for my collection, if you don't mind.

Take it out, replace hanger, put it back in. Be sure to torque up to spec. If it does not torque up, it is no good - pull the bolt and hanger out and take them home. Might be able to get the parts out and put in a fresh bolt (which would probably be best, but...) A small chisel, needle nose pliers, luck...

Tom

Thanks Tom.
    A job worth doing is worth doing well.
    Got to be clean and strong...

With the tools described it sounds like a "Five Piece Rawl" type expansion bolt?
    Depth?

Quote Originally Posted by tdoughty View Post
    Thanks Tom.
    A job worth doing is worth doing well.
    Got to be clean and strong...

With the tools described it sounds like a "Five Piece Rawl" type expansion bolt?
    Depth?
    3-3/4" five piece "Rawl" (Powers bought rawl about 10 years ago, so actually "Powers" Powerbolt).

Tom