Thread: Plan B to Kings Peak

Plan B to Kings Peak

I have been preparing my troop to climb Kings Peak at the end of July. From what I understand the bridges up Henry's Fork have been washed out and I'm not interested in having the kids ford the rivers.

Any suggestions for a fun a 3 day trip into the Uinta's that will still be interesting and include a peak bagging experience for 11-16 year old boys and their parents?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There are a bunch of cool peaks in the eastern part of the range. Hayden, Kletting, A-1, Agassiz, Spread Eagle, Ostler, Lamotte, Yard, South Yard, etc. Of those I've only done Agassiz (camped below the Morat Lakes) and Lamotte (camped near Norice Lake). Both were fun. That general area offers a lot of options.

Some pics of Agassiz:

Name:  Agassiz1..jpg
Views: 567
Size:  376.5 KB

Name:  Agassiz2..jpg
Views: 553
Size:  358.7 KB

Name:  Agassiz3..jpg
Views: 521
Size:  293.5 KB

Some pics of Lamotte:

Name:  Lamotte Route..jpg
Views: 537
Size:  221.0 KB

Name:  Lamotte Peak..jpg
Views: 571
Size:  227.1 KB

It looks like you can still get to Kings, if you're willing to do some cross country stuff. Cole posted this at "High Uinta Lovers" Facebook page. Just scroll down to find it. He may have a thread here too that I haven't seen. Anyway, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/43779564557?ref=ts

It looks like the jist of it is to head right at Elkhorn Crossing, around the west side of the valley, past Bear Lake, then continue cross country to the right of all the other lakes up there, staying close to the base of the slopes to the south, curving east, and heading up through Gunsight Pass.

Camp at Henry's Fork Lake instead of dollar and use the basin trail - there will be creek crossings, but nothing too serious or big. When I was a youngster the bridge was wiped out and that is what we did. You could also go up to the Red Castle area and go over Smiths Fork and attack Kings that way.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

I have trip report from last weekend of a group that took the route to Henry's Fork Lake. They had a miserable time as the trail for about two miles was swampy with heavy stream crossings.

My trip with the scouts is next Thursday and I'm looking for a new venue entirely. Is there anything fun in central Utah that would make for a nice 3 day trip? We are not looking to fish, although hitting a lake would be nice. I am looking for an adventureous day hike on the second day.

Naomi Peak/White Pine Lake in Logan Canyon? Deseret Peak area? Is there enough to do for a three day trip in any of these areas?

Bridge is fixed. Basin is drying out just fine. Lots of people up Kings yesterday. You'll be fighting the bugs for space.

I think we made a decision to ditch bagging the peak go fight the bugs in the Granddaddy's for a fishing trip. Hopefully the ground isn't quite as wet there. BTW, has anyone seen this satelite image of the Uinta's that was taken July 15? Pretty cool. I wish they would update this weekly!

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOT...src=eorss-iotd

Granddaddy access

Normally, you would access Granddaddy basin via Hades Pass. I believe the road is still closed, last I heard until 8/2. It is accessible via Highline Trail, but a longer hike.

Took our group on the Notch Mountain Trail last week as our Plan C this year. Easy to get to (Mirror Lake Highway), very fun, not as strenuous as Kings, not a whole lot of mileage, but you hike enough to know you did something. Great views, pretty lakes with fish. For a 3 day hike, start at Bald Mountain TH and end at Crystal Lake TH. Going through "The Notch" was real cool.

First day, hike down 5-6 miles or so to Meadow or Ibantik lake. 2nd day, hike up hill 3-4 miles through "The Notch" to Twin Lakes/Divide Lakes area. 3rd day hike down 3-4 miles to Crystal Lake TH via Wall Lake.

You'll have to do a short 10-15 minute car shuttle, which is really no biggie. Stop in Kamas at Dick's Uinta Drive-in for awesome burgers on the way home. :)

See my report in the Uinta Access thread.

I talked to the Duchesne Ranger Station and the road to Grandview is in fact closed. So unless anyone is interested in a 10 mile haul into the Granddaddies, I'd wait until the road opens back up in August.

We are thinking about Brown Duck Basin. It's a bit more mileage in and more climbing, compared to the Grandview trailhead into the Granddaddies but the ranger says it's dried out well comparatively speaking to the rest of the Uintas. I figure we originally were going to hike 8 into Dollar Lake anyway.

I am headed up to White Pine Lake in Logan canyon this weekend with our scout group. There are a few nice peaks in the area to bag. Gog, Magog and Naomi. The hike in is only 3.8 miles to White Pine Lake. You could also cross the range to the West and visit High Creek Lake.