Thread: Newbie from TN

Newbie from TN

I live in TN. Last September, I got married. Our honeymoon included Meteor Crater National Monument, the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Arches, & Petrified Forest. I think AZ & UT are amazing. I feel stifled by TN's lack of grand landscape. I am curious to know what it is like to live in AZ/UT. Do you find yourself going to the parks all the time, or do you get burned out on them? Very curious...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't think this community gets burned out. Nah...too much to see.

Welcome to Bogley!

Blog Entries
    First of all, congratulations on saying Zion correctly and not Zionsssss. We are grammar nazi's about that...lol.

Burned out? Definitely not in Northern Utah. There are plenty of local hikes, and mountain bikes trails literally within 5-10mins from our houses. Plus, there is a dozen or so good-size waterfalls to hike to and/or rappel from. Canyoneering is a popular sport among us Bogley members here. And Utah contains hundreds of slot canyons to explore and descend. And if you're not canyoneering or hiking, there are plenty of lakes and rivers to go boating and fishing.

And if you are super adventerous you have many ski resorts to choose from within a 30min to an hour drive. And with that, there are even 3 fun places to scuba dive within a hour of salt lake. Plus there are numerous hot springs that dot across the state to take a good soak in.

And lastly, good shopping and dining (SLC and Park City) is within a 30min-1hr drive from most any northern Utah city.

So...that's probably a good plug for Utah eh? Haha.

A few of my friends complain that there is nothing to do here in Utah (transplants for Cali), but all you have to have is a good source for information (us @ Bogley) and a desire to do those things...hehe.

Anyways, enough of Utah. Where in Tennessee do you live? I lived in the outskirts of Nashville for about 3months and had a good time.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'm also from Tennessee, but have been living in Utah for about 6 years. Lately my wife (who is also from Tennessee) and I have been thinking about moving back home...that's where all of our close friends and family are, after all. But every time we go visit home, we come back and say, "But Utah is really nice."

The best way I have to characterize the difference is like this: Utah is a better place to live on the weekends, and east Tennessee is a better place to live during the week. The reason I say that is that back home you can be out relaxing in the country by the lake or near the pastures right after work. But here, everything is so crammed together, that you really have to work to get away from the city and the people. But, man, when you do work for it (on the weekends), it's incredible...and far beats anything you work for on the weekends back home.

I've tried to convince all of my friends that they need to live in the Rockies for at least a couple of years!

Keith

I think this logic only applies if you live near SLC....there's a lot of other places in Utah (or surrounding states) where that is not the case :)

Quote Originally Posted by keithd
    The best way I have to characterize the difference is like this: Utah is a better place to live on the weekends, and east Tennessee is a better place to live during the week. The reason I say that is that back home you can be out relaxing in the country by the lake or near the pastures right after work. But here, everything is so crammed together, that you really have to work to get away from the city and the people. But, man, when you do work for it (on the weekends), it's incredible...and far beats anything you work for on the weekends back home.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Welcome! I lived in TN for 5 years, middle TN. Born here in Utah and been back now for almost 8 years. Two completely different places! My solution just get rid of all the states in between and smash the two together. Perfect!

I loved it out there, the meat and three's, fire flies, southern hospitality, green rolling hills! But I dearly missed my mountains and family and not very fond of the humidity or tornado season. I can also say that I have lived in Northern Utah and now Southern Utah. Either end of the state offers amazing outdoor adventures. But I do agree a bit with keithd. I loved how rural Columbia, TN felt however there are plenty of rural places in UT. Living in SLC proper would never be on my list. I would compare Columbia, TN to Logan, UT. I grew up in Ogden, UT and would compare that to Franklin, TN.

I for one will never get tired of visiting the NP's or camping, hiking or anything outdoors or the diverse terrain of Utah. Funny thing, I did very little of any of those activities in TN kind of regret it.

Next week will see me just south of you. Be in Hotlanta for a bit. Arranging to rent some mountain bikes and try some southern style trails , catch me a Braves game, and some scrumptious southern cooking!
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ View Post
    I think this logic only applies if you live near SLC....there's a lot of other places in Utah (or surrounding states) where that is not the case :)
    There are a lot of rural areas in and around Utah, but they're not usually very inhabited...which doesn't lend itself well to living there! East Tennessee has a good combination of inhabited areas and rural, wild areas that are less extreme and more conducive to relaxing activities. But Utah and the surrounding areas are certainly much better for playing hard!

I am so excited to see several people with TN experience. It makes me feel validated in my opinions about AZ & UT! I try to tell my friends here how extreme it is out there, and they simply cannot understand where I am coming from because they have never seen it for themselves. They think I am crazy! We would like to move out west eventually. I can't really say that TN is where I want to spend the rest of my life. There are too many other great wonders out there!

We live in Clarksville. We travel to Nashville often for Ultimate Frisbee.