Thread: Capitol Reef Area

Capitol Reef Area

Going to stay with an Uncle in Torrey and looking for suggestions.
    When: Aug 5-8 (what will temperatures be like? According to weather.com average temp is in the 80's, but I found places saying some of the hikes (muley twist) often get into the triple digits)
    What:
    A. Looking for at least one adult hike/weekend warrior non technical canyon (leaning toward Upper Muley Twist, Spring Canyon, Sheets Gulch, or open for suggestions)
    B. Looking for something to keep a two year old who loves water, and hikes as long as there is water! I know about Fremont Falls (any other cool swimming holes?) already but would love to do something in addition to (Sulphur Creek? Typically we start a canyon she finds a place to play, I continue hiking while my wife stays back)
    Past: Past trips we have done hickman bridge, scenic drive, wash hike at the end of the scenic drive, panarama point. Cathedral Valley)

Any ideas I havent included or suggestions on the ones I have ??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was planning on stopping at Fremont Falls yesterday on my way home from Escalante and the parking lot was barricaded closed and there were a ton of signs all over the area saying 'Area Closed'. Not sure why or how long it's closed for?
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ View Post
    I was planning on stopping at Fremont Falls yesterday on my way home from Escalante and the parking lot was barricaded closed and there were a ton of signs all over the area saying 'Area Closed'. Not sure why or how long it's closed for?
    SOB

Here's why the falls were closed:
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52...-june.html.csp
    I'd say it's a good thing too. We were down there over the weekend and a few of our group got sucked underneath- not fun! We talked to a few scouts camping nearby and they'd had a similar experience.

We hit up Headquarters Canyon, Sulphur Creek, Hickman Bridge, & the orchards.

Sulphur Creek could be fun. Did it with my 2 year old & had a blast. Plan on half a day for 5-6 miles. It would be best with another adult if you're bringing the kids. The waterfalls all can be bypassed/downclimbed if you stay right (south).

Take some time in the orchards. You're guaranteed to have something ripe then. And the kids think it's like an easter egg hunt.

There's some nearby fossilized wood & oyster shells that are fun to go look for.

To me, Spring Canyon looks like a fun weekend warrior adult hike.

Pleasant Cr could be a good water hike with kids. I've been thru both Muley's in the coolness of springtime. Lot's of arches in upper Muley. Though I'm not sure I'd like to do either in the heat of August.

two weeks ago it was open and completely overcrowded. Could barely find a spot for my truck.

Sheets gulch gets my top rec. Great hike, great narrows, awesome petrified wood and best of all...almost no traffic. sulfur creek is a great hike too. shorter, easy and really fun, and most of it is through the creek which is really nice to cool ya off.. It is pretty busy though which is my top complaint.

I jumped off fremont falls with my buddy the week before someone almost drown there. Probably a good thing its closed down right now, as it was on the verge - if not already there - of stupid lol. the water was crazy high. But it was fun.
    "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Gandhi

The Park Service has closed the falls permanently to swimming after 3 near drownings this year already, they say they will reopen the parking lot when the weather is too cold for swimming. The closed area extends 100 yards upstream and 125 yards downstream. All three victims were not breathing when pulled out and were lucky enough that trained (non park service) people just happened to be at the falls, all were helicoptered out to SLC where they recovered.

The Park Service also plans to re-route the river to it's pre-1962 course through the oxbow on the other side of the road which will eliminate the falls altogether, they were created when UT24 was built.

p.s. the coliform levels in the river at the falls have been really high too, probably not a great place to swallow water!
    Last edited by killer; 07-21-2011 at 06:52 AM. Reason: added note
    Bob Palin
    Wayne County, Utah
    Blog
    Facebook
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by mattandersao View Post
    Going to stay with an Uncle in Torrey and looking for suggestions.
    When: Aug 5-8 (what will temperatures be like? According to weather.com average temp is in the 80's, but I found places saying some of the hikes (muley twist) often get into the triple digits)
    What:
    A. Looking for at least one adult hike/weekend warrior non technical canyon (leaning toward Upper Muley Twist, Spring Canyon, Sheets Gulch, or open for suggestions)
    B. Looking for something to keep a two year old who loves water, and hikes as long as there is water! I know about Fremont Falls (any other cool swimming holes?) already but would love to do something in addition to (Sulphur Creek? Typically we start a canyon she finds a place to play, I continue hiking while my wife stays back)
    Past: Past trips we have done hickman bridge, scenic drive, wash hike at the end of the scenic drive, panarama point. Cathedral Valley)

Any ideas I havent included or suggestions on the ones I have ??
    There is a huge difference in temperatures between Torrey and the lower areas in the park, 80s is about right up here but down on the Notom Road triple digits could well be found.
    A. all great hikes.
    B. Sulpher Creek would be a great location to play with kids, watch for afternoon storms of course, it's already flashed a couple of times this year.
    I enjoy Cohab Canyon, the seclusion of the canyon of the top and the great views from the rim trail are well worth it if you haven't done them before.
    Bob Palin
    Wayne County, Utah
    Blog
    Facebook
    Flickr