Thread: Bell's Canyon (W/ Video)

Bell's Canyon (W/ Video)

I had a good hike up Bell's Saturday 7/17/2011. I am going to the Wind River's next month and have been getting in some hikes to make sure I am in shape.

The lower res. is as full as I have ever seen. The trout are looking healthy. This is a fun hike and I need to go do it in the fall time.

Let's Roll

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

A lot of people up there?

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    A lot of people up there?
    I was surprised to see how many folks were there. The parking lot was full and I had to ad don an extra 500 yards to the hike from where I parked.
    Let's Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Glockguy View Post
    I was surprised to see how many folks were there. The parking lot was full and I had to ad don an extra 500 yards to the hike from where I parked.
    Nice video!

Pretty much when summer hits, weekdays or Sunday evenings are the best time for low traffic up there. I am guessing from the video you just went up to the falls. Probably was refreshing to have that mist after how hot it was this weekend up there. We were up there fishing Sunday evening. Bells Canyon is kind of my backyard so to speak, so I'm up there a lot.

Cool video! The creek and waterfalls are still raging good. I was up there a few weeks ago they were impressive. Where in the Winds are you going? When? I love backpacking there!

Quote Originally Posted by kniephof View Post
    Cool video! The creek and waterfalls are still raging good. I was up there a few weeks ago they were impressive. Where in the Winds are you going? When? I love backpacking there!
    I am going to Titcomb basin with the guys in my family. My dad is having some health issues, so we want to get in as many trips as we can with him.
    Let's Roll

From the looks of the map, Bells Canyon is located in the Salt Lake City, UT area, correct? Nice video of the river and falls. That's some pretty serious flow. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by arnellfam View Post
    From the looks of the map, Bells Canyon is located in the Salt Lake City, UT area, correct? Nice video of the river and falls. That's some pretty serious flow. Thanks!
    The trail head is in Sandy. It is just a few miles south of the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon.
    Let's Roll

I am going to Titcomb basin with the guys in my family. My dad is having some health issues, so we want to get in as many trips as we can with him.
    Cool, I haven't been to the Titcomb basin area yet. Hope your dad hangs in there for plenty more trips. I'm hoping to check out the southeast part of the range in early September.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    We were up there fishing Sunday evening. Bells Canyon is kind of my backyard so to speak, so I'm up there a lot.
    How's the fishing in that reservoir? I'm thinking of taking my grandkids somewhere close and looking for a place they are likely to catch something to take home.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    How's the fishing in that reservoir? I'm thinking of taking my grandkids somewhere close and looking for a place they are likely to catch something to take home.

I usually fish it in September and October when the water levels are low. The fish seem to be more concentrated then. I am a novice fly fisherman and usally can hook a few with bead head nymphs. When I get tired of my crummy casting I switch over to a fly and bubble and do well. I think it may be restricted to artificial and lures only, not completely sure though.
    Let's Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response, just got in from the Uintas today.

This year has been tricky up there. Usually I can go up for two hours and land 10 fish. This year the water is really high, and they seem to be kind of off on feeding times because of the unusual amount of water this late in the summer up there. The cuttys are fun, and give a good fight, but it has been slower this year compared to all the other years I have fished it. Great short hop to get up out of the city, and fun fishing too.

I usually fish it in September and October when the water levels are low. The fish seem to be more concentrated then. I am a novice fly fisherman and usally can hook a few with bead head nymphs. When I get tired of my crummy casting I switch over to a fly and bubble and do well. I think it may be restricted to artificial and lures only, not completely sure though.
    My friend works for the DWR and the regulations up there are as applies to any other water in the state. He said that this population up there are native Bonneville Cutthroats. There is a sign when you get to Lower Bells that reads, "Catch and Release Only." But that was not put up by the DWR, most likely Sandy City, which has no authority when It comes to DWR regulations and enforcement. The only thing the Sandy Police can cite you up there for in the realm of fishing regulations is fishing without a license. Using catch methods that are deemed legal by the Fishing Proclamation put out by the DWR is legal at Lower Bells. I personally use a dry fly bubble combo on my spinner rod, and Rapala minnow lures work really well too. But I have seen people use just about everything to catch them up there. I just prefer the strike on a lure or the jump on a fly, makes the fishing more exciting.

Thanks. All of that is good to know. So, if I keep one fish for my granddaughter, I won't get fined.