Thread: Vorsicht bei dem Abfahrt - Black Hole!

Vorsicht bei dem Abfahrt - Black Hole!

Just a thought provoking reminder/concern. MONSOON season is upon us, be cautious of where and when you venture out. Also PLEASE be conscious of the skill levels you and your group possess at the time you venture into the canyons.

I post this plead on the heels of the SAR team being called to the Black Hole again. Although I am not completely in the loop, they have been called to this canyon no less than 3 times in the last 30 days, two of which have been this week for groups that were, from my sources, not well prepared with experience, equipment, and knowledge of what the canyon will entail.

Although the Black Hole can be a fun romp for those with the abilities, it is still not a playground and needs to have the caution given it, especially at this time in the season. From the SAR report this week, it is currently flowing from the rain that has come through, and I suspect with the rain we have gotten since, it is still flowing. A short rope (50') and full rappelling gear is recommended as well as the ability to create anchors and the ability to down climb. I took a group through about a month ago and all but myself rappelled several drops. Anyway, please be safe and don't take any unnecessary risks.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonbug View Post
    Just a thought provoking reminder/concern. MONSOON season is upon us, be cautious of where and when you venture out. Also PLEASE be conscious of the skill levels you and your group possess at the time you venture into the canyons.

I post this plead on the heels of the SAR team being called to the Black Hole again. Although I am not completely in the loop, they have been called to this canyon no less than 3 times in the last 30 days, two of which have been this week for groups that were, from my sources, not well prepared with experience, equipment, and knowledge of what the canyon will entail.

Although the Black Hole can be a fun romp for those with the abilities, it is still not a playground and needs to have the caution given it, especially at this time in the season. From the SAR report this week, it is currently flowing from the rain that has come through, and I suspect with the rain we have gotten since, it is still flowing. A short rope (50') and full rappelling gear is recommended as well as the ability to create anchors and the ability to down climb. I took a group through about a month ago and all but myself rappelled several drops. Anyway, please be safe and don't take any unnecessary risks.
    Thanks Jared. Lots of T-storm activity over here in Zion, as well. A timely reminder that canyoneering is pretty darn easy, until it isn't.

Tom

I think I will wait until Freeze Fest, sounds dangerous!

(I agree with everything you said. I don't care what canyon I am in, I have my game-face on until we hit the trucks/cars. Ask my family and friends who went through the Subway.)
    Life is Good