Thread: Teton day hike recommendations

Teton day hike recommendations

What's your favorite day hike in the Tetons? I've haven't spent much time but I'll have a few days to explore. But no backpacking this trip.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I just got back from the Tetons Friday. Quite a bit of snow even at moderate elevations. Also many of the streams are still quite high. According to the rangers there are two avalanches across Granite Canyon. I hiked up to the first one but since I was alone didn't try crossing it. Also I hiked into Open Canyon and found the runoff had the stream flowing around the bridge. I guess I'm saying that unless you hike fairly low there is still a lot of snow and water. The Beaver Creek-Taggart-and Bradley Lakes Loop is fine though. Also I hiked into Ski Lake off of Teton Pass. A nice hike although not too long.
    RP
    RP

Would you be opposed to the back side of the Tetons. I LOVE Alaska Basin outside of Driggs! As a bonus there are very few people there.

Thanks for the info. Any idea what elevation you hot the snow?

There were isolated snow patches on the Ski Lake Trail at around 8000-8500. Of course snow depth will vary depending on sun exposure and other factors. An educated guess would be that you would encounter pretty extensive snow above 9,000 feet but that may be different after a week of melting. There was some doubt that passes like Paintbrush Divide would be open even by Labor Day. Even on dry years I've had some snowy crossings high up on Paintbrush. The same is true for Static Peak Divide. Both of these are well above 10,000 feet. I'm not familiar enough with the west side of the Tetons to hazard a guess about conditions there.
    RP

Some really good info here:

http://www.tetonclimbingcany.blogspot.com/

I've always enjoyed the hike up into Hanging Canyon. Boat across Jenny Lake keeps the mileage reasonable. Will be snow up there, but, the trail up to the lake should be ok. An ice axe and the knowledge in how to use it would be prudent for some of the high country stuff right now.

Avalanche Canyon is pretty neat. The hike into the lake(s) above the falls isn't that well travelled. Should be wet with a fair amount of downfall still. Not as well travelled. Skeeters are pretty active too, I'd imagine. Keep an eye peeled for both bears and moose.

Stewart Draw is nice, especially up to the lake.

Also fun is renting a canoe then paddling String Lake, short portage, then paddle Leigh Lake. Access to fairly remote hiking on the west side of that lake.

We'll be in Garnet Canyon this weekend...climbing...

Thanks again for the responses and the link. I would really love to get up into Hanging Canyon to Lake of the Crags and Delta Lake off of the Amphitheater lake trail, but with it just my wife and I and given the current conditions, I'll have to save it for next time. I'm thinking a hike up to the fork in Cascade Canyon might be possible before running into much snow (I know it's the touristy thing to do, but we've never hiked the Tetons). I also plan on doing the Bradley/Taggart Lake loops if we have a few hours needed to kill. We've also dedicated a day to canoeing, so I will see if I can talk her into portaging up to Leigh Lake.
    I appreciate your responses guys!