Thread: 7-year-old prepares to climb Mount Whitney

7-year-old prepares to climb Mount Whitney

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/m...eet-tyler.html
    7-year-old prepares to climb Mount Whitney

By LANDON HALL
    2011-07-15 11:49:51

Kevin Armstrong just assumed his 7-year-old son's mountaineering infatuation was a phase, and he'd soon resume his couch-potato lifestyle.
    Sure, Tyler seemed to catch the climbing bug last December after the two of them watched a documentary called "Walking the Great Divide," about a filmmaker's 3,100-mile hike along the "backbone of America," Tyler started asking his Dad about his own climbing adventures, which included summiting Mount Whitney when he was 11 or 12.
    You're too young, his father said. And it takes months of preparation to be able to reach the top of that 14,505-foot mountain in the Sierra Nevada. Tyler kept pressing, asking who was the youngest to ever do it. He started eating more fruits and vegetables, and started running
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Heck, I did this hike with my Dad and his Explorer Scouts when I was 7 years old. Never got a write up like this kid did! Hahahah! I didn't train like he did, and was dealt a smack down with altitude sickness as I lived in a seaside town. We did this as a week long, 50-miler. Amazing trek, but I've never gone back to do it again. Much luck and success to Tyler!
    "All roads, all codes!"

I did it at 6 years old in winter of 72 and the sickness too but i made it with my own pack under my own power. I have pictures to prove it , that isnt any record