Thread: Birch Hollow 11 July 2011

Birch Hollow 11 July 2011

Four of us headed down Birch Hollow on Monday. The weather was a little foreboding, but it ended up working out just fine for us. It alternated between overcast and sunny the whole time until we were driving away listening to "We Are The Champions," and then it started pouring like crazy. We were a little concerned about the group we saw going down Orderville on our way out, but we haven't heard anything, so I guess they were fine.

Anyway, the canyon was a good time. There was a good garden hose's worth of water flowing down the entire thing, which only added to the fun. All of the anchors there were in solid shape. We had one noob with us and she had a great time. I did Birch Hollow last year and we took the Wild Wind Hollow exit and it really sucked. However, we didn't have an Orderville permit, or, for that matter, a car spot, so we ended up hiking up Orderville, out Orderville Road, and then up the North Fork Road back to our car. It was quite a bit of road walking, but I hold that it was worth it. The WWH exit sucks really bad. That being said, here are some pictures. I apologize for not being a great photographer.

The amount of stuff hanging from my harness means I'm really cool, right?

And...the road walking

--Cliff

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

we went through on the 10th the day before and had a great time. We had orderville permits and went out that way. Orderville has changed a lot since last time I was there

Ill second that WWH exit sucking REALLY bad. Take the time and go around, it's not worth it. "Bushwhacking" doesn't even really cover the suckyness it entails. If you dont have/cant get a permit to go down Orderville, just go up it like the OP described.

We did the "sucks real bad" WWH exit and it cost me an opal necklace in Springdale

I've heard though that there is a much better exit which hugs the rim of Birch as it ascends.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Birch Hollow is on my bucket list. Good info about the exits. Thanks!

Your photos are nice, Cliff! Birch Hollow is a pretty canyon with cool fluted walls.
    We took our daughter through in September, 2008. Completely dry, of course.

Is the large chockstone still in place on the final rap into a chamber near Orderville?

Quote Originally Posted by levity View Post
    Is the large chockstone still in place on the final rap into a chamber near Orderville?
    It was 3 weeks ago, and has been there for some time, so I'd imagine it is.

Looks like it was a lot of fun. Glad to see my harness was put to good use.