Thread: Backpacking The Flat Tops Wilderness (Colorado)

Backpacking The Flat Tops Wilderness (Colorado)

Anyone spent much time backpacking The Flat Tops? Thinking about doing a trip out there next month. Exploring the topo makes me believe it could be very Uinta-esque but the information online isn't all the helpful so far. The one thing I worry about with going into Colorado is that it could be really busy. Any info is much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I really like the Flat Tops. I've never run into crowds out there at all.

What we have run into, though, were mosquitoes and thunder storms. Of course, Colorado is notorious for its summer storms, and the Flat Tops didn't disappoint. But the mosquitoes a few years ago were far worse than I expected.

But the Unitas can be just as bad for mosquitoes, and the Flat Tops are very, very pretty, so I think it's worth the risk. The meadows and interesting geology are well worth the trip.

BTW, here's a trip report of the August trip we did a few years ago: http://www.edarnell.com/Trails/page141.html.

Keith

back when i was 18 (1975) i did a 30 day solo across the flat tops. went from glenwood to yampa and back to glenwood. it was a great trip. just me and my dog. i mailed a resupply to the yampa post office.

the flat tops aren't really busy in the summer. during hunting season it's a different story. my first trip there when i was 16 was elk hunting with my step dad. no foam pads, crappy sleeping bags, leaking tents. its a wonder i ever went camping again after that trip.

lots of lakes with fish in them. los of deer and elk. nice easy trails. sub alpine flowers should be awesome. send me a pm for my map.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I do have a web page below, but maybe you have already seen it (see the attachments on the left side for more pages):

http://www.summitpost.org/flat-tops/182948

Parts of the Flat Tops are extremely popular and crowded (such as all the trails from Ripple Creek Pass, Stillwater Reservoir and Trappers Lake), but several other locations are quieter. Once you leave the trails, the crowds die down. the Expect lots of mosquitoes befor mid-August and maybe later this year.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I have a favorite unnamed lake near Derby peak, we pack to every summer. Filled with "flamer" natives and I mean Brilliant bright red cutthroats. The beautiful thing about lakes with no name, often means no one hardly ever visits them. We may be making a visit about 1st week of August. We've also been known to throw in a few beers and some whiskey in our packs. This helps us stay calm when the lightning strlkes get a little close. We've had some spectacular light shows up there! Anyway, you'd be welcome to join us for a night or 2 if this area is on your list. That weekend hasn't been confirmed yet, but we're leaning hard towards it.