Thread: Freeze dried food recommendations?

Freeze dried food recommendations?

Hey kids!

I'm doing a 10 day backpacking trip in August and am trying to find a good online source to purchase freeze dried veggies. Anyone have any tried and true suggestions?

Also, I may have lost the hiking/canyon buddy I had lined up for a few of the days of the trip. If anyone is in the Denver area and wants to road trip to hike/canyoneer in Utah, hit me up here or facebook. The night of Thursday, August 18th I fly into Denver straight off a 7 day hike around Rainier. I fly back out on Monday, August 22nd at dawn.

Let's go!
    Penelope :)
    (Ann Marie Route on facebook)
    Keep pulling up stakes. Friend me on facebook.

"Since the ultimate goal of transport technology is the annihilation of space, the compression of all Being into one pure point, it follows that six-packs help." Edward Abbey, Monkey Wrench Gang

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I like this one from Backpackers Pantry-Organic Spinach Puttanesca- Comes with olive oil for when it is re-hydrated. Best one I have had yet.

Name:  7bc0e58f-b3b6-41cd&#4.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  40.1 KB

Looks like most of us don't eat that healthy stuff (veggies) on our trips. I thought you would have had more responses. I think you can order directly from Mountain House. But, I'm not sure about their veggie selection and/or quality.

I'm a big fan of good old fashioned Mountain House. Not sure what their veggie options are but I know they have a few. Haven't found a good online source though, I avoid Walmart as much as I can but they typically have the best prices on them. I did the whole cook real food thing for a couple of seasons and I've since decided that it's not worth it. Freeze dried has a bad rap but if you look at whats in a lot of the other options it's not that bad. I backpacked with a guy last year who was giving me shit for the sodium in my mountain house. All the while he was cooking up a package of mashed potatoes and dropping a block of cheese in. It was fun to point out that his meal had waaaay more sodium than my freeze dried crap.

If you can't find a good place to buy freeze dried veggies from you could consider buying a dehydrator and making some yourself. One of the guys I live with has made me some beef jerky with his and it was real good. Dehydrated apples with cinnamon are also quite tasty. If you backpack enough it would probably be worth it, plus you could always make snacks for work, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AChrysler View Post
    If you can't find a good place to buy freeze dried veggies from you could consider buying a dehydrator and making some yourself. One of the guys I live with has made me some beef jerky with his and it was real good. Dehydrated apples with cinnamon are also quite tasty. If you backpack enough it would probably be worth it, plus you could always make snacks for work, etc.
    I got a dehydrator for xmas last year. I have done a few batches of dried fruit and some jerky. It is pretty awesome how much food you can carry with zero weight. I have not done the apples, will have to try that one for the next outing.

Quote Originally Posted by kniephof View Post
    Looks like most of us don't eat that healthy stuff (veggies) on our trips. I thought you would have had more responses. I think you can order directly from Mountain House. But, I'm not sure about their veggie selection and/or quality.
    The amount of calories burned carrying weight to me, makes it worth packing in a few fresh things. I like to pack in a sweet potato wrapped in foil that I can just throw in the coals and eat. We have done corn in the husk, as well as many other veggie options which were not too heavy, and really filling when you eat them. I think the sodium counts are a bit high in some of those dehydrated foods. But they are convenient, and easy to cook up. I tend to pack a mix of freeze dried and fresh foods, keeps you going on the trail. I think we are all different with our dietary needs, if you have a condition that requires you to avoid sodium, the freeze dried foods are not a good idea. There are a lot of options, find which one works best for you.

Let's also not forget that your body actually NEEDS salt (aka electrolytes) when you work out. Consuming the kind of salt like most people do backpacking in everyday life might not be a great idea but when you're pounding out mile after mile on the trail, it's a critical component in your diet. I have a friend who actually suffered heat stroke due to lack of salt on a trip. Thats why themz sports drinks haz them electolytes!

http://honeyvillegrain.com/

I would try these guys. I have not tried their vegetables but I have tried many many many of their products.

They have a factory just outside of where I live (Brigham City, Utah). Currently I have in my home: A variety of their dried fruits, drink mixes, pancake mix, brownie mix, and scone mix. These guys have some of the best products I have ever had. I just started buying from them religiously within the last couple years.

I hope this helps.
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

Quote Originally Posted by AChrysler View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Freeze dried foods retain all their nutrients and rehydrate quick (or can be eaten as is). Unfortunately dehydrated loses a lot of the nutrients, take a lot longer to rehydrate. That said though I did borrow a dehydrator to make some chewy pineapple trail snacks. I used to make turkey jerky when I ate meat, but those days are in the past :)

"Since the ultimate goal of transport technology is the annihilation of space, the compression of all Being into one pure point, it follows that six-packs help." Edward Abbey, Monkey Wrench Gang

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Let's also not forget that your body actually NEEDS salt (aka electrolytes) when you work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    I think we are all different with our dietary needs, if you have a condition that requires you to avoid sodium, the freeze dried foods are not a good idea.
    Hehe, looks like somehow this got off track. I never mentioned having a health/dietary concern with any food, so the sodium thing is not an issue. Within our group we are doing a mix of both dehydrated and freeze dried. The first night may include some fresh foods (totally am going to try the sweet tater suggestion!), but to keep the pack weight down we have to leave some luxuries behind. Us Floridians aren't used to hiking at altitude so we need every advantage possible. Also the lighter my pack the slower I'll tumble off the mountain. Haha!

Thanks guys! Appreciate it!
    xoxo
    Penelope

Quote Originally Posted by dmMatrix View Post
    http://honeyvillegrain.com/

I would try these guys. I have not tried their vegetables but I have tried many many many of their products.
    Thanks so much! This looks good. I may give them a try (a few things in the shopping cart already). Have you tried the freeze dried whole eggs? As a vegetarian, getting protein on the trail is not easy. Wondering if they are any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
    Thanks so much! This looks good. I may give them a try (a few things in the shopping cart already). Have you tried the freeze dried whole eggs? As a vegetarian, getting protein on the trail is not easy. Wondering if they are any good.
    I haven't tried the eggs no, I actually didn't know they had those there. I guess I need to take another look at their products. Those guys are quite popular in Brigham city, Its almost as though you can't go into anyones house without seeing something from them.

Glad you like it
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

Quote Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
    Hehe, looks like somehow this got off track. I never mentioned having a health/dietary concern with any food, so the sodium thing is not an issue.
    That's actually pretty on-topic compared to how off track it often gets around here.

You can get the stuff from walmart pretty cheaply, and the company that makes those meals also make a whole line of things.

Lots of options for dehydrated foods, outdoorbasecamp.com had a good discussion and tons of links about food sources including MRE's tho they are slightly heavier than powdered things.

you can this variety box form REI
    http://www.rei.com/product/756809/ha...ackpacking-kit
    I love to add them to Rice-a-Roni type meals to make my own flavors

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    That's actually pretty on-topic compared to how off track it often gets around here.
    True dat! lolz

Thanks for all the suggestions!