Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix, screw you

Netflix, screw you

So the big announcement from Netflix, they'll be splitting their stream and DVD only plan into two separate plans http://bit.ly/NetflxBlog

It wouldn't be a bad thing if their streaming catalog had a lot more options as I still find most of the movies I watch are DVD and not streaming. They have not made any mention of upping their streaming catalog.

As with any change, people aren't going to be happy. As of this post there are almost 20,000 posts (I haven't found one positive yet) on their Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/netflix/posts/10150234431168870

We'll see how it shakes out. What do you think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I got their email today. Not happy...

That is a BIG increase. It WILL be interesting. I was on the $10 plan and now my exact plan would go up to $16. I might just switch to the unlimited streaming with no DVDs for $8 and get DVDs elsewhere. Redbox movies are 99 cents per DVD. I can get 8 per month with that savings...not possible with Netflix in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I got their email today. Not happy...

That is a BIG increase. It WILL be interesting. I was on the $10 plan and now my exact plan would go up to $16. I might just switch to the unlimited streaming with no DVDs for $8 and get DVDs elsewhere. Redbox movies are 99 cents per DVD. I can get 8 per month with that savings...not possible with Netflix in a month.
    I'm on the same plan and am thinking about doing the same. Unbundling is almost never a good thing for the consumer.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I'm been with Netflix since their founding in 1999. I'm just irritated. My cost will almost double. They've lost quite a bit of their streaming inventory due to competition. By this time next year, HULU and GOOGLE will be eating their lunch. Not sure what we're going to do yet, but Redbox probably will probably replace DVD rentals from Netflix.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Netflix' Facebook page is not currently available. That's funny, sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't stream much so I'm thinking of either dropping the streaming or dropping Netflix altogether. Gotta decide before Sept.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

I dropped Netflix awhile back. It has been already mentioned that their streaming catalog is lacking. I mostly rent from Redbox now. They don't have the TV series DVDs I'd like to rent so I tend to use Hulu or piracy for TV shows.
    Interesting to see the reaction to Netflix though; I've seen half a dozen friends bitching about it this morning on FB.

Screw Netflix. I am going back to the Library, for free.

Quote Originally Posted by gnwatts View Post
    Screw Netflix. I am going back to the Library, for free.
    Lol!!!

I quit using Netflix in 2001 when they simultaneously raised their prices and decreased the number of DVDs you could have out at once. I'd been considering signing up again lately, but nuh-uh, not now...
    Blog | FB

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Time to cancel!!!

Redbox is looking really good

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Just barley signed up still on my free month. But now... thinking of just going back to Hulu and Red Box. Have to hurry and do my Weeds marathon and get caught up on the Botwins before the month ends.

Is there a way to get Hulu to play on the Wii?
    Chere'

Found a list of alernative options in an article.

BlockBuster by Mail (link)

BlockBuster by Mail is a DVD-by-mail service with the added bonus of being able to swap out rented discs at BlockBuster retail locations (up to five per month). It touts "many new releases available 28 days before Netflix and Redbox" as well. Video game rentals are included, too.

Pricing:

- One DVD out at a time: $12 per month

- Two DVDs out at a time: $17 per month

- Three DVDs out at a time: $20 per month

Redbox
    (link)

It's not exactly DVD-by-mail, but Redbox rental kiosks can be found at over 27,000 retail locations across the country. Pricing for DVDs starts at $1 per day, with rentals due back by 9pm the next day. Blu-ray movies start at $1.50 per day and video games start at $2 per day.

Hulu Plus
    (link)

Hulu Plus is a streaming service that costs $8 per month and skews heavily toward TV shows, offering "over 1,000 seasons of current and classic shows." It's got a handful of movies—"hundreds of movies and documentaries"—as well as "hundreds of exclusive films from the Criterion Collection." Despite the subscription fee, however, TV shows feature "limited advertising." The service works with several devices and set-top boxes.

Amazon Prime Instant Video (link)

Amazon shoppers can pay $79 per year for free two-day shipping on many of the products sold by Amazon. As a perk, Prime members also have access to free movies and TV shows through Amazon Instant Video. However, the selection is currently limited to just 6,000 movies and TV shows, most of which aren't exactly big-name titles.

On-Demand Streaming Services

If you want the widest selection of stream-able content and are willing to pay a bit more, several services offer on-demand streaming rentals starting at around $2-$3 apiece for movies and $1 for TV shows.

There's the aforementioned Amazon Instant Video, BlockBuster On Demand, Apple's iTunes service, VUDU, YouTube movie rentals, CinemaNow and several other services—including any on-demand TV shows and movies made available by your cable or satellite provider.

Other Options

If those of you who are thinking of leaving Netflix or who don't use any of the services listed above, let us know if you've found any other good options!

Thanks acca, I'm definitely going to check these out.

I used to rent from redbox all the time, but got to a point where the only thing left was crummy movies. It's been a little while, so time to start looking at them again.

Huh.... I just watch sports and the food network. This won't affect me.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    By this time next year, HULU and GOOGLE will be eating their lunch.

THIS^^^

Netflix's streaming catalog is awesome.....if you like 80's cult classics.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

And now they are DOWN... through some devices including Apple TV.

Lotta pissed off peeps lol: http://facebook.com/netflix

They keep knocking it out of the ballpark!!!

I can't keep up with all of the posts on their website. Kind of funny.

Quote Originally Posted by bigred72 View Post
    Thanks acca, I'm definitely going to check these out.

I used to rent from redbox all the time, but got to a point where the only thing left was crummy movies. It's been a little while, so time to start looking at them again.

Create an account and use the Redbox website (not thier android app though, it SUCKS). Through the website you can search for the movie you want to see and then find the nearest kiosk with that movie in stock. You then reserve the movie through the website so when you go pick it up it's waiting for you.
    There are now 18 Redbox kiosks within 3 miles of my house in American Fork. I can almost always find what I'm looking for. AND they're starting to carry Xbox games now!