Thread: Zion Canyoneering

Zion Canyoneering

I have just returned form an amazing trip to the USA where I spent two weeks canyoneering in Zion National Park, Utah. Tom Jones very kindly hosted me, and when he was unable to come canyoneering, arranged other people for me to go with.

I was collected from St George by Felicia who whisked me off to a BBQ in Springdale that evening with the Bogley group, an Utah based internet canyoneering community. I was made to feel so welcome and my holiday was off to a great start.

My first canyon the next day was Pine Creek with Tom Jones. The first thing I noticed was how much smoother the sandstone was than in the Blue Mountains canyons I used too. It took me a while to trust the traction on my shoes. Although short, this canyon was spectacular. Dark and narrow with some terrific rappels. Then the obligatory boulder field scramble down to a beautiful pool, then quick scramble to the road where Tom hitched a ride (sopping wet) back to the car. A short day, only about 4 hours.

Pine Creek photos http://imageevent.com/jburton/zionna...ecreekjune2011

Tom was unavailable the following day so he introduced me to Shelley and Dave Buckingham from the Zion Adventure Company who invited me to join them doing Das Boot Canyon. They were unable to secure a permit to exit via the Subway, so the plan was to do Russell Gulch after Das Boot and exit by the Wildcat trail.

After bit of tricky navigation ( and Shelley and I becoming separated from Dave for a short time), we suited up spent the next couple of hours swimming, wading and rappelling off logs as we made our way through this beautiful, dark and narrow canyon. We reached the junction which signalled our exit point and clawed our way up steep track to the top, then began making our way over to do Russell Gulch. And so I had my introduction to slickrock. Steep, hot sandstone radiating the heat of the early afternoon that went up and up. I found it easier ascending sideways mountaineering style. Did I say easier? I quickly learned to dislike "up' and "slickrock" in the same sentence, and soon learned it happened often.

Many rest stops later, Shelley and I caught up with Dave who was sitting, panting in the heat. We unanimously decide that we didn't fancy that ascent again so plans for Russell Gulch were shelved and we continued the long hike back to the car. A magnificent day topped off with a well earned beer!

Das Boot photos http://imageevent.com/jburton/zionna...canyonjune2011

My next canyon was Boundary Canyon with Tom Jones, Bruce Silliman, Parker Simper and Nate. As Tom hadn't canyoneered with us before, this was a practice run for heaps in a couple of days.

Tom and I camped at Lava Point the night before and the mozzies were in plague proportions. During the night I heard Tom unceremoniously tossing everything out of his car and sealing himself inside. I slept blissfully untormented wearing an Aussie repellent the US mossies hadn't acquired a taste for.

We were joined by the others early the next morning and were very happy to learn that Parker came with the gate owner's permission to drive down the MIA road right to the canyon saving us several hours hiking.

We carefully negotiated fallen trees and were soon suiting up and being briefed by Tom on how to manage time efficiently using his Roly Poly method of rigging and moving forward. Then we were in the canyon. And it was awesome right from the start! The waterfalls were flowing nicely, Tom says it's the most water he's seen in there. The rappels were exciting and slippery and canyon stunning.

After we all rapped the last pitch and rope was being pulled, it was noticed that a rope was missing, still at the top of the last pitch. So retrieval was halted just in time and Parker volunteered to go back up and get the rope. Teamwork on the ground gave him assistance in making record time back up.

We bashed down the creek and soon reached the junction with Kolob Creek which was a canyon itself at times with beautiful high walls closing in and rising high above us.

A long steep climb up the watershed followed until we reached the MIA trail and Nate and Parker set off to get the cars and bring them to where we waited. And waited. And waited. When they returned it was to enlist us in helping to retrieve Parker's truck from it sat stuck in mud in front of a fallen tree. After pushing, pulling and digging, we set up a 3:1 MA with abseiling ropes and the truck was finally free. Then a careful squeeze under the fallen tree with half inch to spare and we were on our way. Another fantastic day with a great team of people.

Boundary Canyon photos http://imageevent.com/jburton/zionna...canyonjune2011

A day of rest then finally, one of the canyons at the top of my wish list

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    it was nice doing a couple canyons with you.

thanks for the pics

Thanks for sharing the TR, I enjoyed reading it.

Hey Julie, thanks for posting this here! It was nice to meet you, wish we could have had time to do a canyon together! Next time?

And welcome to Bogley!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Great report Julie! Nice to meet you at the BBQ.

Chere'
    Chere'

just now had a chance to see your photos. WOW, you really bring these canyons to life....Thank You!

I'm glad you liked them. I really enjoy taking spontaneous and natural photos that capture the spirit of the trip.

Julie