Thread: How to repair mesh on a tent?

How to repair mesh on a tent?

Anyone know of any good ways to repair a big tear through mesh on a backpacking tent? I've found kits for patching little holes but nothing for a big one. I'm thinking maybe just duct tape at this point but it would be cool if there was a better way.

The tear happened last weekend when one of my pups decided she really wanted to lay down on my thermarest and sleeping bag.

Guilt by ibenick, on Flickr

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Go into Kirkhams.. I got a screen patch kit from their repair department a few years ago to fix something just like that :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Get some mesh netting of similar weight and hand sew it. It will never look the same though. I think there is adhesive mesh out there as well, but not sure where to get that. I've only seen it discussed on other backpacking forums. You could contact the manufacturer to see what a repair cost would be. Or use this as an excuse to just buy a new tent.

Why would you want to close the new doggie door?
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

Bad dog. Baad dooog. So you looking for a new dog too?

I think Kirkhams has the ability to replace the screen.
    Looks like a place called "Tent Man" can do it too.

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker View Post
    Bad dog. Baad dooog. So you looking for a new dog too?
    She is totally banned from backpacking after this! My doberman had to get surgery the day before this trip so I took Patina instead. I was hoping it would be different because every time I take her I come home and tell me wife she is the official full-time house dog. This trip was no different as you can see. Good thing my other pups are good hikers.

Thanks for all the tips! I sent that photo to Kirkhams and asked how much. They said $30 and done in a week so I'm dropping it off tomorrow. I'm all about not having to deal with this kind of crap!

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Thanks for all the tips! I sent that photo to Kirkhams and asked how much. They said $30 and done in a week so I'm dropping it off tomorrow. I'm all about not having to deal with this kind of crap!
    good to know, maybe Ill take my dads old tent in and get it fixed too. Glad to hear it won't cost much.
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

You can sew it with cloth and make it as a canvas to draw something on it.

You could try sending it to the manufacturer. I have sent 2 tents back, one was repaired free (North Face) and at minimal cost from Garuda (Dana Design). The North face had a rip in the mesh, and they replaced the whole panel.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    I sent that photo to Kirkhams and asked how much. They said $30 and done in a week so I'm dropping it off tomorrow. I'm all about not having to deal with this kind of crap!
    That's my attitude....

Why mess with it when you don't have to... and when Kirkhams is finished it will look like new and not a half-ass patch job.

So the tent is fixed now. Thought I'd report back on how it went. In short, Kirkhams, like usual, was a total pain in the ass to work with. Am I the only one who almost always regrets walking into that place? When I went to drop it off the guy working the service counter wouldn't give me any other estimate than $45 per hour with absolutely no estimate of how long it might take. They also seemed very unsure about whether or not it could even be fixed. The $30 estimate I got via email seemed to be a mystery. After talking to several employees it was determined that I could leave it there and the seamstress would look at it and give me an estimate in the morning. 4 days later I got the call, $25 to fix the mesh with two patches and $20 to replace the zipper pulls that I wanted replaced (unrelated to the dog incident). They ended up finishing it about a week earlier than they had estimated. Picking it up became another typical Kirkhams experience () but in the end I'm very happy with the repair. I just hope I don't have to go back anytime soon.

I forgot to take a proper photo of their handy work on my last outing but this one shows it pretty well.

i am anti-kirkhams, and my jack russell is also banned from backpacking...but i'm a pushover so he ends up going.

You can remove mesh from tents by using local fabric, and clear iron-on patches.You can also use repair kits to get rid of mesh.

Get some no see-m mesh about 1/2 inch bigger than the hole.
    Lay out on cutting board in a relaxed position.
    Lay over the new piece.
    Warm up the hot glue gun and get a rolling pin ready with baby powder rubbed on it.
    Lay in a 1/8" bead dead center between width of new and old material with room to spread but only about 10" long at one time. Let sit for about 4 seconds and take the roller too it.
    Redo the baby pwdr and go at it again until done.
    I have an Upholstery machine and still find this works very well for me.

Once cooled you should have about 1/8" material that will need to be trimmed for a smooth finish on both sides.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

I've always had good experiences with Kirkham's when it comes to Springbar Tent repairs. I, too, have had to take in many of my Scout Troop tents for screen repairs, zipper repairs, canvass patches, etc. It's nice to have them repaired by the manufacturer.

@ Mooseman70 Do you take the youngters to the high country with spring bars?

Backpacking style?

Or does the church flip the bill for repairs?

Honestly I have no Idea and I'm an Eagle Scout from way back and I do mean way back.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Our Troop owns 6 of the large Vagabond 7 Springbars, and one smaller 4 person Springbar. We aren't doing any backpacking, obviously, with 60+ lb. tents - all car camping. Yes, our church equipment budget payed for the repairs.