Thread: Big Water/Dog Lake/Little Water Loop- Millcreek Canyon- July 2011

Big Water/Dog Lake/Little Water Loop- Millcreek Canyon- July 2011

This started out to be a very nice hike. Much cooler than the valley. And not too crowded with all the traffic in the canyon. We started on the Big Water Trail, and headed up under sunny skies and perfect temps. The snow is pretty much gone, minus some stubborn patches holding on in the trees below the trail. Muskies dogs were loving it, and It was sure nice to be in the upper part of the range hiking again with no snow. We pushed a sweet pace up to the lake. The dogs were loving the tennis ball we were throwing all the way out there. After about an hour, the clouds started towering and we heard distant thunder and decided it was time to head down. As soon as we hit the Little Water Junction, it just started dumping hail, and we had a few lightning strikes very close. We basically trail ran the whole way to the car, dogging into the trees when the strikes were close and the thunder was loud! Got to the car, soaked, muddy, and pumped from the adrenaline of the storm. Crazy how much moisture is in these monsoon flows we are getting. Good times, because it is always an adventure.
    Last edited by Dr. Nebz; 12-23-2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Leaving

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice pics. Wow no snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    Nice pics. Wow no snow.
    Thanks. Yeah, I kind of was expecting just a little more up there. But alas, it is melted off for the year. You would see the occasional patch hanging out in the trees, but I would say 99% of it is gone. We saw none on the trail. There was a huge wind cornice still clinging to the east side of Reynolds Peak, so careful if you go up there.

Nice. I did that hike once last year. Real nice hike. One of the dogs that were in the lake... decided that the "twig" their owner was throwing, wasn't impressive enough... so, he hauled in an entire log. We're talking about 15 feet long. Haha. It was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by jbdavies View Post
    Nice. I did that hike once last year. Real nice hike. One of the dogs that were in the lake... decided that the "twig" their owner was throwing, wasn't impressive enough... so, he hauled in an entire log. We're talking about 15 feet long. Haha. It was hilarious.
    Nice, we brought a tennis ball and the dogs were loving it. They were worn out before we had to run out because of the storm. They passed out in the truck as soon as we started heading down Millcreek. I usually save this hike for the fall, since the colors are awesome up there. But because of the late snow pack, and the reports that there was no snow, we decided it was a good day to head up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    Nice, we brought a tennis ball and the dogs were loving it. They were worn out before we had to run out because of the storm. They passed out in the truck as soon as we started heading down Millcreek. I usually save this hike for the fall, since the colors are awesome up there. But because of the late snow pack, and the reports that there was no snow, he decided it was a good day to head up there.
    Oooooooh! True. I'm going to have to do this one in the fall also. Good ideer!

Quote Originally Posted by jbdavies View Post
    Oooooooh! True. I'm going to have to do this one in the fall also. Good ideer!

Here is one of the photos from when we were up there last fall. It was awesome!
    Name:  5088076915_0d516aa7.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  157.0 KB

No snow up Butler Fork to the top of Circle-All Peak either. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    No snow up Butler Fork to the top of Circle-All Peak either. Nice!
    ^^^Oh this is good news! Sweet Brian in SLC! Thanks for the info, gonna go hit that area soon too!

Nice pics buddy :) It's unfortunate I missed out on this little trip, next time!