Thread: Cassidy Arch Canyon

Cassidy Arch Canyon

We headed down Cassidy Arch Canyon with a couple noobs today. It went down really well. The weather was a little schizophrenic, but ended up playing into our hands pretty well. It was nice and overcast for the approach and then the sun came out while we were in the canyon, and the thunder started going crazy right as we got to the car and it started raining as we were driving away. The rappels were awesome and we had tons of fun. Unfortunately, none of us remembered to bring our cameras so we ended up with an iPhone and an iPod Touch. But, we did end up with some sweet pictures anyway.

Hanging on top of the arch

Entry Rappel

Second Rappel

--Cliff

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Also, here's how we rigged the tree for the first rappel. It was my first time using that kind of retrievable anchor, and I was really surprised at how well it worked! The daisy chain on the tree was for safety while we were getting onto the rope.

--Cliff

Nice, looks like you had a great time. You need to visit Tom's site for a couple of rope bags.

Rope bags are definitely on the list of things to get. As are shorter ropes!

Did you have good anchor points for all of the raps or did you have to use a cairn or meat anchor?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDuke View Post
    Did you have good anchor points for all of the raps or did you have to use a cairn or meat anchor?
    There was one deadman in the canyon, otherwise it was all off of trees and bolts. In fact, one anchor is off of some really really old bolts that may have been put in there by early settlers. But I can remember four bolted anchors, I think, and one deadman, with the rest off of trees.

Edit: Also, the deadman was pretty solid when we were there. Just back it up and send the lightest person down last.
    Last edited by ilipichicuma; 08-26-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
    --Cliff

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDuke View Post
    Did you have good anchor points for all the raps, like deadmen and meat anchors, or did you have to use those scary/sketchy construction bolt things?????

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Did you have good anchor points for all the raps, like deadmen and meat anchors, or did you have to use those scary/sketchy construction bolt things?????
    Post of the day!!!

Um, so this could be explained by the fact that it's pretty late at night and I'm tired, but I'm confused? Yes we used the bolts? But not the really really old ones, because there were new ones right on top of them? I think that answers the question, but I senses a joke in there somewhere that I'm probably missing because of the time of day. Being up late, while I do it frequently, may not be good for me. I don't like seeing bolts in the canyon anymore than anyone else, but we figured that since they were there we might as well use them, instead of expending our materials to build new anchors. Besides, they're placed to make the rope pulls nice and easy.
    --Cliff

He was making the point that bolts aren't necessarily any better than natural anchors cliff. Desertduke implied that good anchor points were anything but meat or deadman anchors... which isn't true. Explaining the joke always makes it less funny... always
    - Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    Explaining the joke always makes it less funny... always
    Yeah, that's true. Sorry, I'm stupid tonight.
    --Cliff

I don't canyoneer with anyone large enough to fit the bill for the latter of the two.