Thread: Idaho Snow Levels, Depths, etc.

Idaho Snow Levels, Depths, etc.

Greetings yall!

Posting here directly after my Newbie post (not a newbie, NOT).

Curious about this fantastic snow year here up in Washington, & what it might be like in the Sawtooth/Frank Church areas of Idaho.

We (GF and I) are planning a backpack/climb/fish in the area after our Glacier trip in late July and are a bit confused on the snow levels. Sawtooth WebCam shows a pretty good pack, but the Snotel site shows things about normal, or at least almost melted out.

Can anyone give me some speculate on the snow depths up there, coming-in in about 3 weeks? We're totally cool with some snow crossing, but won't be bringing 'pons or axes.

Thanks, & Greetings!!

____Luc

p.s. i posted here because there are more frequenters than the backpacking forum. feel free to redirect.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'll probably be up there soon to check conditions. Speculating I'd say as long as you are not going over the higher passes everything will be totally open, especially when you are coming down.

Hey thanks Qedcook.

A short snow report would be very helpful. Last year we went up from Redfish and over Cramer and there was just a small sliver, and nothing other than that. Be interested in hearing about what you find.

& thanks!

___L

Like many places, the Sawtooths received gobs of snow this winter. It is still much deeper and later than usual, and the melt-off is more comparable to the Tetons (agonizingly slow) than the Wasatch. TR's suggest that most areas/lakes above 8000-8500 feet are still snowbound and frozen. I am also planning to be there during your time frame, and I'm concerned about the passes and unbridged streams. I do not anticipate any big climbs, but do expect to need an axe. Go to the idahosummits.com message board for a few reports and pics.

thanks jb.

I checked out idahosummits but find it a bit like bad fishing, trying to pick out the right spots to compare.

hopefully someone will get out there soon and report back.

that said, i'm interested in checking-in up to the date we're supposed to embark. we'll be spending a week in Glacier NP doing dayhikes and general farting around, then head S and hit up the idaho wilderness afterwards, say the 26th 27th or 28th start dates. if perhaps I could be of service reporting on the passes and trails up N, it would be cool to connect w you (or anyone for that matter) who might be in the central idaho wilderness the days preceeding.

anyone - feel free to PM me if you want to trade connects for late July last minute reports. I'll be coming from Seattle.

___L

As JB mentioned above, the Sawtooths/Frank currently have drifts starting about 8,000' and are mostly covered about 8,500'. But, it has been warm and sunny, so the levels should be quite a bit higher by the end of the month. Be ready for lots of mosquitoes. The snow is hard early in the day and soft (postholing) in the afternoon.

Erik