Thread: Bells Canyon, June 2010

Bells Canyon, June 2010

After getting Mt Olympus checked off the list I spent Memorial Day weekend exploring around Cedar Mesa with Randy followed by a week to recover afterword as I recall. Wanting to get a hike in at least every other week it was past time to go out again already so even if the weather was crappy I was going to be hiking this day, June 12, 2010. My favorite crappy weather hike is Bells Canyon I decided and so made for the trail head off of 90th South/Little Cottonwood Cyn Rd. Bells had just been in the news for high runoff and the first waterfall incident IIRC, and was about to be in the news again a couple of times. Nothing on this day would prelude those events except for perhaps an ominous volume of water rushing down the canyon under a grey overcast sky.

As always lately I would stop to capture the wildflowers not yet in my albums.

Woodland Star

Utah Sweat Pea climbing amongst the Gambel Oak.

The stream absolutely filling the banks near the first bridge. Doesn't look like much here unless you know what it looks like in the summer or fall by comparison.

First falls, impressive volume of water, too much mist and slippery ground for my shaky knees this time so I settled for this stand off through the trees shot then continued hiking.

misty panoramic

Up in to the clouds,
    Osprey Kestral 38 is a heavy little pack, love it here sporting the built in rain cover, keeping my gear dry!

A couple deer startlingly sprang from the mist crashing through the brush, of corse right after I put the camera away, I got it out again and took a few more shots of the scenery.

Some breaks in the clouds revealed the serrated ridge of igneous intrusive granite I knew was there.

Inspecting the foot and log bridges that were washed out where the trail crosses below the second falls, I decided the water too risky to attempt any crossing. There was snow under the trees now on the near slopes too, so I decided to photograph the falls from the base then call it a hike.

Reverent awe at the second waterfall.

Aspen messages

Some views opened up during my descent

Small ornate fountain of Rock-cress flowers.

One last look down Bells Canyon before the long hike and more rain came, keeping my camera stowed the rest of the day.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice. I'm in love with my Kestrel 38. Do you just use it as a day pack?

Killer report! Nice shots.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Nice. I'm in love with my Kestrel 38. Do you just use it as a day pack?
    Yes day pack use primarily, it worked great for a light overnighter once so far also.
    I Had been looking for a perfect for me day pack for a long time and the 38 nearly checked off the whole wish list.
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Killer report! Nice shots.
    Thank you.