Thread: Anyone ride?

Anyone ride?

I'm Sarah from the Durango area. My husband and I have been riding in SE Utah every spring and fall for the past 8 years, and the mountains in the summer. In a good year we cover about 400-500 miles, mostly on trails but some off trail as well. We love Comb Wash and Cedar Mesa, and have been to the Escalante once. My profile pic is Lobo Arch (now called Jacob Hamblin) in Coyote Creek (what an amazing place!!!!). Been in the Grand Gulch a few times, and Monument Valley with our own horses.

Anyhow, just wondering if there are other horse users on here?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hello Durango Sarah!
    Wanted to make you aware of some horse sense for Moab Utah, north of your favorite stomping grounds in SE Utah.
    Horseback Riding Moab 2011

The Old Spanish Trail Arena has 196 horse stalls for overnight rental, when an equestrian event isn’t dedicated to the property. Adjacent to the property is the OK RV Campground for hook ups or tent camping near your animals.

The BLM has one backcountry campsite at Upper Onion Creek Site A that accommodates 8-20 people and a corral for up to eight horses. The site is adequate for four vehicles with horse trailers. And this campsite can be reserved, as it is a group campsite. The BLM also recommends Goose Island, Ken’s Lake and Hittle Bottom Campsites as more suitable BLM sites for camping with horses. As a courtesy to campers who will arrive after your use, please pack out animal waste.

The Moab Travel Council website provides a brochure of Horseback Riding Trails for general trail descriptions and etiquette. The flyer lists requirements for Forest Service lands, Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lands, Canyonlands and Arches National Parks use for pack and saddle stock. Good news? Riding is permitted in the parks. There are specific conditions to adhere to for public lands riding.

Certified weed free feed is sold in Moab at the Farm & City General Store, located on Hwy 191. For large quantities contact them well in advance 435-259-0169. Canyyonlands National Park requires animals to be fed pellet feed 48 hours in advance of the park trip and all public lands require users to carry appropriate amounts of weed free feed. No grazing is permitted.

The Canyonlands PRCA Rodeo, the AQHA Horse Show and Barrel Racing events take place at the Old Spanish Trail Arena, south of Moab, annually. North of Moab in the Monitor and the Merrimac region, the Moab Endurance Race takes place annually in late October. For planners of horse events, find the Facility and Event Promoter of Moab at your disposal. Get connected to venues, permits, services required for the perfect equestrian event based in Moab Utah. Phone 435-259-1340 or email events at discovermoab dot com. I can send links, but am unable to post any at this time on bogley.

Thanks for the info, I am already aware of most of what you posted, but thanks anyhow. We have ridden around Moab a few times, but find we prefer the solitude of Cedar Mesa since there is hardly anyone out there :) Moab is gorgeous, but there are so many people, and for a good reason. We've ridden Onion Creek, we rode to Pritchett Arch from the Behind the Rocks area, rode a little in the Canyon Rims Recreational area. We rode Horseshoe Canyon a few years ago, sorta in the Moab area as the crow flies :)

I've heard that Arches is wonderful to ride in since they allow horse use in all the washes.

Quote Originally Posted by MoabUtah View Post
    I can send links, but am unable to post any at this time on bogley.
    We've got a 5 post minimum requirement before you can post links on bogley, but you have surpassed this.

Welcome to Bogley SarahR! Moab is too blasted hot right now. Who would actually go there right now...

Well, ya....we don't head over there until mid Sept at the earliest :) The lizards can have it to themselves for a bit!