Thread: Would You Drink a Sports Drink Made From Urine? Because Nasa Wants Astronauts To

Would You Drink a Sports Drink Made From Urine? Because Nasa Wants Astronauts To

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The thought of that is just gross. But did you know, that in much of the dryer states, the tap water one drinks is recycle sewage water.

sent from Samsung Epic 4g

^ Yeah but sewer water must be cleaner than river water before its released in to nature. At least that's the regulation on it.

If they would reevaluate the way we GET to space they could save probably 9,000$ per pound.

Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEberryBOB View Post
    If they would reevaluate the way we GET to space they could save probably 9,000$ per pound.

Idiots.
    Or...maybe just reevaluate the actual *need* for continued space travel to begin with. That would save millions, if not billions, of dollars that could either remain with the taxpayers (my preference) or go towards something more practical and pressing...like R&D on green and renewable energy to help sustain the needs of an ever-expanding human population on this planet.

The space program had its place, but IMO, the cost-benefit ratio is not worth it today. Sorry, NASA .

And, no, I would not be thrilled about drinking anything made from my own urine...unless my life depended upon it.
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Quote Originally Posted by canyonphile View Post
    Or...maybe just reevaluate the actual *need* for continued space travel to begin with. That would save millions, if not billions, of dollars that could either remain with the taxpayers (my preference) or go towards something more practical and pressing...like R&D on green and renewable energy to help sustain the needs of an ever-expanding human population on this planet.

The space program had its place, but IMO, the cost-benefit ratio is not worth it today. Sorry, NASA .

And, no, I would not be thrilled about drinking anything made from my own urine...unless my life depended upon it.
    Space travel is 100% NEEDED if we want to have our species continue past 4 billion (approx) years from now.. If colliding with our neighbor Galaxy doesn't get us the fact that our sun will be encompassing where the earths rotation is now will necessitate that we have space travel in order to live

and if you wont drink it if it is made from your own urine would you drink it if it was made from someone elses?
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

There may be a slight surplus of the golden sports drink since the space program is dying here quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonphile View Post

Don't you look up and wonder 'what do those starts look like up close' when you look in to the night sky? Humans were born to explore and ask why, how and, what if.

While I don't think a .gov run space agency is smart I think that paying the russians to send us up is even more retarded.
    I DO however think we can save TONS of money per lb if we used Jet tech to take us up as high as possible then switch to chemical rockets to get us in to orbit, totally controlled and workable, much cheaper....... and you wouldn't have to worry about burning up from friction of reentry!

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    Space travel is 100% NEEDED if we want to have our species continue past 4 billion (approx) years from now.. If colliding with our neighbor Galaxy doesn't get us the fact that our sun will be encompassing where the earths rotation is now will necessitate that we have space travel in order to live

and if you wont drink it if it is made from your own urine would you drink it if it was made from someone elses?
    When we collide with adromeda the likelyhood of another solar system crashing in to ours is HIGHLY unlikely, however the likelyhood of us all dieing due to a war, plague, asteroid, is much higher and warrants an off planet base that's self sustaining and that can continue on if we all perish.

We were born to go to the stars.

When we collide with adromeda the likelyhood of another solar system crashing in to ours is HIGHLY unlikely, however the likelyhood of us all dieing due to a war, plague, asteroid, is much higher and warrants an off planet base that's self sustaining and that can continue on if we all perish.
    Don't tell them that it is unlikely.. that is not the fact we are using here to convince people we need a space program even so good old Sol will take care of us even if we don't get smooshed by another planet during our dance with Andromeda :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    Well, since I don't think: a) we will come anywhere close to another 400,000 years (about as long as Homo sapiens has been around to date); b) we necessarily deserve to live that long, I guess you've just given me a more compelling reason to bag the space program .

If we can't learn to live on this green and blue marble that we've literally been a part of for the past 4.5 billion years or so (tho not in any recognizable form, of course), why do we deserve to live elsewhere? And what are the odds we'll find a planet that with the extremely narrow parameters required to sustain carbon-based life forms like us that could be reached within 2,000 human generations of continuous space travel? I say those odds are as slim as slim can get. Our best bet is to figure out how to make it work here.

And when the sun does go supernova in however many billion years they predict, and swallows up all the planets in the solar system, that's it. Game of life over.

Nope, unless it was to save my life. I've drunk dicey water before (dead insects strained out of it) on backpacking trips, and it might have had some type of pee in it as well, but see - ignorance is bliss .
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

Don't you look up and wonder 'what do those starts look like up close' when you look in to the night sky? Humans were born to explore and ask why, how and, what if.
    That's what telescopes are for, and some of the satellites have brought back the most amazing photos of the planets and their moons, as well as distal galaxies. I've seen the Milky Way in its full splendor under a light-pollution free sky, and marveled at it. But, I have no desire to leave earth.

However, I'm one of those science geeks that reads stuff on astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and the origin of the universe for fun. So, keeping things like the Hubble Telescope in working order so it can continue to find neat stuff like the microwaves that originated from the Big Bang, is okay. I think if it is ever able to confirm the existence of Dark Matter, that might be worth it, because that (along with proving the existence of certain subatomic particles theorized to exist) is very useful to understanding our origins. It's debatable as to whether there really is a TOE, or a GUT, but these unmanned spacecraft can do a better job and far cheaper job of collecting the data to send back to earth where it can be analyzed.

The book I'm reading now on the subject suggests that there is no Grand Unifying Theory, and argues String Theory is a bust (rather a shame, I think...that and the idea of Calabi-Yau type universes existing is beyond cool) and it is in fact the asymmetrical properties of the Universe that allow us to even be here. Even these hideously expensive supercolliders that have been built haven't provided the answers, although I bet they are really fun to play with!

Human travel to Mars, though? Lame. Pointless. Takes like 8 years to get to Mars one-way? Talk about inefficient use of resources! And for what gain?

If that even happens, it won't be for about 5 billion years, so really, it's not even worth pondering. I predict our species (and probably most higher life forms on earth) will be long gone (by billions of years) by then anyway.

We are a primitive species in many ways, and unless we can evolve to become something free of a physical form - which could happen over the course of a couple of billion years, I suppose - I predict we won't last another 10,000 years before we snuff ourselves out and probably take everything else out with us.

You really think so?

My relationship to stars is that I think it is wicked cool to realize that I am literally made up of stardust. And maybe some recycled trilobites and dinosaur along the way to becoming "me" .
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page