Thread: Anyone get the allergy shots?

Anyone get the allergy shots?

I've had it with allergies and being on meds! I have felt completely worthless since June due to a zombie like sleep deprived state. I can't go out and play, mowing the lawn is torture. I take Zyrtec every night. Sometimes that doesn't cut it, and I take a Benedryl just to stand being awake, but the offset is that it makes me a zombie.

So I'm considering allergy shots as an alternative. Anyone get them? What do you think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My brother does the allergy shots but mostly because of his intense pet allergies. He couldn't even sit on an airplane without someone's cat dander driving him nuts. I have wicked seasonal allergies and I take Allegra D and Rhinocort Aqua nasal spray (Rx) from about March into mid July each year. I've tried just about everything over the counter and it's the only thing that has ever truly worked for me. Allegra D is available over the counter now but it's like $2 per pill, if you get a prescription there is a generic (fexofenadrine) that is much less.

I second ibenick.. but I go with the generic claritin D 24 hour stuff (wallyworld has it for $1 per pill so it is not as painful) as well as Rhinocort.. I looked into the shots and can't remember why I didn't do them...
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

I've done them twice, once when I was 8-10, and again a few years ago. The first go around it took 3 years, and was pretty effective, but eventually my allergies returned. I did a 2nd series for another 3 years and it was pretty miserable getting the shots each week. Swollen itchy injection area that felt like a bee sting for 3-4 days, and horrible heartburn if I didn't take a zantac before the shots. Its been a couple years, and I decided that it just wasn't worth it. Allergies have been bad this year, but I'm trying to treat it with eye drops, fluticasone (flonase), and an occsional zyrtec. The zyrtec makes me feel like a bum. No energy except to sit around and watch TV.

Maybe I need to experiment with Claritin or Allegra? Are they 24 hour pills? Does D mean daytime? I don't want it making me wired at night.

The D signifies that they have psuedoephedrine and are therefore kept under tighter than normal controls to keep folks from buying it to cook into meth. It doesn't wire me up at all, I feel completely normal and sleep like usual. I take one each morning and I'm good. It does usually take a week or so to work into my system though so don't try it and wonder why it isn't working the same day.

I grew up taking the shots I had allergies so bad. Every year in the spring, a couple of shots and I was good for the season, but since I moved up here to Wyoming all I've had to do was make sure I took a Claritin every day in the spring and summer and I've been good to go. I still have a fear of russian olive trees, any weeds with yellow flowers....ok...'fear' might be a little strong. Even now at 46 when I cut the grass I have to wash off the clippings before I start to itch like hell.

Tall grass kicks my butt. So I am just beginning a one month ass kicking. I take some Walmart version of Zyrtec. So far so good. Shower immediately after cutting the grass. And... unfortunately no fishing off the banks of rivers or lakes ( kick up too much pollen). Rivers are still high anyway.