Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone bear kills hiker

Yellowstone bear kills hiker

A man hiking with his wife on a Yellowstone National Park trail was mauled to death by a bear on Wednesday, the National Park Service said, noting it was the first such fatality in 25 years.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43661957...s-environment/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

News report I saw last night said they startled the mother with her cubs. I just hope Yellowstone doesn't get sued.

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    News report I saw last night said they startled the mother with her cubs. I just hope Yellowstone doesn't get sued.
    Well, if it was a precious child that was killed, rather than some washed-up 57 y.o. adult, I'd say odds for a lawsuit would be much higher . But, I bet this got the attention of some personal injury lawyers anyway - it's like chum thrown in the water.
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Wow! That's sad. I cant imagine watching your partner get chewed up while you watch helplessly. I would have been packing heat in bear country.

Better kill all the bears.... that'll teach'm.

I just got back from spending 4 days in Yellowstone. I stayed the night in Canyons area for all 3 nights because it is kind of a centeral location within the park. I saw 7 different bears. I had driven just 1 hour earlier on a road that became washed out from the high flows of the lamar river. Guns are not allowed in the park, but I did see a lot of people with pepper spray holstered on their side.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    but I did see a lot of people with pepper spray holstered on their side.
    Climb-Utah.com advises those backpacking in remote areas to attach bells to clothing and carry pepper spray in defense from bear attack. The bells are a non-alarming manner of alerting bears to your presence. It is also important to familiarize yourself with bear scat to ascertain which sub species of bear you are dealing with. Black bear scat contains berry seeds and particles of rodent fur. Grizzly bear scat contains bells & smells like pepper spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Climb-Utah.com advises those backpacking in remote areas to attach bells to clothing and carry pepper spray in defense from bear attack. The bells are a non-alarming manner of alerting bears to your presence. It is also important to familiarize yourself with bear scat to ascertain which sub species of bear you are dealing with. Black bear scat contains berry seeds and particles of rodent fur. Grizzly bear scat contains bells & smells like pepper spray.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonphile View Post
    But, I bet this got the attention of some personal injury lawyers anyway - it's like chum thrown in the water.
    Not this PI lawyer. Sorry.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Not this PI lawyer. Sorry.
    God, I'd hope not; I'd expect that from the dudes with their faces (and a bald eagle) plastered all over billboards with the 1-800 number. I hope you didn't think I was referring to you, Scott . Granted I don't know you personally, but I know you well enough from your posts here to know you don't roll that way .

You really a PI attorney? I thought maybe you did business law or something.
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

Nope, litigator. I do mainly PI and criminal cases with a few select family law cases. But I am mostly a court room guy. I know you weren't referring to me. I actually had a pretty good day really but the comment just struck a nerve. I have a personal history with accidents. My family was messed up badly by a semi when I was in 5th grade. I was the only one not hurt who was in the car. As of a few years ago, I now get to deal with my own neck issues from another lousy driver. There are real claims and real pain. Yes there are fake ones too that are brought by dishonest people and unethical lawyers. I hope I am never considered in that class of lawyers.

My client's are virtually all referrals, probably 95%, since I really don't advertise other than a small something or other in a phone book. Actually, I haven't looked in a phone book for a couple of years so I am not sure what is there. I do know that we have cut back significantly in the past couple of years. As in all professions, there are a few lemons and some are deserving of your comment.

I do agree with the general ideas and flavor of your statement above. Personal responsibility people. If you go into the back country, you take the risk. The last I knew, the government doesn't control animals, weather, or pokie sticks that may hurt you. Oh wait, I think Al Gore may have something to do with controlling the weather or maybe he invented it. I don't remember. But I digress.

This is a really sad story. Wrong place at the wrong time.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    My family was messed up badly by a semi when I was in 5th grade. I was the only one not hurt who was in the car. As of a few years ago, I now get to deal with my own neck issues from another lousy driver. There are real claims and real pain. Yes there are fake ones too that are brought by dishonest people and unethical lawyers. I hope I am never considered in that class of lawyers.
    And I've been on the other side - as a defendant in a med-mal case from a PI quack that should have known better than to take the case. It even went to trial (have I ever mentioned this here on Bogley? I don't remember...) and he went down in flames financially when he lost the case . Made sitting in the courtroom for 2 weeks worth it, though , and hopefully, that forced his retirement (dude was in his 70's and clearly hadn't seen the inside of a courtroom for years). It was a classic med-mal case: plaintiff was a medical welfare middle-aged female, and was looking to get a piece of the pie and apparently her attorney was so convinced that a jury would fall for her sob story (losing her leg) that he failed to pay adequate attention to her incredible degree of non-compliance. He wouldn't admit to it for obvious reasons, but I'm convinced that the orthopod who treated this woman after I did is the one that threw me under the bus. I know the jury had to wonder why he wasn't named as a co-defendant.

But, believe me: I totally agree that true pain, injury and suffering exist, and when it is caused by some drunk, a careless driver or negligent care by a doctor, the plaintiff/victim deserves compensation.

My client's are virtually all referrals, probably 95%, since I really don't advertise other than a small something or other in a phone book. Actually, I haven't looked in a phone book for a couple of years so I am not sure what is there. I do know that we have cut back significantly in the past couple of years. As in all professions, there are a few lemons and some are deserving of your comment.
    It is always appalling to me the sheer number of full-page ads you see in the "attorney" section of the yellow pages! I'd NEVER choose an attorney that way, but clearly, many people do. If you get your business by referrals, then you're clearly doing something right by people and for the profession .

I do agree with the general ideas and flavor of your statement above. Personal responsibility people. If you go into the back country, you take the risk. The last I knew, the government doesn't control animals, weather, or pokie sticks that may hurt you. Oh wait, I think Al Gore may have something to do with controlling the weather or maybe he invented it. I don't remember. But I digress.
    Yeah, that was the real point I was making: that shit happens, sometimes very horrible, tragic things like a death, but there isn't always someone to blame and get money from. But, the NPS has to have its own attorneys, because there will be *someone* who thinks they are somehow responsible. I'm reminded of that recent thread here where the kid (with food in his tent) was killed by the black bear on FS land. And, the kid that was killed when he fell along Emerald Pools in Zion. Accidents happen. No one, even the almighty US Govt., can insure your safety 100% of the time. Personal responsibility always comes with risks, as you say.

The whole thing is so sad and tragic. Bears scare me and I don't like them at all, but the bear was doing what her instinct told her to do: protect her cubs against a perceived threat.

The best thing the Yellowstone NPS can do is put up a new warning sign telling visitors about the death...maybe some people will choose not to go on hikes as a result, which isn't a horrible thing. I sure as to heck would want to know if a hiker got killed by a friggin' bear if I were there!
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

Quote Originally Posted by canyonphile View Post
    rather than some washed-up 57 y.o. adult
    That thought did run through my mind

You don't need regular ole' pepper spray, you need bear blaster

Name:  mace-bear-pepper-&.jpg
Views: 4151
Size:  46.1 KB

We were in Yellowstone a few years ago and a ranger offered to give us a ride through some construction. He asked if we had bear spray, "Ah, no but we have bells" Ranger rolls eyes and a says "Good luck"

We're going back in Sept and just 10 days ago I talked to a friend in Cody, he told me there were a lot more Grizzlies since we were last there.

I'm not sure you can't carry a gun in Yellowstone, it would be up to Wyoming law which I'm not familiar with. Utah CCW holders can carry in National Parks in Utah.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by Win View Post
    We were in Yellowstone a few years ago and a ranger offered to give us a ride through some construction. He asked if we had bear spray, "Ah, no but we have bells" Ranger rolls eyes and a says "Good luck"

We're going back in Sept and just 10 days ago I talked to a friend in Cody, he told me there were a lot more Grizzlies since we were last there.

I'm not sure you can't carry a gun in Yellowstone, it would be up to Wyoming law which I'm not familiar with. Utah CCW holders can carry in National Parks in Utah.

Win
    You can carry a gun in Yellowstone (other than in visitor centers and other posted places) if you have a permit valid it whatever state you are in (ID, WY or MT). It is against the law, however, to discharge a firearm in any part of Yellowstone.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

FWIW: About the only thing that will turn a charging grizzly is a 12 gauge shotgun.

No, Chuck Norris or Grizzly Adams

Name:  Chuck+Norris+vs.+&.jpg
Views: 2366
Size:  96.1 KB

Views: 2061
Size:  88.6 KB

Views: 1720
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  grizzly-adams-03%&.jpg
Views: 5865
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  Grizzly+Adams..jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  46.8 KB

FWIW: About the only thing that will turn a charging grizzly is a 12 gauge shotgun.
    I packed a semi auto shotgun with alternating 3" slugs and buckshot for bears while I was on a remote 10 day trip with my Dad in Alaska. A mother bear brought 3 cubs with her right into our camp while we were eating dinner on our last night. I decided to leave the gun in its case since we hadn't had any bear problems. Since I was only about 6 feet from the mother bear, I thought that I was going to be attacked for sure. I am sure that I would have unloaded that shotgun if it would have been in reach. It turned out good for both the bears and my dad and I when he hollared and scared the bear away.

These Alaska rangers might disagree:

On Thursday, June 16th, park rangers were notified of a bear spray deployment by two of its rangers on backcountry patrol in the Chitistone region of the park on Wednesday.Evan Olson and Nate Porter were forced to deploy bear spray to deter a charging mother grizzly bear, after two spring cubs wandered too close to the retreating rangers.The charge was repulsed within a matter of a few feet from contacting them, reported Olson.

http://www.nps.gov/wrst/parknews/wrs...r-activity.htm

I learned today that the man killed was a brother of my co-worker. Very sad event for such a nice family. :-(
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden