Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuesday Group Ride in SLC (07.12.11) - Ridge Trail/South Fork Little Deer Creek Loop

Tuesday Group Ride in SLC (07.12.11) - Ridge Trail/South Fork Little Deer Creek Loop

Meet at 6 PM at the gravel turn off right before the fee station at the mouth of AF canyon. We will carpool up.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The actual Tibble Fork trail is still closed and will be for a while, but the Ridge Trail / South Fork Little Deer Creek loop is a blast. I'd be happy to lead if you want to come down this way.
    Are we there yet?

I am game for another PC ride or whatever, never ridden the Mormon trails but as long as my wife's schedule permits I should be good to go. Hopefully the weather isn't too toasty!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

That sounds good Steve. The weather looks cooler with possible rain showers over the next 5 days or so. Who else wants to join? Perhaps @PunchKing will be able to get back in the saddle?

He punched out some poor sucker a couple years ago and the karma finally caught up to him when he accidentally hit the ejector button in Park City. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...n-Mueller-Park

Where has @Luce been this year?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    That sounds good Steve. The weather looks cooler with possible rain showers over the next 5 days or so. Who else wants to join? Perhaps @PunchKing will be able to get back in the saddle?

He punched out some poor sucker a couple years ago and the karma finally caught up to him when he accidentally hit the ejector button in Park City. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...n-Mueller-Park

Where has @Luce been this year?
    I just saw Luce driving home the other day on I-15. I recognized his vehical with the Bogley sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    The actual Tibble Fork trail is still closed and will be for a while, but the Ridge Trail / South Fork Little Deer Creek loop is a blast. I'd be happy to lead if you want to come down this way.
    What time should we meet and where? How about 6 PM at the mouth of the canyon (gravel area on the right). How many miles is the trail? Is this the one that intersects the trail we usually ride down from the top parking lot? Is it the one that goes east (I believe) from a 4 way intersection?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    What time should we meet and where? How about 6 PM at the mouth of the canyon (gravel area on the right). How many miles is the trail? Is this the one that intersects the trail we usually ride down from the top parking lot? Is it the one that goes east (I believe) from a 4 way intersection?
    6 PM at the gravel turnout works for me. SFLDC #252 trail is the one that heads east from the 4-way. It's a mile and a half down, mostly in very dense forest terrain. Many riders call this section the Ewok Forest and it fits. It has some roots, bumps and twisty turns but nothing hairy. It flows very nice and can be ridden fast. One of the best downhill runs in the state, albeit too short. After the trail crosses the Cascade Springs Road, you have to climb a mile and a half back to the Summit parking lot or we can park where the trail crosses the road, begin with the long climb and end with the downhill run. In all there's probably 1,200' of climbing. If we are up for a longer ride we can do the lariat loop option for about 12 miles and 2,000' of climbing. That option begins at the Timpooneke parking lot. Keep in mind that the climbing and downhill runs are near equal. As much as you climb, you have that much downhill.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    6 PM at the gravel turnout works for me. SFLDC #252 trail is the one that heads east from the 4-way. It's a mile and a half down, mostly in very dense forest terrain. Many riders call this section the Ewok Forest and it fits. It has some roots, bumps and twisty turns but nothing hairy. It flows very nice and can be ridden fast. One of the best downhill runs in the state, albeit too short. After the trail crosses the Cascade Springs Road, you have to climb a mile and a half back to the Summit parking lot or we can park where the trail crosses the road, begin with the long climb and end with the downhill run. In all there's probably 1,200' of climbing. If we are up for a longer ride we can do the lariat loop option for about 12 miles and 2,000' of climbing. That option begins at the Timpooneke parking lot. Keep in mind that the climbing and downhill runs are near equal. As much as you climb, you have that much downhill.
    Sounds like a plan!

Who else is riding tomorrow? I wonder how much rain they got up AF?

I have my schedule cleared but want to make sure the long drive is for a somewhat long ride seems like we will plow through the short loop in no time?

I'm all for the longer 12 mile lariat loop. It is very, very fun! The trail should be in fine shape tomorrow.
    Are we there yet?

I will bring my gear. Hoping that I do not have to deal with the mess of traffic too bad? I am coming from up north so I will keep my fingers crossed

Shawn (redfox) and I were thinking of joining up with you. You mind if two guys slower on the ups joined? Don't want to slow you down to much. Were coming from the north and will hope to be there by 6:00 if traffic isn't to bad.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpecialized View Post
    Shawn (redfox) and I were thinking of joining up with you. You mind if two guys slower on the ups joined? Don't want to slow you down to much. Were coming from the north and will hope to be there by 6:00 if traffic isn't to bad.
    No prob at all. My knee still isn't 100% after tearing my MCL. So I won't be super fast either.

Just so you know what to look for, I'll be driving my burgundy Jeep Liberty. Call me if you get stuck in traffic and will be late: 801-592-5521.
    Are we there yet?

Sounds good, I get off work at 5:00 in centerville and will be going to pick up Shawn in SLC. It usually takes me about 45 min. to get there with no trafic. So I hope traffic from 72 south to the point of the mountain isn't to bad and I can get there in 1 hour.

tallsteve, I will look for jeep and call if we are running late. THANKS!!

I have my gear and bike with me now, are there any specific roads to take or avoid with all the construciton....

How is the rain looking there, and does this trail handle the rain well? I am sick and tired of this rain!

You guys may want to leave earlier if possible. The traffic going from the freeway to AF canyon can get bad with the construction. It could take 30 minutes to drive that stretch. We have plenty of light and can wait for you guys since we know you are coming, but if you can leave earlier...

The rain does suck...Steve said the trail would be in good shape.

The weather looks okay. 30% until 5 and then 20%. It might be nice and tacky with cooler temps.