Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Subway 07/03/11

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Great pics, Felicia.

I've seen that worn out look hiking up the exit many times....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Excellent photos and happy to see that you solved your upload issues.

Dig this one and others...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    The petty restrictions on your permit should never keep you from doing what is best for your party. Making sure everyone finds the trail up is a good idea (though).

That they think it is important for you to show them the paper copy is due to a lack of preparation on their part.

T
    I disagree. You should have the permit ready for the rangers. WELL, When I get the permit, I respectfully fold it and always put the permit right in my pocket for quick retrieval. Then I rap, and swim and hike and sweat and swim some more. Then when the nice ranger asks for my permit, I reach in my pocket and wring out the fibers and hand him my permit. Granted it looks like what we used to throw on the bathroom ceilings in grade school but it is my permit.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I disagree. You should have the permit ready for the rangers. WELL, When I get the permit, I respectfully fold it and always put the permit right in my pocket for quick retrieval. Then I rap, and swim and hike and sweat and swim some more. Then when the nice ranger asks for my permit, I reach in my pocket and wring out the fibers and hand him my permit. Granted it looks like what we used to throw on the bathroom ceilings in grade school but it is my permit.
    Well, at least you do not use it as bumwad before presenting it to authorities.

A couple of years ago, I was carrying the permit. I put it right where I would be able to locate it if requested. At the end of the day, in the parking lot, the permit was requested. Of course, I could not find it. We had to wait while the backcountry staff responded to the radio call to confirm my status. We lost a valuable hour of travel time home and I went to work the next day with only three hours of sleep. BTW - the permit was in my food drybag.

Last year, I waited at the trailhead for our group to exit. Of the eight, three moved faster and arrived at the top. The ranger arrived. The permit was requested. I offered an explanation. The ranger would wait. Two more arrived - they needed to get the rentals returned and then deadhead home. Ranger wanted the permit. We all had to wait. The final three arrived at the top. The permit holder had remained with the slowest and it took time to climb the hill. Permit was requested. Only after the permit was shown, was everyone able to continue with their plans. Rule #1 - stay together had been broken that afternoon.

So now we keep a permit with us, and a copy in the cars at the exit trailhead in hopes that we can get out of the parking lot faster.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    A couple of years ago, I was carrying the permit. I put it right where I would be able to locate it if requested. At the end of the day, in the parking lot, the permit was requested. Of course, I could not find it. We had to wait while the backcountry staff responded to the radio call to confirm my status. We lost a valuable hour of travel time home and I went to work the next day with only three hours of sleep. BTW - the permit was in my food drybag.

Last year, I waited at the trailhead for our group to exit. Of the eight, three moved faster and arrived at the top. The ranger arrived. The permit was requested. I offered an explanation. The ranger would wait. Two more arrived - they needed to get the rentals returned and then deadhead home. Ranger wanted the permit. We all had to wait. The final three arrived at the top. The permit holder had remained with the slowest and it took time to climb the hill. Permit was requested. Only after the permit was shown, was everyone able to continue with their plans. Rule #1 - stay together had been broken that afternoon.

So now we keep a permit with us, and a copy in the cars at the exit trailhead in hopes that we can get out of the parking lot faster.
    Were you under arrest? ie, were you not free to leave?

T

Were you under arrest?
    No

I don't like confrontation. Given what I deal with day-in and day-out, this battle is too small. I try to comply efficiently and move along.

Beside - I don't want to get a reputation like Scott!!!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Better not talk to me. Or perhaps you could just refer to me as "Slim." They don't know what I look like. They just know....SCOTT CARD.... but Slim would throw them off.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Better not talk to me. Or perhaps you could just refer to me as "Slim." They don't know what I look like. They just know....SCOTT CARD.... but Slim would throw them off.
    Ok Wilf!!! Can you yoddle?

Were you under arrest? ie, were you not free to leave?

T
    Yeah, hell. What a PITA...permits.

The guy camping that you passed on your way out was an photographer from italy who wanted to get the good light in the morning. That was the clearest I have ever seen the Subway in the 8 times I have done it! It was nice briefly meeting your group on the upper half of the subway that day! Nice pics thanks for sharing.

Felicia, loved your photos and trip report! You mentioned being in the right place at the right time to get certain photos. What time was that? I'm hoping to get into the Subway in the next eight weeks. I tried with a group of teens in May (bottom up). Took us five hours to reach the Subway only to have to turn around because the water was too high, too fast and too cold. Your pictures are some of the best I've seen of Subway and I can't wait to venture another try!

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor love View Post
    It was nice briefly meeting your group on the upper half of the subway that day! Nice pics thanks for sharing.
    It was nice to meet and chat with your group as well - it was a wonderful day!

Quote Originally Posted by arnellfam View Post
    Felicia, loved your photos and trip report! You mentioned being in the right place at the right time to get certain photos. What time was that? I'm hoping to get into the Subway in the next eight weeks. I tried with a group of teens in May (bottom up). Took us five hours to reach the Subway only to have to turn around because the water was too high, too fast and too cold. Your pictures are some of the best I've seen of Subway and I can't wait to venture another try!
    Thank you arnellfam. I'm flattered. I like to arrive at the subway section of The Subway when the sun is overhead. Not sure what time this will be on the clock over the next eight weeks. Good luck and have an awesome trip. I look forward to seeing your photos.

This was my trip report from the last time I was in The Subway in 2009:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ubway-07-12-09

Those are some fantastic photos, thanks for sharing! Maybe next year I can make it back out that way and check it out with some experienced photographer/hikers!

Bogley BigShot
    Exceptional photos Felicia!

Great photos! Thanks for sharing! It was great to visit with you at the fest. Hope we get to do it again soon. Got your voice back yet?
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

Beautiful pics, must make sure I fit Subway in next time I'm over.

Julie

So that's what John looks like sober!
    Sorry John

Julie

Thanks Tanya!

Quote Originally Posted by dbaxter View Post
    Great photos! Thanks for sharing! It was great to visit with you at the fest. Hope we get to do it again soon. Got your voice back yet?
    I do now - I had no idea that I could be that sick and still be alive! *LOL* OK - maybe a little dramatic. We will try to catch a meal with you guys the next time we are out your way. I want to hear all about Alaska.

Thanks Jules! I'm sorry were not able to swing The Subway together - next time for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by jdgibney View Post
    Those are some fantastic photos, thanks for sharing! Maybe next year I can make it back out that way and check it out with some experienced photographer/hikers!
    Thanks! Keep us posted as to when you are returning - you never know who will be around.