Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Subway 07/03/11

The Subway 07/03/11

Well, after almost two years, I finally got back into The Subway on Sunday. It was quite the adventure.

After my aggressive stance to be at the trailhead at 6:00 AM was ignored, we got a late start of 7:30 AM. Actually, I guess this was best because the two Noobs in the group arrived in Hurricane at 2:00 AM and did not get much sleep. With assistance from the staff at ZAC, I rented their 5.10s - thank goodness they fit! There was 7 of us in the group. The meet-up and shuttle went without a hitch and we were heading down the trail.

My feet did not like traveling down the slick rock and by the time we got to the top of Russell Gulch, my feet were spent. Oh well - I was not going back! It was way too hot and I was on a mission to see the pools that I had seen in the pictures that were posted from the Bogley Fest Subway trip. I wanted my own pictures!

This trip was my 12th time to The Subway, and this was the first time that I found the water was not cold enough. *LOL* The only time my feet did not scream was when they were in the water. Needless to say, I stayed in the water as much as I could.

I was not disappointed - The Subway was beautiful!!!! Because we were traveling slow, the lighting was perfect when we arrived at the last rappel. The pools were incredible. All the sand has been scoured out and they are deep! The pools still has sand at the bottom, so it does make you wonder how deep they go. I spent a lot of time in the waterfall room taking pictures. I arrived just as the sun was hitting the falls in the room. I stayed until the sun was directly overhead - I got an incredible set of photos.

The walk out was very long for me. We usually get out around 4:00/5:00 PM, but we did not get out until 9:00 PM. We then drove straight back to SoCal. The drive was brutal. After that drive, having sore feet is nothing! *LOL*

BUT - I made it!!!!!!!!!! The trip was worth each and every painful step and I will go again.

Given that I cannot seem to post pictures on this new Bogley format, here is a link to some pictures:
    (link removed -- scroll down for all photos and additional photos - Thanks!!!)

And here is a link to a wonderful blog posting:

http://zionadventures.com/ZBlog/znp/...amatic-subway/

Enjoy!

ps: I will add more pictures here once I figure out how to post them here - and do not tell me to check blah...blah...blah. I've done that! (Beech - I will send you a screen shot that you requested.)
    Last edited by Felicia; 07-14-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Remove FB link as pictures now posted.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Name:  263184_101503069828&.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  76.8 KB

Here is one of your pictures..... just cut-n-paste....

And I love this one....

Name:  263904_101503069837&.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  112.6 KB

Beautiful pool

Went thru a day before you via Das Boot and the pool pictured above was just one of some amazing scenery thru that section. If I remember correctly there was a long swimmer just before it and around the corner with super clear water and a clean sandy bottom that we just couldn't drag ourselves out of...not that it was difficult, just the opposite. Felt like we were floating in some tropical waters rather than the heart of Zion, and we just wanted to linger and enjoy....

Wow, those are neat photo's. Post some more up!

That "Dramatic Bend" blog photo is great. I have not seen that perspective before. Very cool!
    Life is Good

Thanks for the kind comments. There are three more cameras of pictures that I have not seen. I will add to the thread over the next couple of days.

I saw a couple of things different this trip. In the morning I saw a couple tent camping as we were walking in - around the area just before you would turn if you were descending Russell Gulch. Later in the afternoon, after the area where the second stream comes into the canyon from the right and just before the exit, a guy had set up a tent for the night. Is the Park allowing certain types of tent camping in that area now?

We did not see any rangers all day.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    I saw a couple of things different this trip. In the morning I saw a couple tent camping as we were walking in - around the area just before you would turn if you were descending Russell Gulch. Later in the afternoon, after the area where the second stream comes into the canyon from the right and just before the exit, a guy had set up a tent for the night. Is the Park allowing certain types of tent camping in that area now?

There is a 'dispersed camping area' down the Northgate Peaks Trail, but no, neither of these parties were within that area, so both were illegal!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wait, what... Huh? What day of the week was this, what time, what was the alignment of the stars and constellations, what car did you drive, did you have a cloaking device, was there some canyon poacher somewhere else they had all converged on.... This important stuff. We need answers! You may want to p.m. sideband with your secret since there a Zion spies on this board.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Wait, what... Huh? What day of the week was this, what time, what was the alignment of the stars and constellations, what car did you drive, did you have a cloaking device, was there some canyon poacher somewhere else they had all converged on.... This important stuff. We need answers! You may want to p.m. sideband with your secret since there a Zion spies on this board.
    Now Scott, I did not detect a drop of sarcasm. It is not like she suggested the Rangers were enjoying a thermos of coffee and powdered donuts in a parking lot somewhere. I personally hope these rangers are spending their time where visitors are concentrated (e.g. helping speeders and people lost in the camp grounds) rather than wasting their time trying to bag a stray violator like Canyonman who is out there saving lives and clearing unnecessary bolts.

Ken

Ok - here are the pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images                       

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Great photos
    Thank you!

I got a picture of my husband!

Name:  DSCF0598.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  389.8 KB

There was a red webbing handline set up at this obstacle:

Name:  DSCF0609.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  423.3 KB

A strange angle to take a photo; but I like it.

Name:  DSCF0677.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  167.7 KB

My husband left his pack by the pools:

Name:  DSCF0680.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  229.6 KB

What struck my sense of awe the most during this trip was how clear the water was in the pools. Everything felt fresh and clean. It seems like the flooding this past winter scoured out the canyon.

Name:  DSCF0681.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  400.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Wow, those are neat photo's. Post some more up!
    Thanks Brian! There were three other cameras on this trip. I have not seen the pictures yet, but I'm sure there will be more pictures to share.

Shane - I think I got it!!!!!

ps: Thanks for my into to The Subway back in '05. This was my 11th trip since that adventurous meeting.

OK, I have never seen pics like this of the subway. Probably because I have never read much in the Canyons threads, but WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a place. For just some regular guy how does one end up going on a trip like this? Must start reading up on the subway now!!!!

PS, thanks for sharing these killer shots!

Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    OK, I have never seen pics like this of the subway. Probably because I have never read much in the Canyons threads, but WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a place. For just some regular guy how does one end up going on a trip like this? Must start reading up on the subway now!!!!

PS, thanks for sharing these killer shots!
    Yes you do need to read up on this and then do it. It really is a marvelous place, a place that I have gone to repeatedly even several times in one summer. You must do it top down so you can experience it all. Hook up with someone who has gone before and who knows what they are doing and you should really enjoy it.

Felecia really did capture some really creative and beautiful shots. Very nice work!
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    There is a 'dispersed camping area' down the Northgate Peaks Trail, but no, neither of these parties were within that area, so both were illegal!
    Thanks Tom - that is what I thought. By the time I was passing the guy in tent at the end of the day, I was ready to boot him out of that tent and crash for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I'm taking the 5th!

Actually, I mentioned not seeing a range this time because this is the first time that I have not encountered a ranger in all our trips through The Subway. When it was getting late, I tried to send the strong part of the group ahead to complete the car shuttle and make prior commitments timely. The permit holder, rightly so, refused to allow the group to break up until we were sure that everyone took the correct trail up and out of the Fork. When they left, I told them what to say to the ranger and where to locate a copy of the permit that was left in the car at the top, but they never saw a ranger.

I can report that the rest of the Park and the local towns were crawling with law enforcements.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Actually, I mentioned not seeing a range this time because this is the first time that I have not encountered a ranger in all our trips through The Subway. When it was getting late, I tried to send the strong part of the group ahead to complete the car shuttle and make prior commitments timely. The permit holder, rightly so, refused to allow the group to break up until we were sure that everyone took the correct trail up and out of the Fork. When they left, I told them what to say to the ranger and where to locate a copy of the permit that was left in the car at the top, but they never saw a ranger.
    The petty restrictions on your permit should never keep you from doing what is best for your party. Making sure everyone finds the trail up is a good idea (though).

The permit exists inside the Park Service's computer. That paper copy... merely an annoyance. That they think it is important for you to show them the paper copy is due to a lack of preparation on their part.

T