Thread: Mesa Verde Backcountry

Mesa Verde Backcountry

http://www.prweb.com/releases/mesa-v...web8231849.htm

Hmmm this may draw me back to Mesa Verde Disney!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Colorado’s Mesa Verde Institute Opens Four Backcountry Hikes for Summer, Fall -- Mesa Verde Country

Trails are at 7,000 feet, uneven and unpaved, and most include steps and ladders. Many traverse narrow paths along cliff edges and move through tight passages.

maybe that's why it is called "hiking".

Thank god the NPS is there to protect us.

So glad I saw this - I will be there for one day in September. Thanks!

[QUOTE]
    1. Square Tower House
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

My thoughts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonphile View Post

While it would be neat to see these ruins, I really can't see shelling out $20-40 for the privilege. Plus, guided tours aren't my thing.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Wow - apparently, you guys are in the minority. The two dates I'm going to be there (mid-September) are already booked up. Bummer. I always (falsely) assume that once school is back in session the parks won't be so crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Firedancer View Post
    Wow - apparently, you guys are in the minority. The two dates I'm going to be there (mid-September) are already booked up. Bummer. I always (falsely) assume that once school is back in session the parks won't be so crowded.
    I'm sorry you couldn't get in on one of those dates you wanted...and yeah, even though it's not my thing (having seen more remote ruins that still have intact middens with pottery sherds everywhere, parts of grinding metates and 800 y.o. corncobs still scattered about, while having the place to myself - anything the NPS has its hands in will fall short), I think it's nice that they offer these tours to people who want a little more.

If you have time and the ability to get there, I'd consider going to Chaco Canyon, in northern NM, west of Hwy 550. It doesn't have cliff dwellings, but the pueblo ruins are huge and impressive. Plus, you can hike out a few miles (with the free permit) and see this ruin - Penasco Blanco - one of the Great Houses, and is un-excavated. It's about a 7 mile RT hike, which weeds out those who don't want to walk more than 200 yards on a paved path to see something, which is most tourists:

Mesa Verde is very neat, but the crowds are such a buzzkill....it is like Disneyland. I find visiting Anasazi ruins to be a special and spiritual experience, but you won't get that at all at MV.
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"