Thread: Tripod needed for rafting trip

Tripod needed for rafting trip

Hi all - I read through the previous tripod threads and wrote a few models down, but would like to see what sub-$100 tripod you would recommend for an upcoming rafting trip. I have a Nikon D3000 and have a 18-55 lens plus a 300mm lens. My main purpose for this trip is to take night shots with the 18-55 and since I am on a guided raft trip, I will have limited space for a tripod in my drybags.

Question - is the SLR gorillapod effective for this use?

I realize by being cheap I won't get my "forever" tripod, but I need to spend under $100 at this point.

(Any tips on transporting the camera in a drybag would also be welcome!)

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

gorillapod? not likely. just not nearly as flexible as a tripod.

a tripod for a 100 bucks is doable, but then you have to worry about a head too. i wouldn't worry about dry bagging your tripod on the river. just throw it in the hatch. tripods can take abuse.

this is probably the best ballhead/legs combo for 100 bucks. not super tall though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...luminum_4.html

Thanks! It's a guided trip, so we are pretty much limited to what fits in the dry bag. I have a cheapy regular size tripod but for this am looking for kind of a one use - setting up for night shots in the desert plus short enough to fit in a 17" drybag.

hmm... in that case. try this one. if you really need small, this seems pretty popular. and it will fit in your drybag. it's very stable, decent head. but it's just short. helps if your camera has an articulated screen, not sure if the d3000 does. otherwise, be prepared to spend time in the dirt setting up images. what river are you doing?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ini_II_GM.html

Thanks - I was looking at that one as it was recommended on another thread here.

It's a trip down the Colorado through Canyonlands - with OARS outfitter. Anxious to see what the water is like in September!

running cataract? that will be awesome. how many days are you on the river?

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    running cataract? that will be awesome. how many days are you on the river?
    Yep. 4 days, 3 nights. Kinda pricey, but I think it will be worth it. I'm driving out from Illinois and then stopping in Telluride to see Willie Nelson on the way home!

Willie in town park? The best place to see anyone in the world. Bring your goretex though.
    As Dan said, why put the tripod in a dry bag? Also, consider the investment in your camera and lenses when you buy something to support it. If it is cheap, make sure it has a pretty wide stance.