Thread: The Best Canyoneering Books?

The Best Canyoneering Books?

Heya canyoneering peeps, I am doing some research and looking at a bunch of books to give away as prizes. I know that canyoneering books have been discussed a bit on Bogley, but I don't want to sift through all of it.

What are the best canyoneering books about canyons, techniques, yadda, yadda?

I found Tom's book rather quickly and several others.

Zion Canyoneering by Tom Jones: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097...SIN=0978961404

A list of others that are rated high on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tom's is obviously high up there.

Kelsey's books are popular, but I don't really like to endorse the guy all that much...

Steve Allen's books are decent, but maybe a bit dated, considering the technical canyon information is more easily accessible other places now...

Todd Martin's book on the Grand Canyon is going to press this week. Should be available in the next month? That one will make many people happy.

Blog Entries
    Dave Blacks - Intro to Canyoneering. It's a good basic canyoneering guide.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Dave Blacks - Intro to Canyoneering. It's a good basic canyoneering guide.
    This book is rated at the top according to Amazon users.

Are you looking for a "How To" book? or a where to go do it at book?

And if a where to go do it book what areas are you interested in covering? AZ, UT, Zion, Swell?

IMHO - There really is not much in the way of "great" canyoneering books, they all have some serious draw-backs and limitations. Kelsey's books are by far the most popular. If you want Zion only than Tom's book is the way to go.

If you are looking for prises to give canyoneers I'd look at other options.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    I held my tongue for 5 hours... pretty good, eh?

The BEST canyoning book I have seen in English is the Eldorado Ticino book: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/shop/...cat=108&page=1 but this will appeal to not so many, and is probably not what you meant.

There are several canyoneering guidebooks. I think my Zion book holds up pretty well. Todd's Arizona book is excellent, and has a longer section on natural anchors. His new Grand Canyon guidebook is going to press, and will be TOTALLY AWESOME - seriously, it sets a new standard. And I understand it will have an extensive section on natural anchors.

Mike Dallin's Ouray Canyoneering Book is quite nice. Lots of nice additional material in there, fun little book.

Dave Black's technique book is interesting - wish I could see the whole thing. The editors found the book he submitted too big, so they cut the stuff they didn't understand so well. In other words, they left in a bunch of climbing stuff (that I find not so useful) and cut most of the canyoneering-specific stuff. Darn Climbers!! So while I'm a big fan of Dave, I find the book uneven and odd. I would put quite different stuff in a book (like the stuff the Falcon editors cut).

Kelsey's books are... well, quirky. He is an odd fellow. For me it is very simple - he is a proud anti-semite http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0901kelsey/index.htm so I do not consider his books in the running (though your interpretation may be different).

Steve Allen's books, especially the Escalante one, are AWESOME, but are not really about technical canyoneering.

The Van Tilburg book is a mess. Really bad. Not sure it is even worth the $ 0.74 (plus shipping) you can pick it up for. Read my review on Amazon if you want some details - I went into more detail with the actual author... to no avail. "Carry a climber's rack so you can exit the canyon at any point". WTF? Nuff said?

John Annerino's book is pretty good, but it is about canyon hiking.

Darren Jeffrey and Travis McDaniel's Anchors book is poorly edited and very uneven. About half the book seems to be a pro-bolt diatribe. I am not sure it would hold much value for people.

I haven't seen Rich Carlson's book, though I paid for a copy some 10 years ago. I think he has something out. Parts I have seen were quite good but...

So, in other words, not so much? Not much in the way of canyoneering books, in English. There are quite a few nice books in French, Spanish, German, Italian, etc... And then there is the Guide to Canyons near Sydney...

Oh, and of course, I have quite a few books out... in my HEAD. Not making much progress on em... I believe the market opportunity has yet to be filled.

Tom

Technical Side:
    Kelsey's books are by far the best once you understand his abbreviations and lingo and style. Kelsey's books, because of his openness, also contain the most canyons in them and the most bang for your buck.

Political Side:
    Kelsey's books, as Tom mentioned, also bring out the strongest feelings in canyoneers. If he is truly an anti-semite, of course that is stupid (I'm willing to give people a little slack but his quoted words are very strong and so he doesn't rank high in my mind). I completely agree with Kelsey when it comes to making canyons known to everyone, and not to an elite few. I also think everyone has the right to keep their own 'first-descent' canyons private if that's what they want. If buying a book from an anti-semite concerns a person, they ought to research where all their money is going. You've supported a lot worse people than Kelsey with the purchases of your last month. That doesn't make it right, but it is the world we live in.