Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beginner's guide to canyonlands

beginner's guide to canyonlands

We are taking the family to moab next weekend and I want to give them a taste of canyonlands. What would you suggest seeing? The kids are under 5 years old. Hikes, drives?

Muchas grassy ass

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Canyonlands in July with children less than 5? Sounds like a terrible idea to me. Unless you hate your family, I would suggest somewhere else.

If you want to show them the canyon country in July, take them to somewhere like Escalante and show them Calf Creek Falls or some of the other watery stuff (perhaps even Sulphur Creek and for sure the Fremont River Falls in Capitol Reef). Maybe even Bryce Canyon. It will be much more pleasant in those places than Canyonlands and much more enjoyable.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Mesa arch. Long drop offs at end so pay close attention

Drives. Davis and lavender canyons

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Canyonlands in July with children less than 5? Sounds like a terrible idea to me. Unless you hate your family, I would suggest somewhere else.

If you want to show them the canyon country in July, take them to somewhere like Escalante and show them Calf Creek Falls or some of the other watery stuff (perhaps even Sulphur Creek and for sure the Fremont River Falls in Capitol Reef). Maybe even Bryce Canyon. It will be much more pleasant in those places than Canyonlands and much more enjoyable.
    Yeah, I hear ya, but we're in Moab that weekend and I thought I'd give Canyonlands a try. I'd like to try some nice scenic drives and maybe hop out of the vehicle for maybe 20-30 minutes for a quick view.

Of course we'll do the Arches thing and probably Dead Horse Point overlook too, probably even take them up to the "super secret locals only" swimming hole in Moab too.

Yeah, I hear ya, but we're in Moab that weekend
    If you are already in Moab and have to stick to that area, the following are pretty good in summer:

Mill Creek (swim holes)
    Negro Bill Canyon (swim holes)
    La Sal Loop
    Professor Creek (waterfalls)
    Lower Courthouse Wash isn't so bad either and neither is Spring Creek as both have nice little pools and waterfalls.

Rafting is great in July (you can rent rafts in Moab), but you may not want to take the little ones.

Canyonlands NP itself is really hot then (maybe try early morning), but the above are close to Moab and are pretty nice in summer.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Cool, thanks. I assume one of these is the waterfall visible to the East from the reservoir on the south of Moab? Otherwise I'm not sure where Professor Creek or Lower Courthouse Wash are.

Thanks a bunch.

Love the La Sal mtns.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Cool, thanks. I assume one of these is the waterfall visible to the East from the reservoir on the south of Moab? Otherwise I'm not sure where Professor Creek or Lower Courthouse Wash are.

Thanks a bunch.
    Yeah that is Faux Falls.

Professor Creek is up the Colorado river about 7miles or so from the turn-off. Check ajtoadtrips.com for beta on that or check Scott's summitpost page as he as beta there.

Lower Courthouse is most popularly accessed inside Arches. It's right before the Petrified Sandunes viewpoint and it's a small creek which flows to the Colorado. That would offer some relief from the scorching sun.

FWIW, Don't forget to head up in the La Sals. You don't have to doing any hiking but a 45min drive from town can get you into a lot colder temps and great views down below.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Professor Creek with 5 year olds in July? I don't think so......

If I was heading to Moab with a 5 y/o next week here is what I'd look into...

Mill Creek Swimming Hole
    http://climb-utah.com/Moab/mill.htm

Faux Falls
    http://climb-utah.com/Moab/faux.htm

Moab Wind Caves
    http://climb-utah.com/Moab/windcave.htm

I'd would also consider booking a raft trip down the daily. If you check around you can usually find one for $35 a person which is nice because you don't have to deal with any equipment, boats, shuttles and lunch is included. If you want find someone that has duckies and you can even paddle your own boat.

Lots of roadside rock art...

Tusher Tunnel
    http://climb-utah.com/Moab/tusher.htm

and

Dellenbaugh Tunnel
    http://climb-utah.com/Moab/dellenbaugh.htm

both work great for easy 4 wheeling inside the truck with the AC on and then get out and walk around for a few minutes and see something niffty.

Enjoy.... Moab is OK in July, you just have to pick your adventures a little more carefully.

FYI: Canyonlands is a HUGE place when you include all four units (Needles, Island in the Sky, Maze and Horseshoe Canyon)... Best to narrow your exploring to one or maybe two areas each trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FYI: Canyonlands is a HUGE place when you include all four units (Needles, Island in the Sky, Maze and Horseshoe Canyon)... Best to narrow your exploring to one or maybe two areas each trip.

I'd like to check out Island in the Sky but I'm embarrassed to say I know nothing of the trail, I've only seen the arch a billion times (give or take a million). How's the hike to the famous lookout?

Also with the La Sals, I've driven that loop @ 15 years ago, is that basically what you guys are talking about or is there a specific scenic drive up there that you like?

Thanks again.

Love the Needles district

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchghost View Post
    Love the Needles district
    I would love to check out the needles. What would be a good first timers intro sight to see in the needles district, or can It all be seen easily in a few hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I would love to check out the needles. What would be a good first timers intro sight to see in the needles district, or can It all be seen easily in a few hours?
    Well, to be honest the Needles District is extremely isolated and I would consider it almost risky to venture in there during the summer months without good knowledge of the area. And unfortunately the best access to the needles is exclusive to the small yet powerful 4x4s that can make it over Elephant Hill (seriously not to be understimated). So now that I think about it the needles may not be your best choice, at least at this time of year. But if you really do find yourselves with nothing to do it's about an hour-ish to the Needles overlook, and a little over an hour to Newspaper Rock (a fantastic pictograph panel).

Well, to be honest the Needles District is extremely isolated and I would consider it almost risky to venture in there during the summer months without good knowledge of the area. And unfortunately the best access to the needles is exclusive to the small yet powerful 4x4s that can make it over Elephant Hill (seriously not to be understimated). So now that I think about it the needles may not be your best choice, at least at this time of year. But if you really do find yourselves with nothing to do it's about an hour-ish to the Needles overlook, and a little over an hour to Newspaper Rock (a fantastic pictograph panel).
    Thanks for the warning! Looks like we won't be making it out to the Needles this time around, maybe just Island in the Sky. thanks again.

If you are driving a 4wd with AIR CONDITIONING. A nice family drive is to head out the Potash road and then up Shafer trail to the Island in the Sky area, very scenic short drive. This will take you right under Dead Horse Point and you can also see where Thelma and Louise drove off the edge. Then come back down Long Canyon and back to town.

Everyone should make that loop once.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    If you are driving a 4wd with AIR CONDITIONING. A nice family drive is to head out the Potash road and then up Shafer trail to the Island in the Sky area, very scenic short drive. This will take you right under Dead Horse Point and you can also see where Thelma and Louise drove off the edge. Then come back down Long Canyon and back to town.

Everyone should make that loop once.

Mark
    Dang, we ran out of time for this, thanks for the suggestion for next time though.

and a little over an hour to Newspaper Rock (a fantastic pictograph panel).
    If you visit Newspaper Rock you should also make a stop at Shay Canyon. It is probably the best, easy access, petroglyph panel that I know of and its next door to Newspaper Rock (which are petroglyphs and not pictographs).

Shay Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Moab/shay.htm

The panel is about 1/4 mile long and is extremely impressive. Pictures don't really do it justice.

Drive and hike.

Island in the Sky:
    Make a early bird night-in-the-morning-tour, 05am at TH Mesa Arch, walk to the arch enjoy /w the family the sunset.
    Later heading the park road south to the various viewpoints /overlooks, Buck Cyn Overlook has a nice picknick area.
    Granaries and ruins are lokated at Aztec Butte.
    Heading west to Upheval Dom, enjoy the overlook -Syncline Valley Loop isn't for kids in the summer (IMO).
    You can make a lunch or BBQ at Upheval Dome picknick area.
    Fale Kive is maybe to strenuous -steep way down at the rim.
    Campgrounds are Willow Flat the only one in the park, Horsethief and Lone Mesa.

Needles:
    Is remote from any urbanity. You can find a lot of beautiful trails but it's hard to hike in the summer heat.
    Iam back a home from Utah since one week. We hiked to Angel Arch from Squaw Flat and the lovely sun gave us 104