Thread: Northern Utah Rappelling help!!!

Northern Utah Rappelling help!!!

I am supposed to be taking a group of 16-18 year old scouts out rappelling next week. We have been practicing up AF canyon and have done raps as high as 80 feet. Well, here is my quandry, they want to do something MUCH more exciting, but due to where the kids are going after our morning activity, we need to be somewhere between Northern Utah County and Fairview! I can find lots of places to rappel, but nothing that seems dramatic, or taller than what we have been doing. Does anyone know something in the 100 foot range (it can be taller) or something very dramatic that will get the boys a charge? Thanks so much!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rock canyon has lots of places to rappel

Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post
    Rock canyon has lots of places to rappel
    Any specific info on what are good routes, length, WOW factor etc.? I have spoken with a couple people who have gone there, but the Raps they have gone on are shorter in the 50 foot range. It would work great if there are some longer ones.

Not quite the height your looking for but there is an arch at the Red Ledges picnic area up Diamond Fork canyon that is fun to rappel. Some sport climbing routes and the 5th water hot springs are an added bonus...
    Or if your up to it, and can limit the group size to 3 or 4 at a time, you could look at Shane's site for a description of the Great White Icicle descended canyoneer style....

Sent from my Google Android SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Don's right. There are some really fun rappels up at Red Ledges, and I think there are even some places where you can set up some longer ones, and the approach wouldn't be too bad.
    --Cliff

Well if you have ascending gear you could always do pink lime pits... some nice free rappels I think about 110 feet and you can have multiple boys go down at the same time :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Not quite the height your looking for but there is an arch at the Red Ledges picnic area up Diamond Fork canyon that is fun to rappel. Some sport climbing routes and the 5th water hot springs are an added bonus...
    Or if your up to it, and can limit the group size to 3 or 4 at a time, you could look at Shane's site for a description of the Great White Icicle descended canyoneer style....

Sent from my Google Android SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the Red Ledges info. Do you have any simple directions on how to get there? Any idea how long the rappels are?

Quote Originally Posted by desotodave View Post
    Thanks for the Red Ledges info. Do you have any simple directions on how to get there? Any idea how long the rappels are?
    Just go up Diamond Fork Canyon from Spanish Fork Canyon. It will be on the left. You can't miss it. I've been there twice, only been rappelling there once. I think there could be a couple places you could rappel more than 100 feet.
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    Just go up Diamond Fork Canyon from Spanish Fork Canyon. It will be on the left. You can't miss it. I've been there twice, only been rappelling there once. I think there could be a couple places you could rappel more than 100 feet.

Once you get to the parking lot, there are two standard rappels on the left. I usually approach them from the back side. Seems to be a little safer than climbing from the front. There is a lower rap with an overhang that has a nasty start (hey! a little like canyoneering) and just above there, 30 or 40 feet up on the same cliff band, is a longer an more stright forward rap. Both are bolted. From the parking lot you will see an arch to the right that looks like a flying buttress. Immediately to the right of that is a long rap that is free hanging for the last half. You climb to the top from the left of the arch. Last time I was there there was a pretty well-worn trail. Finally from the parkin lot, if you hike straight up the draw, on the cliffs on the right looking up, you will see and old Aztec Sun carved in to the rock. There is an easy rap from a tree above that for beginners. If you continue climbing to the top, that is where we practice our partner techniques, meat anchors, sandbags.... etc.

Yah, I have been there a time or two. You may want to get there early. It can get crowded. Have fun, be safe.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Once you get to the parking lot, there are two standard rappels on the left. I usually approach them from the back side. Seems to be a little safer than climbing from the front. There is a lower rap with an overhang that has a nasty start (hey! a little like canyoneering) and just above there, 30 or 40 feet up on the same cliff band, is a longer an more stright forward rap. Both are bolted. From the parking lot you will see an arch to the right that looks like a flying buttress. Immediately to the right of that is a long rap that is free hanging for the last half. You climb to the top from the left of the arch. Last time I was there there was a pretty well-worn trail. Finally from the parkin lot, if you hike straight up the draw, on the cliffs on the right looking up, you will see and old Aztec Sun carved in to the rock. There is an easy rap from a tree above that for beginners. If you continue climbing to the top, that is where we practice our partner techniques, meat anchors, sandbags.... etc.

Yah, I have been there a time or two. You may want to get there early. It can get crowded. Have fun, be safe.
    Thanks so much for the details. We are there in the morning.

Correction on the above description. The big rap is to the LEFT of the arch and the Trail to the top of the rap is to the RIGHT of the arch. Sorry I was picturing it from above. Looking up at the rap or looking at it from the parking lot, the rap is to the left of the arch and the trail is to the right. Doh.... Sorry for the lousy description.
    Life is Good

Thanks everyone, we had a great time. the rain the night before had been terrific, and caused some real challenges, many of the paths were totally washed out, but it was a great time.

Which spots did you rap from?
    Life is Good

We started over the Sunstone, it was real wet and slick from the rain. We then went to the top of the Arch, and did a few off of there.

The rap by the arch is a fun one and one where most boys get quite stone faced then feel pretty cool afterwards. Glad you had a good time.
    Life is Good