Thread: any problem doing keyhole and pine creek the same day

any problem doing keyhole and pine creek the same day

I have permits to do keyhole and pine creek the same day. Heard of a few people doing it that way, just wondering if anybody has done the same if there are any issues besides spotting cars

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

No. Keyhole is short and quick warm-up for an afternoon Pine Creek.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

No problem at all. Great combo platter.

I've done the short version of Keyhole in 14 minutes, and, the long version in 24, so, it doesn't really add much time to my descent of Pine Creek...ha ha.

Great warm up. Sometimes tough to get parking for Pine Creek later in the day. Is funny to get in the car in your still wet wetsuit, drive down, get out, and hike down to Pine Creek.

Tip: have large trash bags to line car seats during shuttle. Then later dump all wet gear in said trash bags. Keeps the car clean and the smell down.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Totally do able, but I normally do Pine Creek first, since parking gets hairy later in the day.

I cant compete with Brian's times, but we did car to car at Key Hole in about an hour.

MMMMMmmmmm..... Combo Platter!

Gotta get my Pine Creek time to under an hour...1:01 is my fastest...dang it. Pretty routine at 1:30.

Can't recall, but, anyone remember the pavement-to-pavement fast time? Ryan and Jared busted it out pretty fast, I dimly remember...

Maybe this season...? Easier when its drier...

Ahh...from Jared's website:

November 23, 2007
    Long-time friend, climber extraordinaire, and extremely talented canyoneer Ryan McDermott and I were in Zion for another weekend of adventure. When we arrived we had a spare hour so we thought we’d try to set a record on Pine Creek. We know it fairly well after having done is a dozen times or so. With a 60m rope, and a single 100′ line we took off from the small parking lot east of the Tunnel in high-speed mode. We did 2 rappels in the main slot canyon and then the final long rappel at the end. We touched down on the final rappel in 14 minutes 50 seconds. We then ran out quite expeditiously to the normal exit from Pine Creek, hitting the road at 30 minutes and 50 seconds. We were quite happy about this but concluded that through perfecting the rope work and getting the run out the drainage a bit more dialed we could get down to 25 minutes pavement to pavement. In this sport I always take am moment at the end to be grateful for not breaking anything. Good times!

Couple weeks ago he busted out the West Slabs on Olympus...car to car...in 1:01. Can hardly wrap my mind around that...

Takes good VO2 max. Old guys don't have that.

We rarely do wither one alone anymore. I can only think of two trips through where we only did Keyhole: One, thunderstorms were building for the afternoon, so we thought it wise to skip Pine Creek and two, this year when flow was at it's peak...didn't want to test out our Class C skills for the first time in there

I usually pack two packs for the combo. The first has almost nothing besides the bear necessities: harness (my harness has on it all the required biners, prusiks,etc.), helmet, wetsuit, a 60 ft. rope, some webbing, a snack and a bit of water. The second has the extra gear: more webbing, additional ascending gear, food, water, and the required ropes. Once we get back to the car, we can drop the one pack, keep our harnesses and helmets on, cruise over, and grab the other pack. We usually start Keyhole early, thus after an hour and a half jaunt through, we hit Pine Creek before parking even becomes an issue.

Enjoy the combo!!!

Cars are the only real issue. We did it last fall with one car parked at the pinecreek exit and hitchhiked up. After keyhole we walked most of the way to pinecreek trying to hitchhike but didn't get picked up until the last bend in the road before pinecreek.

Sounds like we will continue on as planned. Will try and hit keyhole early and hopefully get some parking

i noticed that if you have to do a hitch and hike the best is to do Pine Creek first and get picked up on the switch backs. This way you are not trying to get a ride all stinky. Then grab your car and head up to do key hole. The other advantage of Pine Creek first is that if the afternoon storms build up dropping keyhole is better than dropping Pine Creek in my opinion. Plus Pine Creek tends to get really jammed up the later in the morning it gets. Shoot for around 8am to 9am for Pine Creek it shoudn't be to jammed up that early.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru View Post
    i noticed that if you have to do a hitch and hike the best is to do Pine Creek first and get picked up on the switch backs. This way you are not trying to get a ride all stinky. Then grab your car and head up to do key hole. The other advantage of Pine Creek first is that if the afternoon storms build up dropping keyhole is better than dropping Pine Creek in my opinion. Plus Pine Creek tends to get really jammed up the later in the morning it gets. Shoot for around 8am to 9am for Pine Creek it shoudn't be to jammed up that early.
    not a bad idea. prob will do pine creek first.