Thread: The Black Hole 29 June 2011

The Black Hole 29 June 2011

Gavin and I headed down to the Black Hole yesterday. Gavin had a bad knee and I was rocking a screwed-up ankle, so we were both wearing braces and didn't want to do anything too intense. Plus, we wanted to check this place out, with all the trip reports on here, it's looked like an awesome canyon.

The canyon did not disappoint. We dropped into a swim a little after the first obstacle that was amazingly disgusting, full of rotting wood. It totally smelled like cow manure. However, those are some of the best parts of canyoneering! Those who bypass that swim are definitely missing out.

The actual Black Hole section was awesome. We wore wetsuits, which made the overall experience more enjoyable, but the canyon could probably be accomplished without them, especially on a day like yesterday (It was HOT!).

Gavin and I both added this to our list of favorite canyons and we'll probably be going back later this summer. A great day.

Don't judge Gavin for his trecking poles. They were to keep more pressure off of his knee.

I think the look on my face in this picture accurately describes how I feel about canyoneering.

The light was awesome. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at taking pictures.

I'll have everyone know that it took us a while to get the timing right on this picture. And don't worry, we checked the depth before we started jumping.

--Cliff

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Gavin and I both added this to our list of favorite canyons and we'll probably be going back later this summer. A great day.
    If the Black Hole is not somewhere on your favorite canyon list something is seriously wrong with you.

That looks like a lot of fun. I would really like to do this.

Did the Black Hole on Saturday and it was in prime condition. The hike in and out was absolutely hot, but the water felt so good with wetsuits on. I don't know if I agree in doing it without the wetsuits, I think it made the water just comfortable enough. Glad you had a great time. I am guessing that was your car I saw parked at the entrance to the Hole hike as I was returning from North Wash on the 29th.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonbug View Post
    Did the Black Hole on Saturday and it was in prime condition. The hike in and out was absolutely hot, but the water felt so good with wetsuits on. I don't know if I agree in doing it without the wetsuits, I think it made the water just comfortable enough. Glad you had a great time. I am guessing that was your car I saw parked at the entrance to the Hole hike as I was returning from North Wash on the 29th.
    If it was a dark blue Chevy Metro, then yes, it was Gavin's car. It may be the best canyoneering vehicle ever built.
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    If it was a dark blue Chevy Metro, then yes, it was Gavin's car. It may be the best canyoneering vehicle ever built.
    YEP! Chevy Metro it was! No vehicle at the exit point for a shuttle so you guys must have hiked the road back. I was actually a bit surprised to see the Metro, don't see too many Canyoneers with cars that small. I figured it was probably a passerby that saw the Kiosk and thought they would go on a little hike and see what all the hype was about.
    Jared Hillhouse
    N.W.O. on Facebook

Thanks for the pics...water was still pretty dang cold? might head down there but don't have a wetsuit...

That looks like so much fun. Do you like it better than other "wet hikes/canyons" such as the Subway in Zion? I guess its quite a different experience all together, but just curious.
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

Quote Originally Posted by dmMatrix View Post
    That looks like so much fun. Do you like it better than other "wet hikes/canyons" such as the Subway in Zion? I guess its quite a different experience all together, but just curious.
    There was a lot more swimming than in the Subway, plus there weren't a gajillion people there! I thought it was really cool, though you're right. It is a very different experience from the Subway altogether.
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    There was a lot more swimming than in the Subway, plus there weren't a gajillion people there! I thought it was really cool, though you're right. It is a very different experience from the Subway altogether.
    Nice, I will have to look into that one, That looks awesome. Great TR. Thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dmMatrix View Post
    I would call The Subway a wet canyon.... I'd call the Black Hole a swimming canyon.... big difference.... But I really like them both, particularly when you add Das Boot to the start of Subway..

I put this video together hoping to give folks a good idea of what the Black Hole is really like. I know of nothing else to compare the Black Hole to.

I, in my somewhat limited experience, agree with Shane. I had never seen anything like it.
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonbug View Post
    YEP! Chevy Metro it was! No vehicle at the exit point for a shuttle so you guys must have hiked the road back. I was actually a bit surprised to see the Metro, don't see too many Canyoneers with cars that small. I figured it was probably a passerby that saw the Kiosk and thought they would go on a little hike and see what all the hype was about.
    That Metro has been everywhere. Had it pretty much since I started canyoneering like 5 years ago. The most recent awesome Metro conquest was getting it to the head of quandary canyon... It was awesome!!
    Good Trip report Cliff. I love how were both gimpy. Also Cliff you forgot to post this picture.

You don't want to make Cliff Angry...

pic didn't post, hopefully this one does

Hulk Smash!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How were the bugs down there?

Weather was weird when we were down there. Stormy and windy all night and then clear the next day. So I think the bugs got blown out. Either way there were no problems for us
    - Gavin

Sweet Video, That seems pretty fun.

The bugs right now are pretty menacing in various areas. When I did the Black Hole June 25th, the bugs were prevalent on the rim, but not much of a problem. They were non-existent once down in the canyon. I was in North Wash Monday evening through Wednesday morning and I was getting eatin alive there within 30 seconds of stepping out of the car. It was pretty brutal. They simmered down as usual once the sun went down, but when the sun came back out they were terrible.
    Jared Hillhouse
    N.W.O. on Facebook