Thread: COLORAO: BackPacking Away from People

COLORAO: BackPacking Away from People

New Mexico is bone dry (and on fire) this year, so I need to find a an empty location to backpack and get some place that doesn't look like an explosion at REI. I don't know Colorado that well (one trip in 2000). Don't much care about 14ers since they attract people.

Any semi specific ideas welcomed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've heard good things about the San Juan Range. But I've never been. Not sure if it attracts the masses or not. Might be worth looking into. I'll be curious to see what others say, too. I'd like to do some trips in CO as well.

Last year I did a trip in the weminuche. We hiked along the city reservoir trail and only saw 2 other people the entire week we were out there. Backpacker.com has a lot of people in the Colorado area that could give you some good suggestions as well as some information on the current conditions. Actually my avatar pic was taken from city reservoir.

X2 on the Weminuche wilderness. I have had success staying away from others during the week in any number of areas in the Aspen area, Maroon Bells/Snowmass wilderness is huge, with great opportunity to get lost. But the Weminuche is closer for you.

flat tops wilderness. high alpine hiking and lots of lakes with fish in them. trails are good and there are no 14er's. probably won't see anybody. big caves in the area too.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I'll second the flat tops ...

Caves are or were all closed do to the white nose in the bats !

was in teh holy cross wilderness once and never saw a soul. only 3 or 4 other cars at the TH as well. i remember being very surprised. went in to lake charles and it was fantastic, plenty of options for dayhikes from a base camp for 3 or so days if i remember correctly.
    signature

Speaking of the Flat Tops (I live by them), if your trip is soon be aware that they are still buried in snow. Snow level is currently 9500-10000 feet, at least in the northern half. It's still doable, but be prepared for snow.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.