Thread: "Oh! I just don't know what to wear!"

"Oh! I just don't know what to wear!"

Hey, I hear that a lot, the title that is. My wife and I like to camp but we are new to this Zion climate. She's been telling me about nylon-ish shirts and shorts that 'wick away' the moisture, etc. She very concerned that we will not be properly 'suited' for the low level canyoneering and hiking we plan to undertake soon in Zion.

For shoes, I'm set on getting a pair of 5-10 canyoneers.

Would someone help me out with the rest of the wardrobe?

Best socks, shirt, shorts (I like pockets), underwear , gloves, whatever... ? Oh, yeah, and those hiking poles. We plan on getting wet in the narrows one day for sure.

I was hoping to collect all this in St George. Could someone recommend an outlet? I would imagine there might be a Dick's or Sports Authority, but maybe there is someplace better for this stuff?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

[schmooze alert] I'm told the folks out Zion-way are as warm as the climate and even more helpful!

petek

edit: Also, if this subject has been thoroughly covered elsewhere please just point with a thread link or the like. thanks again.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There are a couple of places in Springdale you can rent canyoneering shoes, so unless you just want your own pair I'd advise renting. I think the flow rate in the Virgin is still kind of high, so the hike up to the narrows may be more difficult than normal. It's best around 60-70 cfs (at least for me) and when I was there this spring it was around 8000cfs - good for kayaking but not for hiking. It's down around 120cfs now according to the USGS site.

I like nylon shorts and shirts for the climate, and long sleeved shirts are what I get - they can always be rolled up. Also a wide brimmed hat.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Your wife is right!

Check out Zion Adventure Company in Springdale. They have a very informative website. Also, The Desert Rat on Bluff in Saint George has a great selection of gear with wonderful service. Bo is awesome!

I've left room for others to chime in.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Yeah check out Bo's place in saint george called the Desert Rat, he's got everything. One thing you might want to get also are some compression underwear. There can be some serious chafing issues being wet and walking miles and miles. :)
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Thank You!!!
    You've already made our visit more successful!

Petek

What are you planning on doing in Zion? Narrows from the bottom, from the top? Subway? Technical canyons? Dry hikes? In and out of water? A little more info will help us give you more precise advice. Although, as others said, you can probably ask all the questions to Bo at the Desert Rat and he can give you good suggestions.
    Life is Good

Scott,
    This first time out is going to be typical tourist stuff; angel's landing, narrows bottom-up, a Zion Adventure half-day excursion one afternoon and travel out for some Bryce trail action.
    Kanarra creek is a strong possibility hopefully. Then some little in-and-out 2-3 hours local hikes.
    Hope that helps. Thanks for asking.

Pete

Well here you go. My opinion, probably worth exactly what you have paid for it.

Shoes: For the Narrows or other in-and-out-of-water canyons the 5.10s are the best. Unless you are going to get into canyoneering, you would probably be best served by renting for this trip until you are sure. I would go to ZAC in Springdale and try them on. Be sure to take whatever socks you are going to wear with you so that you can see how they feel. You may want to try the neoprene booties as some like this option. I wear thick wool socks as they are more comfortable than neo booties. Also, if the boot feels too tight during the hike, just take the insole out and put them in your pack. Since you asked, the socks I use are the Teko wool sock. Also, you can do just fine going up the narrows with sturdy and synthetic tennis shoes or boots. NO LEATHER. You will ruin them. As for the dry hikes, just use your regular hiking boot/sock set up.

Clothes: Your wife has it right except not just nylon. I use synthetic blends or any wicking material whatever it is made of so long as there is no cotton or wool (except wool socks). I usually wear long sleeve white t-shirts from places like Walmart. Cheep is good since I shred clothes quickly in canyons. Also, too much name brand stuff, that is names other than Imlay Canyon Gear, will tell people you are a noob. We true canyoneers tend to look like hobos. For hats, I wear a wide brim hat or a desert hat with the cloth panel that covers your neck. I do wear synthetic shorts because my white legs adequately reflect the sunlight, that is until they burn. Compression shorts are good for wet canyons as stated above and you wouldn't need gloves for any canyon on your list at least in my opinion.

Hiking poles: I use Leki poles because if I snap them off in the Narrows they have a life time guarantee. The wood walking sticks that you can rent seem big and heavy to me but I have never used them. Frankly, of all the times I have been in the narrows I think I have used sticks twice. They are nice but you'd be surprised how fast you get used to the river if you just blast ahead. I call it getting your river legs. Yes, you may fall a time or two but hey, you are in a river. What are you afraid of!

As for Angel's Landing, go real early or late in the day. Avoid the mid day sun. I will say that I have hiked up that trail a couple of time in the dark and caught the sunrise on top. Very cool experience. The sunset would also be great I would imagine. Be safe and have fun. Oh, and if you are having any kind of marital trouble, avoid Angel's Landing. Too much temptation for an angry wife I would imagine particularly if you are insured. (Yes, I am kidding)
    Life is Good