Thread: Etiquette at Morning Glory Arch, Moab

Etiquette at Morning Glory Arch, Moab

A few days ago I was below the arch when a group on top of the arch hucked their rope bag down. I'm not sure how much rope was in the bag, but it hit the ground hard! The bag came within about five feet of hitting a tourist walking around under the arch. Scared the hell out of him! This could have ended very badly - not only injurious to the tourist but injurious to our reputation and the privilege we all enjoy at Morning Glory Arch.

To be fair, the leader (a Venture Scout leader from SLC) up top did call out "Rope!" before tossing the bag. Barely, though. There wasn't much more than a second from his callout till the time I saw the bag flying off the top. I immediately knew what to expect, of course, but please realize that most folks at the bottom of the arch don't know what "Rope!" means. Heck, this time of the year most of the folks there don't even speak English.

Canyoneering activity around Moab has exploded the past couple years and land managers are definitely concerned. This is a critical time for us right now. Please be responsible and courteous, especially at heavily-visited tourist areas like Morning Glory Arch. This arch is the longest in the western hemisphere that is still legal to be on top of - Don't screw it up! While I've never met any tourist at the bottom of the arch that's been disgruntled by rappellers (in fact, most are thrilled to watch you come down), you should always assume that you are intruding on their experience. If you act this way and show folks respect you probably won't piss anyone off.

So, at Morning Glory Arch - even if you're rappelling from the adjacent wall by the arch - please do not throw anything down blindly, even with a callout. The best thing to do at this rappel is to lower the rope end to the ground. It's 100 feet exactly, FYI. Either measure the length by using your ape index or have a partner get a visual from the bouldery ledge on the downcanyon side of the arch. There's no need to throw anything since both rappel locations are vertical to overhanging and clean, so your rope will not hang up on anything. Simply lower your rope end and you'll avoid beaning anyone and all will be well.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I approve of this thread!

Ditto that. Great head's up. Thanks!

I was there in the middle of May and someone had rigged webbing from the tree to the far side of the arch. They left the webbing behind and it it was hanging about 30 ft. down between the arch and the wall. Oh and it was purple. I cleaned it up and took it with me but it sure had to look nice from down below. Not a very good idea. IMO if going off the arch take everything with you.

Mark

I was there with a group of 13 scouts last Wednesday. It is a great hike and rappel to do, it would really be a shame to have it closed down because someone below was hit by something. We took extra care to only have one boy anywhere near the edge (and I mean 20 feet at that) so as to not only avoid any danger to the boys, but so they would not accidentally knock any rocks off. It was amazing the number of hikers from down below that were taking pictures and were just astounded that somebody was appearing right in the middle of the arch. (by clarification we rappelled down the face, we did not rappel off the arch).

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    bump - just for grins...

I remembered this when I asked my questions. I'll make sure to do this.
    --Cliff