Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zion Bogley Fest Subway

Zion Bogley Fest Subway

With only 6 days to spare before my long-awaited Bogley Fest trip the NPS finally deemed Subway safe enough for anyone other than "Canyon Man". I had lucked out getting a full 12 person permit and the final group was:

Me (ststephen)
    My wife, Robin
    Son, Aaron
    Chere (blueeyes)
    Don (don)
    Erik (erik)
    Alison (abirken)
    Nick (ibenick)
    Dave (pubalz)
    Dave's daughter, Sam
    My friends from Santa Cruz: Jon and his son Jack

We had some logistical difficulties getting everyone to the Wildcat TH and then some more trouble getting the whole party down the trail but...we did finally succeed in regrouping near the slick rock bowl overlooking Russell Gulch and soon we were all down in the Left Fork itself.

Found this little guy huddled on the ground as we descended into Russell Gulch. Anyone know what it is?

The water level was a little high, but nothing difficult. Made for some lovely swimming opportunities. There were smiles all around as we played in the pools and just enjoyed the place and each other's company. I have some video of one of the swims I'll have to get uploaded to share as well.

Don treated us all to his new "The Flash" outer-wear:

My friend Jon, doing some bouldering:

Aaron looking very serious:

Dave by Keyhole Falls:

Yours truly:

Alison, Robin and Chere:

We were lucky with the weather, cool a little sunny mid-day and then some shade and light showers as we did the climb out. We even made it back in time for the BBQ at the group site. All in all a very fine day!

It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome! The place looks way different than it did in April!
    --Cliff

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    nice TR Paul, great pictures.

Great pictures. Also it's good to see something that definitively confirms that the sand I ran into in October is gone from the corridor and pools below Keyhole Falls. It looks soooo much better this way!

YEA! What an awesome weekend. I am ready to go back and do it all over again. I just MIGHT! :) Great TR Paul and thank you for hooking up the permits to both Keyhole and Subway.

Nice TR and great pictures - thanks for taking time to post. I tried Subway from the bottom up in mid-May with a bunch of teenagers and got turned back at the mouth of the Subway by the freezing, deep, fast-flowing water . It took us five hours to reach the mouth and four hours to return to the bottom. The river was 10-20 feet across most of the way down as well (compared to a friend who went a couple years back and said it was a trickle). Looking forward to getting back later this summer.

Some of my favorites of The Subway. I can't figure out how to attach these any differently so I apologize for them being so big.

Name:  P6191651..jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  146.3 KB

Name:  P6191573..jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  118.6 KB

Name:  P6191662..jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  P6191600..jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  141.2 KB

Name:  P6191575..jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  157.3 KB

Name:  P6191634..jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  149.1 KB

Name:  P6191649 - Copy..jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  130.7 KB

It has been years since I have been through the Subway. These pictures bring back some great memories. GREAT TR.
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

Ditto on the great pictures! Do you have any pix from the BBQ or other adventures?

Don scares me!!!!

Name:  5878843941_ae70b81&#101.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  224.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Ditto on the great pictures! Do you have any pix from the BBQ or other adventures?
    Yes, I posted a few other random pix in the invite thread. I think Alison has more Keyhole's which might warrant its own TR. I also will post a TR on Birch which we did the day after in a smaller group.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...18-amp-19-2011
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Don scares me!!!!
    We're thinking the whole group should wear something similar next time...

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    HAHAHA!!! This means we all have to get very creative! Hmmm.......thinking, thinking, thinking......

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    I've already been shopping around.

That looks like such a great time, great pics everyone! I'd love to be able to join you guys some.... year!
    Nick, was it difficult to lug a SLR and a tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by jdgibney View Post
    That looks like such a great time, great pics everyone! I'd love to be able to join you guys some.... year!
    Nick, was it difficult to lug a SLR and a tripod?
    Not so much difficult as it was annoying to not take as many pictures as I would have liked. It was also a bit scary to jump into pools with a couple grand in camera gear only protected by a dry bag in my backpack. Next time around I'll definitely bring a point and shoot and probably rig up a dry bag system that will enable me to get the SLR out more often.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    I just posted my full trip report on my blog and here are some of my photos for this group TR. The link to my full TR is http://backcountrypost.com/?p=869
    Awesome picks, Ibenick. Might want some of em for the next Zion Book.

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Awesome picks, Ibenick. Might want some of em for the next Zion Book.

T
    Thanks, Tom! It would be an honor to provide photos, shoot me an email anytime, ibenick at gmail.