Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Choprock information

I agree with Tom. But then, I'd have to be pretty stupid not to.
    --Cliff

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    "Experienced Outdoorspersons" are the most dangerous of people. "Experienced Outdoorspersons" dying in canyons is bad for the sport. Please do not do this. Or have to chop your arm off. We have seen too much of this lately.

Tom
    Why does this sound so familiar? Did we have a discussion on this earlier (serious not sarcastic). I remember only that Tom thought these were the most dangerous people. But I forget why... Tom care to explain (or provide a link if it was discussed thoroughly)?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I emailed the people at this website http://www.excursionsofescalante.com/html/hiking.html if they guided the South Fork of Choprock and they said that they do.

Quote Originally Posted by mcweyen View Post
    I emailed the people at this website http://www.excursionsofescalante.com/html/hiking.html if they guided the South Fork of Choprock and they said that they do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Rick is a very good guide.

OK, you proved me wrong.

Good luck with that.

Tom

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Why does this sound so familiar? Did we have a discussion on this earlier (serious not sarcastic). I remember only that Tom thought these were the most dangerous people. But I forget why... Tom care to explain (or provide a link if it was discussed thoroughly)?
    C'mon Jman.

It is an observation. When people get kilt in a canyon, their friends and families say "such a surprise, because they were experienced outdoors people". And it seems like they make decisions that are obviously foolish to an experienced canyoneer. Experience riding a snowmobile does not translate well into canyoneering.

etc. Yes, it has been discussed before.

Tom

Paying to be guided just seems like it would take some of the fun out and cost more than I'm currently wanting to dump on the trip. I'd rather work up to it... or if anyone fairly experienced here got a group together and wanted to let me in, I'd be extremely stoked. Yes, I know now that is a long shot, but I'm just throwing it out there.

If anyone is interested, here's my blog about some of the adventures I go get myself into... http://mcweyen.blogspot.com

This is by far the best forum I've found on the web for canyoneering so far! Great page!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    C'mon Jman.

It is an observation. When people get kilt in a canyon, their friends and families say "such a surprise, because they were experienced outdoors people". And it seems like they make decisions that are obviously foolish to an experienced canyoneer. Experience riding a snowmobile does not translate well into canyoneering.

etc. Yes, it has been discussed before.

Tom
    Oh that's right... I was thinking way to deeply and overanalyzing it and looking for a different answer. Hehe

Thanks emperor Tom
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Blog Entries
    If anyone is interested, here's my blog about some of the adventures I go get myself into... http://mcweyen.blogspot.com
    On a sidenote - Just reading your blog and saw that you visited loftus hotsprings. What a cool place! Unfortunately, The FS (rumors I hear) destroyed it last month. Too bad, I really liked that hot spring!
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I got word that it was rebuilt. I think it was taken apart after a large section of the overhang fell down. Very cool place indeed! So many amazing placed on this planet!

Paying to be guided just seems like it would take some of the fun out and cost more than I'm currently wanting to dump on the trip. I'd rather work up to it... or if anyone fairly experienced here got a group together and wanted to let me in, I'd be extremely stoked. Yes, I know now that is a long shot, but I'm just throwing it out there.

This is by far the best forum I've found on the web for canyoneering so far! Great page!
    Cost more, that is certain. Less fun-not sure about that. Is this one of those multi-day trips with Excursions of Escalante where they do a base camp and cook for you? That could be a pretty sweet time. You could learn a lot in several days of canyoneering with them and camp in style. Sounds like a pretty good time.

Ken

I've done extensive reading on the canyon and think that I could make it through with the right group. Good timing would help substantially as well. Low water is an important part of what I'm aiming for. Sandthrax is soooooo far beyond what I'd dream of doing. As for temperature based issues, I've read that a 4/3 full with a 2mm shorty in late summer would be good to go for sure. Safety is key, I agree completely.
    It may just be me, but it almost sounds like you started canyoneering just so you could do Choprock. Sure, you could get someone to guide you through, but there are so many great experiences to be had as you work your way up to that level. I hope to do crazy canyons like Choprock and Sandthrax one day, but right now I am having a great time learning to handle wimpy level-3 canyons. Canyoneering is a journey, and an enjoyable one. Personally I wouldn't want to shortcut it. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchghost View Post
    It may just be me, but it almost sounds like you started canyoneering just so you could do Choprock.:
    You're pretty much spot on. If I lived closer or made more and had more vacation days, I'd absolutely thrive on doing more canyons down there!! Choprock has got to be the most amazing canyon I've seen yet. I've dug through photos of many canyons and few if any seem to rival it. Maybe I'm wrong on this. Anyone else want to chime in with their favorites?

I feel the most dangerous time for a canyoneer is right when they start feeling comfortable with it. This is true for driving and flying also. When you start feeling comfortable you typically start to take risks you previously would not have. Don't cut corners and always take the same safety precautions as you did when you were (are) a noobie.

Choprock is a great canyon to strive for. Be ready for full bridges 25 feet off the floor of the canyon. Know how to accomplish sporty downclimbs. I would recommend to bring a water filter to replenish from the springs. For all the work you are rewarded with some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet!

Good luck!

did you mention where you live?

Choprock has got to be the most amazing canyon I've seen yet. I've dug through photos of many canyons and few if any seem to rival it.
    Antelope is the prettiest.

in my humble opinion, choprock gets unusually high marks. is it really good? yes. and for quite a long time. but there are dozens of really good canyons. maybe hundreds. i think some of the choprock hype comes from the timing of the death of the BYU kids who passed in there, and the subsequent release of public beta for the canyon. so it had a reputation. the choprock of today is not the same as it once was. the "grim" section is likely nothing like it was when it got that nickname. probably the fact that it makes a great weekend trip teamed up with neon leads to lots of people doing both canyons too, so it's got a lot going for it. however, i don't think it would be hard to argue that neon, especially from higher up than the lower entries, is every bit as photogenic and beautiful as choprock. i'd have a hard time saying chop is more beautiful. they are the classics of escalante, but i think some would argue there are even prettier ones in escalante. so subjective though.

Just updated the profile. Live in Boise, ID which is around 11hrs from the canyons I explored earlier this year. If there is a group going for some entry level technical canyon, I'd be interested in gaining experience, especially if it's closer than Escalante.

I agree, Neon does look very close to as good as Choprock. There is something more mythical or epic about Choprock though. I really like the idea of "once you've started, there's no going back." While I do need the experience 1st, I agree, Neon just doesn't seem to supply that as it appears to have outs much more frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by zion6566 View Post
    I feel the most dangerous time for a canyoneer is right when they start feeling comfortable with it.
    This x2

Some of my friends refer to it as "The Teenage Years" of your canyoneering skills progression..... You know the drill.... that time I your life where you think you know everything but you really don't know crap.

Just updated the profile. Live in Boise, ID
    If its just youself you can fly cheap into Vegas or SLC (Maybe Grand Junction) and than you could hook up with some local canyoneers.... I have a couple firends that fly in all the time. And by watching airfares and with a little help from my end with airport pick-ups and supplying extra gear it costs them less than our Friday night bar tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    This x2

Some of my friends refer to it as "The Teenage Years" of your canyoneering skills progression..... You know the drill.... that time I your life where you think you know everything but you really don't know crap.
    Experienced outdoorsman = operator error

It's not like pilots who make it to retirement never made an error, it is just that they were able to smooth over the error with appropriate corrective action. To learn from one's errors, those errors have to be survivable. There is truth to the saw that the best way to get out of trouble is to stay out of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    This x2
    If its just youself you can fly cheap into Vegas or SLC (Maybe Grand Junction) and than you could hook up with some local canyoneers.... I have a couple firends that fly in all the time. And by watching airfares and with a little help from my end with airport pick-ups and supplying extra gear it costs them less than our Friday night bar tab.
    I like the sounds of that a lot! Need to get to know some canyoneers and hear about some planned trips.... although SLC Friday night bar tabs are much more expensive than Boise Friday night bar tabs. Ha Damn 3.2