Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BUGS!!!

BUGS!!!

I'm been doing a lot of canyons the past month and one thing they all have in common is LOTS of bugs!

Cedar Mesa - Bugs!
    Robbers Roost - Bugs!
    San Rafael Swell - Bugs
    Moab - Bugs!
    Escalante - Bugs!

The weather this year has really screwed up the bug population. Bugs are really bad where I've never had problems before. Bugs are bad at times of the year I've never had problems before.

So far this year I feel like a giant bug sandwich! As I'm sitting here typing this I'm trying not to scratch at least a dozen bug bites from canyons on Friday and Saturday.

YMMV

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I didn't have any issues with bugs last weekend in the Swell or Moab.....this weekend up near Rangely was another story! They were out in full force!
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Blog Entries
    Subway last week was great except for the Left Fork Trailhead. Same with Pinecreek. No annoyances there!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Spent a night (June 22-23), sans tent, next to the East Fork of the Virgin, just east of Misery and had no problems with bugs. Some biting flies around the next day but the evening and night were great.

Yankee Doodle was brutal yesterday with those Cedar Gnats. Never seen anything like it.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Yankee Doodle was brutal yesterday with those Cedar Gnats. Never seen anything like it.
    Amen, We are done guiding Yankee Doodle for a while. Its like once they find you, they tell their friends. And they have an immunity to bug spray! Birch has some biting flies, but not too bad.
    If you are wondering what my wife and I are doing in my Avatar... we are laughing at all you funny looking Bogleyites!

Quote Originally Posted by tylerhirshfeld View Post
    Amen, We are done guiding Yankee Doodle for a while. Its like once they find you, they tell their friends. And they have an immunity to bug spray! Birch has some biting flies, but not too bad.
    ya their immunity was strong yesterday, the bug spray didn't do anything and I knew it wouldn't. I sprayed some on just to be cool I guess.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Just be glad you don't have these They make a ride to the store a big PIA I'm glad they're into making love instead of biting

I think it was Rock Gremlin who found a solution to the bug problem.

step 1: Buy cheap bug deterring lotion
    step 2: Goop in on very thickly and the bugs get stuck in it and die
    Step 3:
    step 4: Profit?
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    I think it was Rock Gremlin who found a solution to the bug problem.

step 1: Buy cheap bug deterring lotion
    step 2: Goop in on very thickly and the bugs get stuck in it and die
    Step 3:
    step 4: Profit?
    Step 3 would be: scrape it off when you get back to the car and use it as a spread on your sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchghost View Post
    Step 3 would be: scrape it off when you get back to the car and use it as a spread on your sandwich.

That's awesome.
    --Cliff

MMM...Scrumptious. My experience with the gnats this past week though... you dont need a sandwich when you get back to the truck. Save food, eat gnats!
    If you are wondering what my wife and I are doing in my Avatar... we are laughing at all you funny looking Bogleyites!

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchghost View Post
    I am sure it is high in protein and all that but suddenly I realize I am still full from that packet of oatmeal I had for breakfast yesterday morning, so I think I'll pass. Thanks for the offer.

Maybe mayonnaise would work?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Maybe mayonnaise would work?
    Where's the adventure in that?
    --Cliff

Was just in Death Hollow, June 23-27. No bugs at all. Not even when we got to the Escalante.
    nat smale

Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    Was just in Death Hollow, June 23-27. No bugs at all. Not even when we got to the Escalante.
    Did the boulder mail trail, death hollow and escalante river and upper calf creek falls last week. There were some flies at the first campsite when you drop down into death hollow from the bmt, but nothing to worry about Just saw bugs is one patch of escalante where there was a lot of tall grass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just ran the Black Hole today and there were hardly any bugs at all. Granted, it was pretty windy. Green River yesterday, though? Holy crap were there tons and tons and tons of bugs there.
    --Cliff

Since there seems to be an abundance of bugs in most places, what's everyone doing to help ward them off? Any tricks? Definitely investing in a mosquito head net for my trip to the swell this weekend, and will be packing lots of DEET and well covering clothes with gloves.

I've heard some incense (nag champa) help, can anyone c/d? Hoping to find a decent solution for the mornings at camp while making breakfast...