Thread: Utah Off-Roading

Utah Off-Roading

I was wondering where you guys go off-roading here in Utah? More specifically in the SLC area? I have yet to find any good places along the Wasatch Front.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Off roading along the Wasatch front is kinda limited what with most of the trails being closed. The most common areas you are going to find are 5 mile pass (Rattlesnake and Constrictor), Some of the trails in 10 and 12 mile pass (just south of 5 mile pass). Little Moab, American fork Canyon, and then there is a ton of double track into the west desert that is just fun to go explore.

What do you drive and how hard do you want to push it and I can give you some more specific trails etc :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

I have a Grand Cherokee. I want a mixture. From fairly easy to somewhat hard. I don't want to destroy my Jeep... since I just got it two days ago. Haha. Plus, I would love a trail that has some great views... which is why I was looking up in the mountains.

How did you make out with that Grand Cherokee? Any pics?

Luck. Haha. I had a CJ5 as my first car... fell in love with Jeeps then. Had to sell it though. Ever since I've wanted a Jeep again. Finally got one. :)

I'm a huge Grand Cherokee fan Nice and comfy over that 5, huh

Haha. It definitely is way more comfortable. But I do still miss my CJ5.

3" lift. 33" mud-terrain tires. Flowmaster exhaust. The V8. Ugh. So much fun. Haha.

There is something about the older Jeeps for people that owned them. I think that is what keeps us coming back to the Jeep brand.

I know on the 98 and down Grand Cherokee's you can put in 2" spacers all around and fit 31's under them. It gives it a little bit better look. If you're ever hunting for a lift that handles punishment and improves the ride quality over the road... http://claytonoffroad.com/index.php/...c562ef7e8483b6 Well worth it.

Here's my 97 with spacers and the Rubicon's Moab rims and Goodyear MTR's

Nice! I think I want to put a lift on it. I haven't decided what all I want to do to this Jeep. I definitely can't treat it like I did my last two cars. Haha.

Nice Jeep, BTW.

Keep us informed If you have any questions coming up, fire away

Thanks!!

Do have one question... there's a high pitched squealing noise that's coming from the Sun/Moon roof. Do I just need to replace the weather stripping, or what do you think?

I never had one of those, but it sounds like air getting in. When you close it, can you see any gaps? If you push down on it a little when it's closed, does the noise stop the next time you drive? My concern with hearing the wind at speeds would be it sealing. Water would be more of my concern. Are you sure it's the sun roof or a door. If previous owners had a thing with leaning down on an open car door, that could cause the air problem. I know when I was coming across Nebraska on our way out to Moab, the wind gust were so severe, it caught the top of the door at the roof line and air and rain came in through the door. I ended up cracking the windows and it seemed to relieve the pressure on the doors in that storm. Previous owner may have shut the sun roof with something sticking through may have caused a part of it to bend and not allowing to shut tight. I'm just throwing possibilities out there. Maybe the seal has shrank over time due to the sun and cold, etc. A new one may help, but I would check for anything like loose parts or even a tear in that seal. If water is getting in, you should be able to feel it in one of the foot areas of each seat. Those are the lowest points and water will run between the head liner and roof and down one of the pillars and under the carpet.

Well... it does it open and closed. Haha. And it's definitely the sunroof. It's not as noticeable when it's closed, and when the cover thing is closed as well. I need to hop up there and take a look at it. See what I can find.

Check the inside as well, opened and closed. I'm wondering if a glass company could diagnose the issue or even a body shop.

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Check the inside as well, opened and closed. I'm wondering if a glass company could diagnose the issue or even a body shop.
    I'll do that. Thanks!

You're welcome

Well, I looked... and I honestly have no idea what to look for. I pretended like I did... but it didn't work. Haha. I guess I'll take it somewhere, see what they say.

Body shop probably has to deal with that stuff all the time after a car gets into an accident. Or a glass replacement like I mentioned before...Good luck with that

go to utah4x4club.com and join. there are a lot of members in northern and southern utah